Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all..... Just got back from another week at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.... I had one day (last thursday) with no appointments, so I figured I would try out some of the local parks... I found one about 7 miles from the motel and it was a tot-lot next to a school. Regular tot-lot, medium sized, and an adjacent Basketball court along side of it.. I have been making a point lately of hitting the areas of tot-lot's away from the heavy traffic/play areas, as so many of the lots I hit lately seem to have been picked clean right around the play areas. This has paid off on several trips as nothing is found in the usual areas, but I find stuff on the perimeter and even around the bench's where moms sit and watch..
I hadnt gone ten feet into the area when the MXT went off with a scattered but strong signal, bouncing back and forth between nickel/ring range and 1 cent/10 cent range... Usually this finds a disfigured or rusty bottle cap, but I am keeping to my promise to dig everything... It says the object is 8" down, so I start digging.. Nothing in the hole, nothing in the pile of chips/dirt next to the hole.. Sweep again and it says it is still in the hole.. I take the pinpointer out and probe the hole, and on the inside of the hole at about 7" it goes off... So I take the lesche and dig away at the side a bit and when the dirt falls, there it is.. Another silver chain!!! Man oh man, how can I be so lucky?!? So I grab it, and pick away at the dirt as I pull... Out she comes and it is a lovely 24" silver chain!! Man I am so pumped... Put it deep in my pocket so I dont lose it, and continue to work the lot... The first pic is of the rest of the stuff I found, the big earrings look like gold, but I cannot find stamps on them anywhere so they cant be... But man, when I saw them shining down in the holes at first, I was simply dumbfounded at my streak of good luck... As a side note, the area I was hunting was NOT in a good area of Jax... I found 2 .32 loaded bullets, and one .38 cal deformed bullet that had obviously been shot into the dirt.. GULP... Ended up with $4.38 in clad at this spot also, which was a bonus..... Now back to the necklace...
I get back to the motel, of course I am so excited to tell the wife about the necklace.. But first I wash it off.. Didnt look right, but oh well, it may have tinted due to the tannin in the wood chips or something. After I show the wife the other stuff I found and the clad, I then pull the chain out of my pocket and proudly show her "look, another silver chain!"... She of course was happy, but as I handed it to her, she says "this one must be thicker than the other one you found, it feels heavier".... Oh man, I suddenly feel a lump in my throat, thinking that maybe I simply found a cheap chain that is silver plated... "I never looked for the .925 mark, I guess I should before I get too excited"... I pull out the mag glass, and nervously look at the clasp.... WHAT?!?!?!? Yes, you guessed it, "ITALY 14K".... OMG, I couldnt believe it! The MXT had just more than twice paid for itself!!!
Just got back home last night, and first thing I did was weigh it... 43.89 gms!
I have to wonder how people lose things like that. The clasp is not broken, but has a slight gap in it, just enough for the other side to slip through if you move it just right.. I guess someone was running or such and as it bounced around, it fell off.... Maybe someone running from a bullet?? LOL...

Enjoy the pictures folks, I am still grinning from ear to ear... Of course, with the med bills I have and such, it will have to go to the gold buyers, either midwest or ARAgold... Leaning toward ARAgold though...

First pic is of the odd's and ends jewelry, then the whole chain, then the clasp that says it all....

Attachments

• jax finds.jpg
    jax finds.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 9,381
  • 14k.jpg
    14k.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 9,444
  • 14k_2.jpg
    14k_2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 9,526
Upvote 0

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MXT pays for itself (and then some)..... Lucky Day!!!

bigcypresshunter said:
Could the gold plating have come off underground?
Don't know, but will find out soon and I will be nervous until I do.... The whole chain had more of a yellow "tinge" to it when held next to my silver chain, I would sure think that any plating of gold wouldnt have come off as evenly as what this chain was like... Very consistent in color from one end to the other...

If it isnt gold, do they plate sterling, or simply mark sterling as 14k?? What would it be made of to make it so heavy? I would still be happy if it was silver...
I think I will call ARA today and see if they received it yet... Will keep all posted..

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't know, but will find out soon and I will be nervous until I do.... The whole chain had more of a yellow "tinge" to it when held next to my silver chain, I would sure think that any plating of gold wouldnt have come off as evenly as what this chain was like... Very consistent in color from one end to the other...

If it isnt gold, do they plate sterling, or simply mark sterling as 14k?? What would it be made of to make it so heavy? I would still be happy if it was silver...
I think I will call ARA today and see if they received it yet... Will keep all posted..

I would think its gold plate over silver / you said you believed it was white gold, I've dug a few
white gold rings and they almost look solid silver. but gold in the ground has no tarnish and no
discoloration from being in the ground.
when you get such a mix of colors blended it makes me think twice.

Something that catches my eye more are where there are scratches or nicks.
real gold looks the same in and out of the scratches and nicks regardless of size.
but if there is any color differance in the nicks at all... its for sure plated of some sort.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Chaz said:
I do hope if this one should unfortunately turn out to be a fake that it will not just disappear from the banner. I want to follow the story, and see how it turns out.
I think it will remain in the banner (if its not gold) unless the owner requests it to be removed. I correctly IDed a 15th century Chinese cash coin as a modern copy and it is still here in the banner. It makes for interesting reading.

Yes there is such a thing as gold plated sterling..

It almost appears to be corrosion on the round link above the part marked 14K but it may be an illusion. I hope its solid Gold! :icon_thumright:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

I hope for you that it's real... What I thought was my best find ever at 19 grams, turned out to be plated.

Attachments

• johnsnew434.jpg
    johnsnew434.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5,568

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Just wondering if Silver Surfer ever had the chain tested to find out if it was the real deal.

:dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Ray S ECenFL

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ray S ECenFL said:
Just wondering if Silver Surfer ever had the chain tested to find out if it was the real deal.

:dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Ray S ECenFL
I sent it in to ARA prior to all the posts about whether it was real or not.... Waiting to hear from them. Had included a 14k large mens wedding band and a couple small 10k pendants, so I know I will be receiving a check, just dont know for how much.... I will let you guys know the minute I know whether it was real or fake...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Was it gold?

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007

Nice job! Your philosophy of digging everything is good -- its a good habit.
Let us know what ARA says about that chain.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

There is an innexpensive way to test your own finds it is with acid you can buy from jeweler supply companies they will send you instructions how to test the bottles cost little but require care and attention so as not to injure yourself. My brother the jeweler uses these to test gold to see what he is buying as scrap. This is great if you have a ring/chain that you probably will scrap out anyhow.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Chaz said:
This is turning into an educational thread! I hope your chain is the real deal, and if it is, I will have learned a few things. I bought a chain that was marked, but which turned out to be fake several years ago, so I've had an interest in learning a bit about the fakes. Mine was also marked on one end only, and no stamp on the clasp. In looking at a bunch of real chains- mostly smaller feminine ones, I see they are often if not always marked on both ends, and the clasp is marked (as pointed out in an earlier post.) If this chain turns out to be a fake, it will fit into that pattern, but if real, then I'll have to rethink my 'quick fake' test. My fake was quite heavy, and when I looked online at various real chain dealers, the weight per inch was very close to that of similar real gold chain, so it would seem that the weight or heft of the piece is not a good determining factor. But, I'll admit, the more I looked at good quality heavy gold chains, the more I wanted one! :) I do hope if this one should unfortunately turn out to be a fake that it will not just disappear from the banner. I want to follow the story, and see how it turns out. Maybe hear other stories of real or fake ones. You know, this is the kind of thing that may turn up at a yard sale or flea market where it may really be real, and one could got a great deal. Knowing what to look for other than weight or markings could be the difference between a bargain, or a skunk...

I agree, the more each of us learns, the better off we will be in identifying finds in the future. In either case, you've had one of the most exciting finds of your detecting career, and real or not, you're learning as you go. I'd take that kind of learning experience any day, and probably be as excited as your were. Congratulations on a really exciting find, and the banner as well!

Be Blessed!

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck, cant wait to find out.... The suspense is killing me. I sent an email to ARA, they should be done with it by now, will be sure to post what they say... Good luck Ankh!
BTW, did you find your chain too?
I go back to Jax on the 12th for a Cardiac Cath and ablation procedure.... I hope to hit that tot-lot again, but not sure if I will be able to.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was yours at least silver Tom? I wont be completely disappointed if mine is at least gold plated sterling... It was really heavy... Heavier than the same length sterling chain I also found.. Please dont tell me that their is fake sterling out there too?? LOL...

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not keeping my hopes up... At least I know the other stuff I sent in is Gold... I have to wonder what they use to make the chain as heavy as gold though...

We'll see....

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

Silver Surfer said:
I am not keeping my hopes up... At least I know the other stuff I sent in is Gold... I have to wonder what they use to make the chain as heavy as gold though...

We'll see....

Do they send back what they don't want or just toss it?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I left them a message, no reply yet.. I have a feeling you lose it, but they do send back stones... I know that their site says that any residual silver, etc., they keep... But if it is junk, it probably gets tossed as they melt it down, then measure the amount of gold that is separated out, then pay on that amount... If they melt the necklace and it has no gold, it would already be melted down.. I guess we will see... I am hoping of course that it is real, but have my doubts now..

The suspense is killing me...

HH

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh it's real! I know that money will come in handy for you.

Chaz

Aug 3, 2007
Carlisle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab

People who drop pop tops and fake gold should be banished from parks, beaches, tot lots, school yards, old house sites, farm fields...

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow what a great thread
the info on t-net is worth more then all my metal detectors
if its not real it should remain on the banner just so others can learn how to spot the fakes

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found a chain stamped 14K, but it was in brackish water, the plating was worn off in several places so it was easy to spot. Eventually I think I will have to invest in one of those Mizar electronic gold testers. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread