My best days detecting shared with great friends...

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hi Everyone,
Let me first tell you about TnT2000, KenPA and wife Linda, & JohnyMc. We've been hunting together for some time now and I couldn't find better people to share this hobby with. We share information, and when hunting in a huge area, we radio each other when we stumble onto a hot spot to get everyone in there.
Now onto the finds. Ken got us into a new spot 'bout a mile from the "off the beaten trail spot". Man is this site hot. I hunted a little on Friday, a few hours Saturday and a couple hours after Easter Mass. On Friday, I got my first Flying Eagle cent (no date), a couple IH's, and my first silver in almost 5 months a Merc (42) and a Barber dime (02). The merc was in a hole with 8 wheaties.
Saturday I was back in the same area finding nothing, so I moved about 200 yards to the other end of the wood lot. Man did that payoff. I got three 2 centers, some more IH's, and another Barber dime (07). One of the 2 cent pieces is 12 sided and I can't find any information about it. Sunday we were right back in there. I got some more IH's and 2 V's (1883 and 1895). Just as I was leaving, Ken and his wife pulled seated dimes and I had to stay for 10 more minutes. I got lucky and pulled an 1875cc seated dime about 15 yards from Ken.
I also got some nice buttons, a ring, a handfull of wheaties & clad, and other relics. All in all, this was the best three day outing I've ever had.
Thanks for reading and HH,
Mark

PS IH dates (1860, (2) 1864, 1865, 1867, 1890, 1897)

Attachments

• 1 centers obverse.jpg
    1 centers obverse.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 2 cent group obverse.jpg
    2 cent group obverse.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • 2 cent group reverse.jpg
    2 cent group reverse.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • odd 2 cent obverse.jpg
    odd 2 cent obverse.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,402
  • odd 2 cent reverse.jpg
    odd 2 cent reverse.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,398
  • silver obverse.jpg
    silver obverse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • silver reverse.jpg
    silver reverse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,387
  • v nickels obverse.jpg
    v nickels obverse.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,379
  • relics.jpg
    relics.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,369
Upvote 0

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Holy silver finds Batman!!!! Yea, that is what I would call a weekend!!!! I am so curious about that 12 sider!!! Someone here will know.

I would sure be pounding that spot this season!!!!!

Good times good friends good finds!!! Doesnt get any better than that!!

Good post!!!

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe
That 12 sider is intriguing. 2 centers were only minted from 1864 to 1872 (with proof sets only minted in 1873). That would have to make it an 1864 coin- being 1864 is the only year that style of coin was minted in a year ending in 4. Maybe someone hammered the coin to give it the 12 sides - they seem a little off centered from the stamping.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow. Couldn't ask for much more. Great haul of old coins. I haven't found a 2 cent coin yet. That alone would be awesome.

It is great when you get at least one or two others to hunt with - it really does help make a big area more huntable.

Bob

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac
What a great spot!!! Thank-you so much for sharing-keeps my hopes up that great old coins are still out there to be found!

OP
OP
markgPA

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
paul1410 said:
WOW, nice old coins!

Any idea what used to be there to yield such a variety of old coins?

We think there was a civil war/post civil war era encampment. A resevoir was nearby and it lies just outside of town. Ken got pointed to the location by a local. I just got a call from Johny and TnT. They were there this morning and found more..... I'm going back tonight.
Thanks
Mark G

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! You shamed my entire MD career in a single weekend. Fantastic display of MD'ing.

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks Mark for the great comments, We sure enjoy hunting with you guys. Just seeing the stuff thats comming out of the ground is amazing to us. I can't wait to see what that 2 cent coin is. I think there are many great things below the dirt there, and it's our duty to save them from being buried eternally and we must answer the call to duty. Thanks for all the fun.
Ken and Linda

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
It's cool when u can make finds with friends, unfortunately there's hardly no detectorists up here lol. Good day fore sure.

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
markgPA said:
paul1410 said:
WOW, nice old coins!

Any idea what used to be there to yield such a variety of old coins?

We think there was a civil war/post civil war era encampment. A resevoir was nearby and it lies just outside of town. Ken got pointed to the location by a local. I just got a call from Johny and TnT. They were there this morning and found more..... I'm going back tonight.
Thanks
Mark G

Thanks for the reply, Mark.
That site sounds really neat. Good Luck!
We hope to hear more from here!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like that would make any day a nice day, but amoung friends its the best
Congrats!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
holy smokes all !!! what an amazing spot.... this is the type of site we all dream about...... all the best with it,, and keep em comin.... ;D ;D
i hope it's a year long area.....

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Mark, great old coins you guys got there. Glad to see they came out of that area also. My daughter is up in Stroudsburg. Last I got a chance to come back to Pa and see her, my new granddaughter and meet my new son-in-law.

I brought a detector back with me and found a 1882 IH and a few wheats which really got my son-in-law interested in MDing. I told him I had a older machine at home that I would send back to him. Well got it packed and it going out this week.

Going to send him your post and show him what is possible from your area. Hopefully that will peak his interest and give him something to keep him involved in the hobby. Sure would be nice to have alot more older coins in the Oregon area. Know if heard of finds like that here I might spend more time away from clad hunting.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Awesome finds, wow what a great place to detect.
Congrats on all your finds

Eddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread