VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made a couple of 4 hour solo hunts to a Confederate camp last Wednesday and Saturday plus a 1.5 hour hunt with Tenn. Josh in a different CSA Cavalry camp today. Dman had therapy this morning and felt he should rest his leg for a hunt later this week.
The first pic is of my Wednesday hunt. Of particular interest is the brass teardrop relic second from the left in the 2nd row of bullets. I had seen those but couldn't recall what they were used on. Veteran hunter and our friend John Freeman from Oklahoma had dug a couple and told us it was from a brass throat from a Sabre Bayonet scabbard as shown in a pic located by Modern Miner. The iron piece in the bottom center is a barrel band from a pistol or small caliber rifle. The iron relic on the bottom right is the end of a scissor or shear handle. Dman dug the other handle end last spring at that same CS camp.
The third pic is of my hunt last Saturday morning. I dug the “L” shaped gun tool which was my first Colt Revolver combination gun tool. The .577 cal. Enfield bullet has a "57" base mark as do most of the Enfields in that camp. The little brass buckle is very lightweight and I have dug them before in CS sites. Crouch’s book lists them as CS issue spur buckles but they were little more than wire and I don’t see how they could ever stand up to much field use. Anyone else found these in CW sites?
I had some farm business near where Tenn. Josh lives and we decided to hit a CSA spot that has been very good to the Tennessee Trio over the past few years even though we have just about cleaned it out. My few finds are shown in the 4th pic including a .54 cal. Burnside Carbine bullet with the dished base if you haven't seen one. Tenn. Josh dug a .54 cal. rifle ball and a .36 cal. pistol ball. Not much but we really didn't expect much today. HH, Quindy.
My CW Relics to date for 2012=40

Attachments

• CS Camp 1-18-2012.jpg
    CS Camp 1-18-2012.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 966
  • Sabre Bayonet and Scabbard.jpg
    Sabre Bayonet and Scabbard.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 966
  • CS Camp 1-21-12.jpg
    CS Camp 1-21-12.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 963
  • Col. Allison\'s CSA Camp 1-23-12.jpg
    Col. Allison\'s CSA Camp 1-23-12.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 982
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nana40 said:
I've got that book on my Valentine's list Quindy. ;D No telling what all we've tossed that we shouldn't have. Thanks for posting all the CW stuff so that we can learn what not to throw out! :o :icon_thumright:

Nana :hello:
Maybe Charlie will come through with the reference book Nana. When you get it, look through it over and over. Unfortubately, you may see a few items that you trashed. HH, Q.
Hutch911 said:
Great finds as always!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck in VA this weekend Hutch and thanks, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread