My Heart Goes Out To Harrisburg, IL

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many people in this town have been good to me and my detecting hobby. The historic little town(the last man publicly hanged in Illinois, Charlie Birger, ran his gang out of this town) got clobbered by a F4 tornado today. 6 dead and over 100 injured. I am on a first name basis with many of them and it really hurts to see so many of them suffering. More than a few of my best detecting spots won't be detectable for a long time but that matters little when such a tragedy as this has happened.

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
its always hard to see what some people have to go thru all we can do is hope and pray they get all the help they need in times like this dennis

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Maybe we could start, hold or have a little charity event for our fellow flatlanders? Need to check with mods if that would be okie dokie but if you guys could come up with ideas for a raffle, group paid hunt. Whatever we could do with prizes from us and $ being sent to the local needs orgs there we could engender goodwill and do a good deed. Ideas?

I got more than few shiny things laying around gathering dust that might go to help. Anybody else?

M

MR Senior L4S

Lowbatts said:
Maybe we could start, hold or have a little charity event for our fellow flatlanders? Need to check with mods if that would be okie dokie but if you guys could come up with ideas for a raffle, group paid hunt. Whatever we could do with prizes from us and $ being sent to the local needs orgs there we could engender goodwill and do a good deed. Ideas?

I got more than few shiny things laying around gathering dust that might go to help. Anybody else?
////////////////////////// Im in ,----- my english is to bad to be leader there --------- Open for action

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Soupie said:
http://www.sicf.org/harrisburg-disaster-relief

The above link is a local group....they are handing out supplies to families there...

That's a start Scott, would be a good thing to do, gotta see if the hearts are as big as the finds around here first. I remember when I was 7 and the tornado took the house down around us and taking most of what we had off into the sky. I was hoping we could do something around here and have one of you more local folks forward goods and/or represent us.

I'm with you, Mr. Senior, my english is almost as good as my foul and both are better than my organizational skills that fall in between lacking and non-existant. But I know you got the heart!

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if we have a fundraiser I can try to arrange for the beer and a place to host a party in chicago.

OP
OP
L

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are awesome. A great bunch of people to take this up. I am obviously the local guy so I will be glad to help. I will defer, however, if some of the posters here from the Southern Illinois Metal Detecting Association would rather take the lead.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
limegoldconvertible68 said:
You guys are awesome. A great bunch of people to take this up. I am obviously the local guy so I will be glad to help. I will defer, however, if some of the posters here from the Southern Illinois Metal Detecting Association would rather take the lead.

If you have a formal club down that way that would actually step in and lead the effort I'm sure more than a few of us locals up here would be happy to throw in and see if we could make a positive difference.

M

MR Senior L4S

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 369

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Wow! I was hoping some of the folks around here might ante a few piles of old beaten silver for the scrapper and maybe a few gold rings, forwarded to someone local who could expedite the exchange and create a great story with a few pics of a small pile of oldies for charity. But it seems there is just too little in it for the group at large so yeah, it's hat's off to the individual effort again.

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hello Everyone. I'm the president of the Southern Illinois Metal Detecting Association. I can't speak for the entire club, but I have thought that we should try to do something for Harrisburg and Creal Springs. I just found out about this thread late last night. If someone has a good idea, or maybe we could try to plan a large local hunt and charge any detectorists in the area(including club members)and donate 100% of the proceeds to Harrisburg. In the In the meantime, I'll look into who we could give the money to that would use it for The Harrisburg/Creal Springs area relief effort. I can contact the other officers of the club and try to get something going. Please PM me and I'll make a few preliminary calls to some of our club members.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I don't get on the forum anymore, but Tim sent this link to me and I checked it out. I've often wondered what we'd do if we were hit with a big one here and lost everything. I just can't imagine what that would feel like. Times are tough here, but looking around I realize how lucky I am to have the things that I do. I hope the people in Harrisburg and in other areas of the midwest that were slammed with these storms know how much others feel for their plight and that they don't give up hope.

Thanks for the link, Tim & Scott. It gave a good way of helping A big thank you to Mr. Senior :icon_king: for setting a great example, and for everyone else who gives here or elsewhere! :thumbsup:
Neil & Kris

Harrisburg.jpg

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hello, Our Club Meeting is tonight. We are going to either donate to the relief fund, or we are going to have a fundraiser of some type. I may be the president of our club, but I am only one vote, I can't do anything without the club's approval. I can't take funds from the club, or speak for the entire club without things going to a vote. I texted all our members right after posting here Saturday night, and the consensus was to wait for the meeting tonight. I'll post the results of our meeting tonight and let everyone know what The Southern Illinois Metal Detecting Association is planning on doing for Harrisburg. They are going to need help for a very long time to get life back to normal, All of our club members are within a 30 mile Radius of Harrisburg. Some of our Members, and some of our former members have already been there volunteering and donating money. We've all done something on a personal level for the relief effort, But like I said, I can't do anything on an official level until tonight.

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
UPDATE: I have exciting news for Everyone! First off, Our club voted unanimously to donate $100.00 to the Harrisburg,IL. Relief fund. Secondly, all of our members are going to donate all "clad" coins dug to the Harrisburg Relief Fund Starting today and ending on April 12th(our next regular Meeting) I think everyone will be shocked to see how many modern coins a group of skilled detectorists can find in one month! I'm excited!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions