My first Gold Coin With My Explorer SE ($2.50)

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Hi All, my wife and I went to a small town just north of Las Vegas on Sunday to do some detecting with my Explorer SE and ended up doing really good.

I found:
4 Indian head pennies
1 seated dime
1 Mercury dime
3 Barber dimes
37 Wheaties
1 Buffalo Nickel
1 Liberty V-Nickel
3 old Canadian coins (2 were silver)
1- 18K heavy mens ring with a diamond
2 Silver Rings

and finally a 1911 $2.50 Indian Gold Piece!!!
It was under a large tree root and was a pain digging it out. I just about gave up on it but I had a feeling it was something good the way it was reading on my Explorer.
The sad part about it is that I scratched the face up pretty good. I always take my time digging my targets but I was in the 110 degree heat / sun and it was, like I said, a big pain to digging under the root.
I also found $9.62 in clad.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 250front.jpg
    250front.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 250back.jpg
    250back.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,353
  • foundsilver7-1-07.jpg
    foundsilver7-1-07.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • indians7-1-07.jpg
    indians7-1-07.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,318
  • wheats7-1-07.jpg
    wheats7-1-07.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,336
  • ringsfound7-1-07.jpg
    ringsfound7-1-07.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,343
Upvote 0

ashmatk

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2006
Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Hello Abe, I live in Vegas and have tried a few spots but never had that kind of luck. I have a few other promising locations I'd like to try near to town. If you'd care to pair up for an outing, i'd really like to go hunting with you. It's always more fun to have someone to hunt with - particularly someone who knows what they're doing. If you're interested, please let me know. Its about time to dust off the CZ-5. I sent you a private message, but I'm not sure it was delivered - as I'm new to the forum thing. Thanks for any reply and congrats on your great finds!

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantasic find !! I'll take a gold coin any condition, anyday !! Of course I'm still looking for my first one !! ;D

steelheadfever

Jun 15, 2005
Caldwell,Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/Minelab XT-70/Whites Beach Hunter ID
I feel sorry that you scratched your first gold coin. I'll bet you are more careful in the future. We all have scratched a coin or two, but we try to learn from those experiences and try not to do it again. Maybe a coin dealer can remove some of the scratches. HH Dennis in Idaho

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Abe said:
halfdime said:
That's an incredible day! Too bad about the gold piece; will you go back to that site?

I'm getting a Disc replaced in my back next month, so I will go back later this year hopefully. Thanks, Abe

Dang, what a haul...Finding a gold coin has always been at the top of my list. Sorry to hear about your surgery. I had 3 vertebrae fused in my neck in 96. It will take some agonizing therapy but you will do just fine. I wish you the best!

DANGLANGLEY

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
AS A MEMBER, LET ME SAY WELCOME TO THE GOLD COIN CLUB! FINDING THAT COIN IS A DAY YOU'LL NEVER FORGET! I FOUND MINE (1825 GEORGE IV GOLD SOVEREIGN) ON MARCH 23, 2006. CONGRATS!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o WoW!! :o ABE!!!!

What a hunt! Dang, those are some awesome finds!!!!

Many Congrats!!!! Nana :)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Couldent let this post pass with out adding my congratulations,Since I hunt my SE with the crosshairs and dont know much about the num. Was it a high tone or a low tone?? (never found a gold anything)

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Thanks again for all the positive comments.
It was hard to get over scratching this coin. I didn't think I did all the scratching myself. Maybe another MD guy came across it but gave up early on it because of how hard it was to dig out around the root. I've come across a few holes that were previously dug from a fellow MDer and ended up finding the coin or object that they were trying to locate.
Just a thought....
Thanks again, happy hunting, Abe

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, sorry bout the indian

HH