My first Confed buttons

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
So after a couple years of walking and digging, I finally scored my first two Confederate buttons. Both within 20 minutes of each other. The first I thought it was another typical eagle cuff button. Didn't clean it in the field, just stuck it in my pocket and kept beeping. Then, in a bulldozed pile of dirt, I came across the Block "I". Rang out as a 55 on my T2, so I thought, surely another shotgun shell, right? Nope, a nice Block "I" with one problem... no back. But it's still a nice example.

Once at home I headed for the sink and running water. Cleaning the eagle cuff I saw a letter in that shield. Always a good thing. Not an "I", not an "R", not a "C", not a "D". This was definitely a "V". Not used to seeing that, I consulted my online sources and found it to be a unit formed prior to the war known as the Voltigeurs. More research led me to find that the Voltigeurs were disbanded before the war and Virginia militia units bought the "V" marked equipment. So now I have a fairly rare Confederate button. Shank good, three stars on the back and the front detail? Well, see for yourself.

Attachments

• 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 784
  • 100_0540b.jpg
    100_0540b.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 745
Upvote 0

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice you dont see many Eagle V's anymore the old timers back in the 70's did a good job on them. Great Finds

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweeeeeet! Hit it again and again and again.....!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"V" = Victory
"I" = Incredible
;D
Excellent recoveries!
Congrats,
MM

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRILLIANT find, Karl! Best I've seen all year!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery. I trust what Harry Ridgeways says :thumbsup:
Nice hunt and thanks for sharing !
HH
TnMtns

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Out of curiousity, more than anything else, how would you go about proving that this button was used by Virginia troops in the Civil War? Like so many records of the Civil War period, the "proof" is lost in time. That said, after researching 10-15 mentions of these buttons and buckles on various dealer websites and consulting with historians knowledgable on the subject, what they all agree upon is proof enough for me.

Personally, I think we've all heard enough from the handful of hardheads out there who would argue that the sky isn't blue. It's blue enough for me.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtDigler said:
Out of curiousity, more than anything else, how would you go about proving that this button was used by Virginia troops in the Civil War? Like so many records of the Civil War period, the "proof" is lost in time. That said, after researching 10-15 mentions of these buttons and buckles on various dealer websites and consulting with historians knowledgable on the subject, what they all agree upon is proof enough for me.

Personally, I think we've all heard enough from the handful of hardheads out there who would argue that the sky isn't blue. It's blue enough for me.

I dont know how one would get hard proof?I guess that lyes with who ever you are trying to convince?I ask you, what regiment was the button made for?When?Isnt it to a dealers benefit financially to list it as a Confederate button,especially when it cant really be disproved?Anybody could have worn that button.Regardless it it is a great find and as said one of my top to do's.I hope you arent classifiing me as,"one of the Hardheads",I merely stated the history of the button,and asked you a question,after you answered,I left it alone!Sorry,wont happen again!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
By those standards how can any button be called a Confederate button? What's to say a Yankee soldier didn't wear a Confederate button because he lost his button? Who's to say that an "NC" buckle wasn't intended for a Non-Comissioned Officer? Let's call it a reasonable conjecture. I simply made the find and posted what I found out about it. I'll leave the proving to the experts and be happy with what I've found. I don't care if the "V" stands for Vultures. It's still a rare button and therefore has value to me.

That said, I have only one question... what color IS the sky? ;)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you took offence to a question,just for the record you may get questions when posting....just a warning :thumbsup:So,another question....so when you find a button from a known War of 1812 Regiment,in a "Civil War Camp",who's side are you gonna say it was from??Maybe Lee's Grandaddy,that he passed down to Lee himself
Its your button you can call it anything you want,Peace out

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking button. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions