My First Four Hours EVER with the MD

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
My First Four Hours 'EVER' with the MD

My wife bought me a detector for a christmas gift (BH Discovery 2200), and I patiently waited for the snow to go, and the ground to thaw.. That would be this morning... But, I needed a digger of some sort, so I took a short trip to the hardware store, and bought what looked like a decent jobby.. Stainless steel, good rubber handle, made in China.. (It's ok, it came with full 'Engrish' intructions) Brought it home, and figured I better give it a try first.. Took it out in the yard, and dug a few plugs.. If, as the instructions said, I "will enjoy results which are of the very finest" I better make a few changes to this thing.. It was serrated on the tip, and that worked well, so i took it to the grinder and ran serration's all the way up both sides, and sharpened the tip to cut through the flat matted grass a bit better.. Took it back out side, and cut a few more plugs.. Looookin goood...
I packed up all the stuff, and headed for the park about 10:30 am.. I dug everything that beeped, and some of the things I learned in my first 4 hours 'ever' of hunting were:
* Coins that show up on the digital depth indicator as being at 4 inches, can be found in the first inch of sod..
* This thing will detect a gum wrapper at 6 inches, as IRON
* Disc. Out IRON
* Target gives multiple depths, and tones.. (DON'T BOTHER)
* Beer bottle caps far outnumber pull tabs! (is this a Canadian thing?)
* My knees hurt
* My legs hurt
* Boy I'm out of shape..
* I HAD FUN!!!!
Here is what I found, This first picture is the Junque, the second is $0.55 in coin, both U.S. and Canadian, the small ring leaning on the fake hotwheels car (made in China) is a Irish Cladaugh (sp?) ring and is shown bigger in the last picture.. Its not silver, beeps as 'iron' tin? but it was not corroded, so could not have been in the ground long.. this last one is my modified 'digger'
But I have learned what to listen for, and what to ignore (almost)..
The next time out, I'm going to hit the part of this park that used to be a camp ground for 75 years..
They kicked all the campers, trailers, and tents out in 1972..

Attachments

• Junque.jpg
    Junque.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 558
  • Find2.jpg
    Find2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 557
  • Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Digger.jpg
    Digger.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
F

Floater

Re: My First Four Hours 'EVER' with the MD

well gunfarce that is a great day and especially for the first time out. I like the mods to the digger too. That Bh is a great machine but I wouldnt be to quick to ignore any signals just yet. My machine works with tones only , no meter or visual of anykind. I dig everything unless it is iron cancelled out or a not so repeatable tone. other than that if I get a hit it's getting dug up. Gold is illusive and you will not find it if you dont dig it all. I dont know anyone on the boards that would tell you any different. The learning curve is high around here and your machine will take a lot to get to know. JMTC and congatulations again.HH

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's a great first day. The ground just thawed in Canada? You make me feel bad about all the complaining I was doing about the snow in PA.

I think that persistence is the key. I didn't realize how much work MDing would be but I am reaping some rewards.

I dig your digger. :D

Haupin

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice collection of bottle caps, and coins!

Cool car and ring too!

Con-grats,

Lonewolfe

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State

I would say you did pretty good for your first time out. You got that neat looking ring, some coinage and lots of knowledge and ya had fun. What more can you ask for :D

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms

Gunfarce if you are cold , sore and miserable ,try my duck hunting trick. ? ?note in left pocket. ? note in right pocket . ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? when it gets tough, pull note out of left pocket and read . ? ?you are having fun !!! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? when it gets where you are cold wet and miserable, pull right note and read, ? you are not cold !!!!! ? ? ? ? Oh well ,sometimes it works . ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?;D ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?;D ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ;D ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's

with all them beer tops i think i must of been there! ;D great job gettin out and decent finds to boot!!

peace,bigrig

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Looking Ring,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Awsome Cap Collection.

? ? ?Cars are always Cool to find also.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Congrats on your First Day.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? J? E? F? F

D

Darod

Great job for your first time out!

Don't worry, the soreness will go away after you start going out regularly.

You mentioned that 4" targets on the ID are actually only an 1" or so down. Keep in mind that the depth readout on your machine is an exact distance from the coil to the target. So, if your swinging/hovering your coil at about 1-2" above the grass with the grass being 1-2" long,.....well, that puts the coin about 4" or so from the coil ;) I think you get my meaning.

Great work on your first outing! Most people have to wait weeks or months for their first ring! You got one on your first trip out the door! NO BAD! ;) :)

Rod

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Excellent ring! BTW, are you sure you weren't detecting outside the House of Beer?HAHA Quite an assortment. HH

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003

I have noticed that most of the time you can subtract 2-3" from the depth reading of detectors. I believe this is beacause you can't really ever swing right against the ground, so there is always at least an inch between the coil and the ground...and detecting thru air is harder than detecting thru soil, so it fools detectors into thinking items are deeper than they really are. Just my observations....I could be wrong...

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

WTG gunFarce...are you just now getting good weather? Or thawing ground? ...florida does sound nice...

OP
OP
GunFarce

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

Hi Folks.. Thanks for all the encouragement.. The day after, my legs were so sore. I was walking around like a 90 years old, out of shape, man.. ha.. If anyone thinks that this hobby is not exercise, boy have they got a surprise coming!! This old fart has been spending most of his working days for the last bunch of years, fattening his ass behind a computer screen..Well, not true..really, I have a skinny ass, and a fatter belly..ha..
Yup, the ground has just thawed out to the point where you can dig, providing it's in the sun.. I did notice, that the shady areas were thawed out to about 1 inch, then you hit a frozen area of about 1/2", then it was easy digging.. Thanks for the tip that the detector depth 'includes' the air space.. I was keeping it as close to the ground as I could, there is no high grass here yet, and most of it is like a thick, tough, matte over the ground until the sun kicks in another growing cycle.. sharpening the end of the digger, and serating the side sure helped to get it through the grass matte, and into the soil, then using it like a knife, the curve of the shovel, and the serrations, made it cut a 4-5" plug in a natural circle.. does anyone else normally dig a lot of beer caps? Or 'is' this a Canadian thing.. There certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of them no matter where I go..

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Beer caps...I do. I went to a public beach-fresh water-in southern Indiana last fall and found 43 beer caps- 2 clad quarters 1 dime some pennies and a new hot wheel car...lots of beer caps.

Dave

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana

Beer caps in central Indiana as well. Showing up as strong nickles or gold. Very cool digger. I need to modify mine.

joey

Mar 27, 2005
boston, ga
Detector(s) used
discovery 1100

cool finds ill bet that digger cuts roots like a knife! wtg!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread