Missouri Clovis

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
I'm new to this forum so for my first post I would like to share my best personal find in over 30 years of surface collecting.
I found this Clovis on June 14th of this year and I'm still flying high off this one!! Enjoy the pics and thanks for looking.
IMG_3666.jpg

clovis1-1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
rockhound85 said:
sweet i have never seen a clovis found on land we always find them in the river and i have only seen a hand full of them along with some suwannee points that is a once in a life time find man great job i am just amazed by it

Thanks Rockhound, I let a bulldozer do all the work, he took out about 3 foot of dirt to level out a spot for a parking lot, got 5 inches of rain the next day so I thought might as well give that spot a look, never been out there before but figured with all that dirt getting moved
if there was anything out there this would bring it up and it was just laying there fully exposed, nothing else around, just a few flakes. There is a natural spring about 50 yards from I found it. I hunted it several times a week right up until they spread the gravel over the area. Not many Clovis found around here. I've seen one other one and heard of 2 more from this county. The other one I saw was a river find, it was a little rough from tumbling around in the river. I was very fortunate to find it and thankful for such a day of good luck.

capgun

Aug 5, 2006
TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax
nice do you have any pictures before you picked it up?

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
I don't have any pictures before I picked it up. I started hunting back in the 70's and it was unheard of to take along a camera. I've never picked up on that aspect of the hobby. Personally I'm a bit superstitious and afraid a camera might jinx the hunt. The image of it just
laying there is forever burned in my mind.

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
gilmerman said:
It may be downhill the rest of the way but at least got to the top

I'm afraid it is all downhill from here but I'm A OK with it!! I burned a big load of luck on this one but I'll keep looking 'cause you never know. I've found a couple of whole blades and a bunch of broken pieces since but nothing great.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Curiosity has got me going, how rare is that thing? And how much would something like that be worth, if it is alot, would there be any dyed in the wool collectors willing to pay, fair market value? When I find a 20,000 dollar artifact, it will be up for grabs, be it coin, CW relic, or made of rare materials..... Sorry, but I have to pay my summer taxes yet, and like most people in these Wonderful United States, I live from day to day..........NGE (T)

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Curiosity has got me going, how rare is that thing? And how much would something like that be worth, if it is alot, would there be any dyed in the wool collectors willing to pay, fair market value? When I find a 20,000 dollar artifact, it will be up for grabs, be it coin, CW relic, or made of rare materials..... Sorry, but I have to pay my summer taxes yet, and like most people in these Wonderful United States, I live from day to day..........NGE (T)
It's a rare item, lots of people hunt a lifetime and never find one. It's not anywhere even remotely close to 20K rare. If it was 5 1/2" long it would be approaching that level. I have no plans on ever selling it. Finding it was a realization of a life long goal/dream. It was a pure stroke of luck. The sequence of events over the past 10 years that brought me to live near where I found this Clovis are pretty amazing so I'm beginning to be a believer in destiny. Thanks to all for your compliments and comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread