Mona Lisa Visits Montana...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
... and it's about time!

I was honored to have Mona Lisa visit for over a week with me here in Montana and share some detecting time with me at my secret-squirl Indian Wars Infantry site. We got out three different days and the weather was perfect! Even though I found two eagle buttons and she didn't - Mona Lisa out detected me on all accounts and grabbed a few great eyeball finds too.

I tried to identify everything so you know what you're looking at...

Mona Lisa & Montana Jim

Lisa & Jim.JPG

Here is some miscellaneous goodies from the first day... .45-70 shells and lead bullets, some awesome square nails, a groovy bayonet scabbard tip (sans finial), a grommet, an eagle button, some unidentifiable twisted decorative brass and other crappola.

Day 1 Total.JPG

button 1.JPG

The next day was a little different and we got into some more trashy areas. We picked up a bunch of glass, a few more bullets and shells, another eagle button, and Lisa found a great variety of cool stuff including the Prince Albert tobacco tin lid, the Colgate tube, the flattened lead musket ball and some stuff to be shown in other pictures.

Day 2 Total.JPG

button 2.JPG

The third day was all about Lisa finding this awesome array of late 1800s stuff (except the button - I’ll claim that) and her bad-assed detecting skills. The round piece is a large locket or watch case cover.

Day 3 Total.JPG

Here is a picture of Mona Lisa enjoying the flawless Montana diggings…

monalisa2.JPG

The next few pictures detail some of the better finds...

1. “Pin Fire” 12 Gauge shotgun shell (Jim)
2. Indian Wars era “spike” for US Army “Pith Helmet” (Lisa)
3. Ponds Cold Cream tin… lipstick tube size (Lisa)
4. Shoulder Board piece – US Army Non-Commissioned Officer (Lisa)
5. Carbine Sling “bat wing” belt end tip (Jim)

Nice Stuff 1.JPG

1. Harmonica Read Boards – matching set! (Lisa)
2. Tin or pot-metal rosette (Lisa)
3. Colgate Co. Shaving Stick container (Lisa)
4. Parker Inkwell bottle (Lisa)
5. Intact and unfired .45-70 round (Lisa)

Nice Stuff 2.JPG

1. Misfired round (Ignited but never fired) (Lisa)
2. Brass longhorn steer unknown… possibly a bolo tie ornament (Jim)

Nice Stuff 3.JPG

And of course, just because I like to share the trash too, this is about half of what we also dug and walked out with.

Trash 1.JPG

Trash 2.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the pictures… thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
That's an inspirational post Montana Jim. :thumbsup: You put a lot of work into that - the mini history lesson is appreciated.

Jim

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Thanks for posting this and letting us all share in the great time you and Lisa had togeather! I want to know when your going to her place to detect now, looking for more great pics of T-net friends being togeather in a beautiful spot for a hunt! You all have some FANTASTIC finds there. And the weather does look BEAUTIFUL too ! :icon_sunny:

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Wow, what a great trip you had. Very nice finds. Too bad those jar lids didn't have the jar attached and fill with a coin cache. Thanks for sharing.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
With all that digging, looks like you guys were real busy out there!

Congrats on all the great finds, Jim, and thanks for the excellent picture ID's you included! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Jim I just found your post !!! I love seeing the treasures > even the rusty ones :) Great seeing the post with Mona and yourself > Mona looks darn good to have been out digging > True beauty inside and out :) AND YES you're still Handsome :headbang:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) You two look GREAT!!! I saw the beautiful pics Lisa put up on FB. Amazing scenery!

Congrats on the finds and the good times!!

Nana :wink:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt and post. I enjoyed the journey and finds. You guys rock. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
TnMountains

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
CarolinaDigs said:
Jim I just found your post !!! I love seeing the treasures > even the rusty ones :) Great seeing the post with Mona and yourself > Mona looks darn good to have been out digging > True beauty inside and out :) AND YES you're still Handsome :headbang:

There you are - Sweet CarolinaDigs! Nice to see you posting again! :) It was a great time sharing the detecting spot with such a babe, er, i mean "dedicated detectorist". We had a great visit and she found some awesome goodies! Thanks for stopping by... :-*

Nana40 said:
8) You two look GREAT!!! I saw the beautiful pics Lisa put up on FB. Amazing scenery!

Congrats on the finds and the good times!!

Nana :wink:

Thanks Nana... :) Maybe I should check facebook... I never go there, it's a scary place. The weather was almost perfect for her visit so the pics came out awesome! It's hard to find diggin's as great as yours are though... we'll try again sometime soon.

Everyone... thanks again... I thought this post might fade away quickly but with Lisa finding all this great stuff I guess I was wrong. :) Thanks for commenting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions