My first Confed buttons

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
So after a couple years of walking and digging, I finally scored my first two Confederate buttons. Both within 20 minutes of each other. The first I thought it was another typical eagle cuff button. Didn't clean it in the field, just stuck it in my pocket and kept beeping. Then, in a bulldozed pile of dirt, I came across the Block "I". Rang out as a 55 on my T2, so I thought, surely another shotgun shell, right? Nope, a nice Block "I" with one problem... no back. But it's still a nice example.

Once at home I headed for the sink and running water. Cleaning the eagle cuff I saw a letter in that shield. Always a good thing. Not an "I", not an "R", not a "C", not a "D". This was definitely a "V". Not used to seeing that, I consulted my online sources and found it to be a unit formed prior to the war known as the Voltigeurs. More research led me to find that the Voltigeurs were disbanded before the war and Virginia militia units bought the "V" marked equipment. So now I have a fairly rare Confederate button. Shank good, three stars on the back and the front detail? Well, see for yourself.

Attachments

• 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 784
  • 100_0540b.jpg
    100_0540b.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 745
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler