My 10 year old son almost hit for the cycle- nickels

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 10 year old son almost hit for the cycle- nickels. Updated w/pics

I haven't posted in a while but just had to share this story.

I picked up $100 in nickels (mix of customer and plastic wrapped rolls) for my 10 year old son today since they are his favorite to search. He was doing really well and found 3 war nickels and a 1920 buffalo nickel. I am searching some halves when I hear him say "what the heck is this". I know it must be good because in the past he has found two V nickels (1901 & 1902) plus plenty of buffalo and war nickles and knows what they are. He slides the coin to me and all is see is a 5 with stars all around it. I flip it over and see a brief outline of a shield. I couldn't believe it...our first shield nickel! I tell him to go get the Red Book and the magnifying glass since I didn't know anything about shield nickels. I am unable to see a date and was wondering if there is a way to clean the coin without ruining it even more. It is definitely a variety two so it has to at least be from 1883. This is now the oldest CRH coin we have ever found!

He wasn't able to find a V nickel to complete the cycle but this was one of his best boxes ever and he couldn't wait to call his mom and let her know what he found.

*I can't get my pictures to load but will try again later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 0

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is exciting!!! A common way to clean them amongst the circle of detectorists I pal around with is to use an SoS pad. No joke it works well. I mean a dug nickle is almost always worthless, but they sure do look a lot better after a trip through the pad.

ScrugneysGunDogs

Apr 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a product called Nic-a-Date. I've used it on Buffalo nickels. It ought to work on yours.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Doesn't vinegar and salt work? I read it here on the forum, so maybe one of the experts can clarify for us.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
For dateless buffs either Nic A Date or salt and vinegar for 3 days. I've got rolls and rolls of dateless buffs. My LCS sells them for $4 a roll. I'm going to try different things. I think even using a Q tip and droping the vinegar salt solution on the date it might bring it out instead of submerging it in the solution. More info to come. I'll try everything from Soap to Coca Cola on some of them. Will let you know on the results.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that is exciting!!! A common way to clean them amongst the circle of detectorists I pal around with is to use an SoS pad. No joke it works well. I mean a dug nickle is almost always worthless, but they sure do look a lot better after a trip through the pad.

I would rather put it in vinegar and salt than SoS it. Vinegar and salt would be good for this coin, but monitor it daily to remove it at the right time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread