More help needed from the new guy

ugunaeatthat?

Jun 22, 2012
Seabeck, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not real savvy with the computer so I just posted some pics, apparently in random order...sorry.

Top left and bottom right are the same rock, I have no clue.

Top right and kitty corner are same, kinda looks like hardened clay?

Left side fourth from top, is that a conglomerate? Very colorfull and I'm wondering if there is a market say for cut and polished slabs of such rocks?

Right side fourth from top and kitty corner are same. This one has a gnarley crust and is slightly magnetic. Magnetite? Hemetite? Meteorite? Meteorwrong more likely:sadsmiley:

Bottom left and kitty corner are same, I wanted to see what it looked like inside and put it on a bench grinder.

Any info would be a huge help and much appreciated.

Thank you.
rocks 036.jpg rocks 002.jpg rocks 003.jpg rocks 004.jpg rocks 006.jpg rocks 007.jpg rocks 014.jpg rocks 024.jpg rocks 025.jpg rocks 031.jpg rocks 032.jpg rocks 035.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Top left looks like chalcedony of some kind, but fine grained quartzite can also be quite similar.
Can you hammer it to expose a fresh surface?
If you can see a fine, gain like structure one might lean more towards quartzite it not - chalcedony.

Top right might be a greenstone or a quartzite, chalcedony might still be a candidate.
I'm leaning more towards quartzite. The second row looks about the same.
A fresh surface would help, again.

Third row, left might be reminants of a granite (light in colour) and some other kind of rock. Maybe basalt or diabase.

Third row, right resembles jasper? It is quite hard and tends to have a wax looking surface in a freshly exposed surface.

Fourth row, left might indeed be a conglomerate. I would saw it open to see the potential for slabs better.
Right could be a diabase or gabbro, depending on the grain size of the minerals.

Fift row,
Left: Same as above, diabase or gabbro.
Right: basalt, maybe? It looks interesting either way!

Looks like you might want to read up on the rock forming minerals. :)

Upvote 0

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
My votes:

top row: Left, wild guess mixed cryptocrystalline quartz and calcite formed in a fracture zone in limestone. Middle and right cryptocrystalline quartz, or possibly onyx.

second row: Left and middle no opinion, I've seen stuff like this locally but not bothered to identify it. Right, just about the reddest jasper I've ever seen, and the iron oxides responsible for the coloration......... hmmm.. PM me, ug, maybe we can work something out.

third row: I've seen this kind of stuff locally but not bothered to identify it. Left probably granitic. Other two, probably mostly calcite. ....... What you've got there is river rocks which have been displaced from their source, so we haven't got much geological context other than that the rocks survived the trip downstream and were tough enough to become rounded rather than smashed to bits.

fourth row: left and middle black cryptocrystalline quartz, right cryptocrystalline quartz with ferric iron pigmentation.

--Dave J.

PS: the more I look at your photos, the more it all looks like stuff I've seen in the Franklins. In the Franklins, rocks are presumed calcite or cryptocrystalline quartz formed in association with calcite, until proven otherwise.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread