Mona Lisa Visits Montana...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
... and it's about time!

I was honored to have Mona Lisa visit for over a week with me here in Montana and share some detecting time with me at my secret-squirl Indian Wars Infantry site. We got out three different days and the weather was perfect! Even though I found two eagle buttons and she didn't - Mona Lisa out detected me on all accounts and grabbed a few great eyeball finds too.

I tried to identify everything so you know what you're looking at...

Mona Lisa & Montana Jim

Lisa & Jim.JPG

Here is some miscellaneous goodies from the first day... .45-70 shells and lead bullets, some awesome square nails, a groovy bayonet scabbard tip (sans finial), a grommet, an eagle button, some unidentifiable twisted decorative brass and other crappola.

Day 1 Total.JPG

button 1.JPG

The next day was a little different and we got into some more trashy areas. We picked up a bunch of glass, a few more bullets and shells, another eagle button, and Lisa found a great variety of cool stuff including the Prince Albert tobacco tin lid, the Colgate tube, the flattened lead musket ball and some stuff to be shown in other pictures.

Day 2 Total.JPG

button 2.JPG

The third day was all about Lisa finding this awesome array of late 1800s stuff (except the button - I’ll claim that) and her bad-assed detecting skills. The round piece is a large locket or watch case cover.

Day 3 Total.JPG

Here is a picture of Mona Lisa enjoying the flawless Montana diggings…

monalisa2.JPG

The next few pictures detail some of the better finds...

1. “Pin Fire” 12 Gauge shotgun shell (Jim)
2. Indian Wars era “spike” for US Army “Pith Helmet” (Lisa)
3. Ponds Cold Cream tin… lipstick tube size (Lisa)
4. Shoulder Board piece – US Army Non-Commissioned Officer (Lisa)
5. Carbine Sling “bat wing” belt end tip (Jim)

Nice Stuff 1.JPG

1. Harmonica Read Boards – matching set! (Lisa)
2. Tin or pot-metal rosette (Lisa)
3. Colgate Co. Shaving Stick container (Lisa)
4. Parker Inkwell bottle (Lisa)
5. Intact and unfired .45-70 round (Lisa)

Nice Stuff 2.JPG

1. Misfired round (Ignited but never fired) (Lisa)
2. Brass longhorn steer unknown… possibly a bolo tie ornament (Jim)

Nice Stuff 3.JPG

And of course, just because I like to share the trash too, this is about half of what we also dug and walked out with.

Trash 1.JPG

Trash 2.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the pictures… thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds. I agree, Lisa is incredible with her DFX. I'm surprised she didn't pull any large cents, she is the Large Cent Queen back home. I've seen her make some great finds and miss hunting with her.

Great job.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
First of all, it is an honor to know that Montana Jim is back to posting...his recoveries from the Montana soil like the old times. Secondly, it is finally good to see you and Mona detecting together on that very same Montana soil. It is always good to see Treasurenet friends getting together and making memories!

Great post like always, Jim! I hope you continue to get out and hunt like you used to! You must!! :headbang:

Kyle

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Pics are perfect,Jim.What a tremendous amount of great finds.Both you and Lisa have been a little tardy on posting lately,it is great that you guys were able to get together and enjoy each other's company.She traveled a long way to get to Montana,so no excuses from either of you on the next 'Rowdy Bunch' tnet hunt we put together here.God Bless!

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Great post Montana Jim. Good to see you digging again. Awesome finds and great pics.

By the way, that first pic of you and Mona is "BANNER".

Good Luck
Randy

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on those great relics. Loved the way you shot the pictures and captions, right down to that belt tip. :icon_thumleft: Looks like you two cleaned up; literally :D

M

michigan michael

WOW! thats alot of digging! congrats on some awesome finds!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim Montana, ;D

Awesome post with some awesome pictures! :icon_thumleft: I have always enjoyed your thrill of finding Indian War buttons. You need to get back on this site and post more often.

As always, you should keep the passion high! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk E. :icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super post Jim, I am sure Lisa enjoyed her Big Sky Country trip, I have really enjoyed my several trips I have had to Great Falls in the past.

I sure hope the ground was a bit easier to dig than when I was pingin in the Cascade area back in the mid 90s, gads, it was like cement in mid July. All I got to show for my efforts were 30.06 casings and some nails and one wheatie. But, did find a lot of Buffalo bones and Indian scrappers below the Buffalo Jump site on my buddies ranch.

Don

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mona Lisa and Montana Jim, :headbang:
I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the pictures
of all the treasures. I miss the country in Montana
(Flathead Lake country) but not the winters. At least
here in Oregon, you don't have to shovel the rain. LOL
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
That looks like an awesome hunt! Nice job on the photo editing skills! You made your presentation of your finds really nice! :) :thumbsup: Hope you guys had fun! :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post,I wish I was there.Dad said it has been in the ninetys..........and snowed last week......Montana weather!

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Sure thank you for posting all. That was a great trip with good company, glad it all worked out sooo well.

Good bunch of finds professionally presented. Very nice.

Last time I made Montana was in 1971 and it was easy to see why it is called "big sky country" Beauty!

BW

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

This was a Beautiful post. It really took me back to remembering so many great posts of yours in the past--and I enjoyed reading it so much. You two really got 'er dug! :thumbsup:

Fantastic company and great finds. That's digging at its finest.

Your post really made my week.

:icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions