J

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To my understanding, the DFX coils are all interchangeable with MXT Pro and MXT. Pretty much the same machine other than ground grab and backlit screen. (MXT/Pro). Also known as the 9.5" concentric coil. I use the 10" DD almost all the time now. I got a few minies at about 14 inches.

Congrats! I ordered my 10" today from Whites. Couldn't find them at other vendors due to out of stock/high order volume. I got my 5.3" today... and am jonesing to get out with it... too much other stuff competing with my MD time this week!

JMB

OP
OP
J

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showed up late thursday and it has been raining non stop since! Might get out late today to try the brand new 5.3 and dd 10.

Either way will be fun on vacation this week!

JMB

OP
OP
J

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, here is my day 1 update using the 5.3 and DD2 10" coil on my mxt pro, instead of the 12" shipped coil.

6:30am - don't have an extra rod yet so I pulled my 12 off and put the 5.3 on. Haven't had breakfast or coffee due to eagerness to get out, so my will power is waning fast...

6:40am - i'm in the local kiddy park, 5.3 is TINY and i'm looking at the park thinking "it will take me 3.8 years to detect this place with this coil". Nevertheless I get going. Grounded the unit on the outer edge of the mulchy area and get rolling. Immediately go to the areas that are noisy on the 12... could get a few inches closer but the all metal park is not going to let me get close to anything (2feet-3feet). I'm a bit disappointed, but figure i'll just see how well it works around the area.

7:00am - been going 20 minutes strong. Not a beep, peep, or chirp.

7:15am - really getting frustrated... hovering over foil on the surface of the mulch and it appears the pinpoint area is about 2 square inches big at most if I am adamant at swinging over and over on the foil. Discrim is set to zero, set to 8 through +1, all same. A decent piece of foil will not ring up well.

7:30 - almost a full hour of actual use on the 5.3 and I think I know what I think about the 5.3

7:40 - walk back to truck, swap out to the brand new DD2 10" coil. Wondering how much I can get for the 5.3 if I list it to resell it.

7:45 - back in park, within 10 feet ring up a penny at 2 inches. Slide foot across surface and there it is.

8:05 - did quick sweap of the small part of the park, no hits other than the penny. A few deep signals but after digging and digging and not being able to pinpoint I gave up (pull tab rings). I go over the same foil I tried hitting with the 5.3 and it rings up great. Good signal, and wide range.

8:10 step off kiddy area into area I know about 500 people mingled in the day before. Almost immediately the mxt starts beeping over and over, high pitch, penny, quarter, dime, dime, penny... etc. within about a 5 square foot area I found the rest of my finds: 1 quarter, 2 dimes, and 5 pennies. all essentially on surface or just under the grass coverage. Took a while to undestand the pinpointing on the DD but think I got pretty decent by the end.

8:45 - several small digs, and surface looks for dimes and pennies came up empty with continued pings. Got a bit frustrated at my inability to pinpoint with the DD again already. Decide to head home as it is already getting very muggy and hot.

All said I enjoyed the DD2 10", did not enjoy the 5.3 but will give it another try, but am not sure yet that the 10" is any better than the 12. Granted I only have 2 hours of detecting in with it and will spend many more hours the coming week.

Anyone else find similar "early" experience with these 2 coils. By no means am I giving up, just had that high "I'm going to find gold expectation" I always have before going out *wink*.

JMB

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All said I enjoyed the DD2 10", did not enjoy the 5.3 but will give it another try, but am not sure yet that the 10" is any better than the 12. Granted I only have 2 hours of detecting in with it and will spend many more hours the coming week.

Anyone else find similar "early" experience with these 2 coils. By no means am I giving up, just had that high "I'm going to find gold expectation" I always have before going out *wink*.

JMB

Yep, I had similar experience with my 5.3. While I've found a decent amount of coins at decent depths, I just don't really care for it. I much prefer how the 4x6 works. One strange thing about the 5.3, it overloads and faults out on nickels (air test). Thought maybe it was a bad coil but I took my machine & coil to a different dealer and we tried two MXT/P's and 3 different 5.3 coils all with the same result. Overload on nickels! Strange!
My D2 experience was great right from the start. Loved it! For me it turned it from a really good machine to a GREAT machine. The MXT/P matched with the D2 was magic for me. Only downside for me is it's prone to emi. When I turn on my Pro Pointer within 2ft of that coil, the noise emanating from the detector is annoying enough that I usually remove my headphone so I don't have to listen to it. Small price I guess.

PetersburgPeter

Feb 11, 2013
Petersburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites Bullseye Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found that the D2 coil pinpoints just south n east of the decal on coil. Its very sensitive so sometimes you will chase small bits of cans and foil. That D2 will bang under a good target. Keep swingn'.Dig those iffy deep ones! HH

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed the d2, pinpoints on my v3i exactly where u said right on

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same for me on the D2 pinpoint area. The 4x6 is like a laser on the pinpoint on my V3i but I only use it in trashy areas because of the time it takes to cover an area. I will hit it first with my D2 and cherry pick and then go slow over the areas I think might be hiding silver in the iron and trash with the 4x6. Been working good for me do far.

OP
OP
J

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good. May try to srick with the DD first and go back over the trashy areas.
Thanks for all the info.

JMB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread