My First Older Coin Pocket Spill And I Liked It!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a new site today ... a rural lot that used to have an early 1900s house on it. My hunting buddy (L J) and I got there a little late but managed to cover about 1/2 of the yard. It was a great day for me ... I had several firsts. My first older coin pocket spill: 6 wheats (194?, 1944, 1951, 1951, 1953, 19??) and 3 nickles (1940, 1941, 1942 War) all in the same hole. The 1942 war nickle was a first find also. Thirdly, I found my first Standing Liberty Quarter (unfortunately it had been hit by a mower blade and was in terrible condition with no readable date). I also dug a 1947 nickle, 1941 Mercury dime, a couple of clad dimes, and one memorial cent. L J found a clad dime, 2 memorial cents, and a beautiful token that was about the size of a 1/2 dollar and had Heads I win and tails you lose on it. We will be hitting this place again soon!

Attachments

• oldpocketspill.jpg
    oldpocketspill.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 841
  • Mar21silver1.jpg
    Mar21silver1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 850
  • Mar21silver2.jpg
    Mar21silver2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 845
  • Mar2107.jpg
    Mar2107.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 0
Sweet finds! To bad about that standing liberty, I'd rather find it than not find it though!

That is one GREAT day of MDing!! WTG on the finds!!HH

The SLQ is a real crime...I've seen some gouged coins that people damaged while digging, but this one takes the cake! Might want to try digging with a little less enthusasim! :) Kidding...but as worn as the eagle looks, it's not likely this coin had a date before it was dropped, date first thing to go on these coins.

awesome finds !!!!! way to go !!!!

to bad about that quarter, it really took a hit !

WTG again!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

The nickle is real BEAUTY! The SLQ looks like it was dug with a frag grenade.
Sorry I HAD TO SAY IT MAN! :P
Looks like a truly awesome day of digs.

Best o' luck next time out

~Nash~

Congrats on that first and that silver and wheats! 8)

Great hunt!

Nana

very cool finds! too bad about that SLQ but i would take it anyway! thats one of the coins on my list of ones to find still!

Nashoba said:
The nickle is real BEAUTY! The SLQ looks like it was dug with a frag grenade.
Sorry I HAD TO SAY IT MAN! :P
Looks like a truly awesome day of digs.

Best o' luck next time out

~Nash~
I agree that the nickle is a beaut. I could tell that it was nice when it came out of the ground looking like any other silver coin. I first cleaned it with soap & water but it was still stained so I gave it a light rub with wet baking soda and it looks like new.

That is one heck of a nice war nickel and one heck of an "un"nice Stander. I look at all the cull Standers I've found with respect now, Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back