My first Cannon!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I found a cannon today!!! Well kinda....Anyone have any ideas...I found this at the site of a war of 1812 cantonment where they had an active base of operations going until 1843. I found it directly across the trail from the officers quarters (this building is still standing) I only dug this one signal...my first due to the downpour of rain but after all the research i had to try to find at least 1 signal! In any event it is the coolest thing ive found in a while!

6hdb2gg.jpg

6bwumg7.jpg

5z251mx.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
paul1410 said:
Very cool, outraged!

Did you have a chance to check around for related parts (wheels, etc.)?

Keep us posted.
I am going to check for them tonight...I pulled out this part and ran for the car...Rain was insane!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger is correct, it is a toy cannon and it most likely was able to be fired. I have seen several over the years found and posted on several forums. What a great find, and no doubt it probably dates to the period of the artifacts you would be finding in that area.

If you look on e-bay you will see several being offered, that were dug. Here is a website saying a bit about the toy cannons. http://www.cannon-mania.com/history.htm

Again, great find.

Don

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe the General fielded a little person artillery unit. Small cannon w/ miniature caisson towed by Shetland ponies, perhaps?? ;)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toy firing cannon would be my guess but hey I know nada. Cool find really cool

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its probably the origin of the saying "is that a cannon in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread