My Best Love Token

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a local lake was drained that used to have an 1890's amusement park located on it shores, I found this wonderful love token.

The love token is unusual in that both sides of the coin were engraved, whereas normally just the reverse side is engraved. Oh, it was a Seated Liberty Quarter.

Our metal detecting club had a guest speaker who is an expert on Love Tokens and he really like this one for being unique in that manner. I was told it would be OK to clean up the staining on it from the hundred years of sitting under water, but I have never done so. It is pretty enough just the way I found it......

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• 1890LoveToken.jpg
    1890LoveToken.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 649
Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Nice unique connection with real life.

Your 110% correct, keep it as is!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy, I tried looking up those initials for residents of that time frame in hopes of determining who the two individuals were, but I got nowhere. Our population in Southern New Jersey at that time was not too big, so I thought I had a shot at it.

I wonder if the top set of initials are the guy and the bottom the gal, or vica versa. I do remember when I was looking for the names I was trying the lower set of initials as the guy, since in 1890 in this area, you would most likely be more affluent to get a love token made and the initials FNW matched those of a prominant manufacturer in our area, but I believe the age was not right for making one for a gal or the one initial was wrong, not sure.

But, maybe someday I will stumble upon the names and than that would be something very special to know. :)

Don

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice token! I have a Indian Head cent with a similar design. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very special..... I wish we had tokens here in South Africa ::)

God bless
Peter

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exellent Find Don, Beautifull Workmanship.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not quite the same, but close.

Attachments

• Love token 002.jpg
    Love token 002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 580
  • Love token 002.jpg
    Love token 002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 576

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find!! Never found one of those...it's on my wishlist!

D

dugupfinds

In the UK Love Tokens were popular between 1790-1830. They were mainly William III sixpences (as pictured), the wealthy would use shillings. They were bend in opposite directions & discarded in a favourite spot never to be found again!!

Not as pretty as yours.

Attachments

• tokens.JPG
    tokens.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 528

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread