spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stockpicker, I'm really surprised when I read some of your comments. It appears that you have left out the correlation between accidental death's and murder. Just because murder is committed by malice, and accidents mostly through misfortune, doesn't mean diddly squat :laughing7:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is correlation, but one also needs to see causality. Just because something is correlated doesn't necessarily lead one to any conclusion. But feel free to add anything you want - I've only got so much time to post.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
There is correlation, but one also needs to see causality. Just because something is correlated doesn't necessarily lead one to any conclusion. But feel free to add anything you want - I've only got so much time to post.

Correlation does not equal causality. Tried this approach prior, very few understood what I was saying. Lol, they are called fallacies for a reason. ;)

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best class I ever took in college was logic. I love symbolic logic where you create proofs like geometry proofs. Really helps to put structure to a thought process.

Scary how so many people continue to use and be manipulated by simple logical fallacies. Schools should be teaching courses on skepticism IMO. Best.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin said:
Correlation does not equal causality. Tried this approach prior, very few understood what I was saying. Lol, they are called fallacies for a reason. ;)

Best class I ever took in college was logic. I love symbolic logic where you create proofs like geometry proofs. Really helps to put structure to a thought process.

Scary how so many people continue to use and be manipulated by simple logical fallacies. Schools should be teaching courses on skepticism IMO. Best.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I just woke up and have to run soon too.

All I mean is that there are too many here comparing apples to oranges :tongue3:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
Sorry, but I just woke up and have to run soon too.

All I mean is that there are too many here comparing apples to oranges :tongue3:

Yes, you are correct. It is not a logical argument (it is considered a fallacy) to make the statement. Cars are legal and kill people therefore guns should be legal even though they kill people.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
you lost me on this one. Are you proposing we eat human flesh? Can you expound on this point?

Sure, I'll try...

Some people go outside the boundaries of what we consider civilized behavior. Some people look for the easy answer to solve the problem. They then want to apply their simple answer to all.

Ban guns. Take a pill. Don't take a pill. No alcohol under 21. Register the bullets and on and on.

This mans death is a loss to our country. He was a true hero. He was trying to help the person who ended his life.

Nobody saw it coming. It was tragic.

No pill, no lack of pill, no psych test, no profile... nothing would have prevented this tragedy.

$hit happens. This is life.

People are quick to jump onto a cause to be part of the pack. Look at me! I'm saying good things! I'm one of the pack! Everyone- quick, be impressed with me!

Bumper stickers of pro-life people. Ask them if they ever adopted an unwanted child. Nope, just part of the pack. Look at me!!!

Because a few, a very few, people go outside the boundaries of our established society, these same do-gooder people want to start beating a drum. Ban guns, ban pills, take pills, ban abortion, don't buy beer on Sunday....

Do you know why you always take two Baptists fishing with you?

Because if you take one, he will drink all your beer. If you take two, they won't drink any.

People are people. Some of them go nuts. It happens. There is not one solution that will apply to the masses to make sure it will never happen again.

It will happen again.

It has, all through history.

Now, go outside and play.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess you went outside to play... good for you.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess you went outside to play... good for you.

I wish! I worked all day. Thanks for the explanation...but I still don't see what any of that has to do with eating human flesh. No worries, I'm probably just a little slow tonight.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

What do you mean tonight....I thought it was the norm.....I'm sorry dude it was just to tempting.....I had this little devil on my shoulder shouting at me.....he did it again.....Crispin left the door wide open......now's your chance....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

I wish! I worked all day. Thanks for the explanation...but I still don't see what any of that has to do with eating human flesh. No worries, I'm probably just a little slow tonight.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeffrey did a bad thing. We didn't ban eating.

1927, Bath school disaster. We didn't ban dynamite.

There were 23,059 crashes involving 16- to 19-year-olds in 2008, resulting in 194 deaths In PA alone. We didn't ban cell phones.

Sandy Hook tragedy happens. Lets ban guns. Why?

What about saving the thousands of children from cell phone deaths?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Difference is MASS murder/killing at ONE time (Sandy Hook... Va. Tech) vs one-by-one death, which is not usually seen.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeffrey did a bad thing. We didn't ban eating.

1927, Bath school disaster. We didn't ban dynamite.

There were 23,059 crashes involving 16- to 19-year-olds in 2008, resulting in 194 deaths In PA alone. We didn't ban cell phones.

Sandy Hook tragedy happens. Lets ban guns. Why?

What about saving the thousands of children from cell phone deaths?

I'm with you on the cell phones thing. I hate it when people drive with those things. We should definitely ban talking on a cell phone while driving. Not too sure about dynamite, but I think we should ban it for recreational use.

Now back to the eating human flesh thing. He killed people and then he eat them. It wasn't the eating of the flesh that killed them. However, we should definitely ban cannibalistic serial killers, I'm all for that as well.

I'm not a doctor or anything...but I'm pretty sure if we ban eating then we will all die.

In conclusion, I still don't see the correlation with Jeffrey Dahmer, but we did find a lot of other things we agree on.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm with you on the cell phones thing. I hate it when people drive with those things. We should definitely ban talking on a cell phone while driving. Not too sure about dynamite, but I think we should ban it for recreational use.

Now back to the eating human flesh thing. He killed people and then he eat them. It wasn't the eating of the flesh that killed them. However, we should definitely ban cannibalistic serial killers, I'm all for that as well.

I'm not a doctor or anything...but I'm pretty sure if we ban eating then we will all die.

In conclusion, I still don't see the correlation with Jeffrey Dahmer, but we did find a lot of other things we agree on.

BUT! I use dynamite for FISHING!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel,

You're much to ethical to use dynamite for fishing.....youz be just playing with our head.

One thing I find which is a bit of an oxymoron is they have the Nobel Peace Prize and the funds are donated by the heirs of the Nobel family who invented/patented dynamite.....go figure....heck even Spart couldn't come up with a twisted post like that....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel,

You're much to ethical to use dynamite for fishing.....youz be just playing with our head.

One thing I find which is a bit of an oxymoron is they have the Nobel Peace Prize and the funds are donated by the heirs of the Nobel family who invented/patented dynamite.....go figure....heck even Spart couldn't come up with a twisted post like that....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Don't challenge him. Who knows what will all end up with...and have to endure.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Difference is MASS murder/killing at ONE time (Sandy Hook... Va. Tech) vs one-by-one death, which is not usually seen.

Do you know what the Bath school disaster in 1927 was about?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIB,

Yep....here's the link....another sad case of someone going postal and killing innocent children.....and I agree no amount of rules, regulations, controls is going to make this stuff go away.....but whenever these types of things happen....there's lots of pressures for the powers that be to put controls in place to counteract the situation.

Kind of like putting your finger in the dike to stop the water from leaking out.......a bandaid solution at best.

Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards + HH

Bill

Do you know what the Bath school disaster in 1927 was about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread