VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made a couple of 4 hour solo hunts to a Confederate camp last Wednesday and Saturday plus a 1.5 hour hunt with Tenn. Josh in a different CSA Cavalry camp today. Dman had therapy this morning and felt he should rest his leg for a hunt later this week.
The first pic is of my Wednesday hunt. Of particular interest is the brass teardrop relic second from the left in the 2nd row of bullets. I had seen those but couldn't recall what they were used on. Veteran hunter and our friend John Freeman from Oklahoma had dug a couple and told us it was from a brass throat from a Sabre Bayonet scabbard as shown in a pic located by Modern Miner. The iron piece in the bottom center is a barrel band from a pistol or small caliber rifle. The iron relic on the bottom right is the end of a scissor or shear handle. Dman dug the other handle end last spring at that same CS camp.
The third pic is of my hunt last Saturday morning. I dug the “L” shaped gun tool which was my first Colt Revolver combination gun tool. The .577 cal. Enfield bullet has a "57" base mark as do most of the Enfields in that camp. The little brass buckle is very lightweight and I have dug them before in CS sites. Crouch’s book lists them as CS issue spur buckles but they were little more than wire and I don’t see how they could ever stand up to much field use. Anyone else found these in CW sites?
I had some farm business near where Tenn. Josh lives and we decided to hit a CSA spot that has been very good to the Tennessee Trio over the past few years even though we have just about cleaned it out. My few finds are shown in the 4th pic including a .54 cal. Burnside Carbine bullet with the dished base if you haven't seen one. Tenn. Josh dug a .54 cal. rifle ball and a .36 cal. pistol ball. Not much but we really didn't expect much today. HH, Quindy.
My CW Relics to date for 2012=40

Attachments

• CS Camp 1-18-2012.jpg
    CS Camp 1-18-2012.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 965
  • Sabre Bayonet and Scabbard.jpg
    Sabre Bayonet and Scabbard.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 965
  • CS Camp 1-21-12.jpg
    CS Camp 1-21-12.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 962
  • Col. Allison\'s CSA Camp 1-23-12.jpg
    Col. Allison\'s CSA Camp 1-23-12.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 981
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Quindy!!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Looks like you are still doing pretty good. I like the gun tool as they are getting hard to come by these days. Nice saves and for those that don't know, these relics are coming out of places that have really been hit hard. Quindy hunts with patience and can still find stuff by being very deligent and knowing his machine. He should have started back in the early 70's. He would have a museum by now!!!!!!!! Tennessee digger

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Q. Congrats on the gun tool and .57 base Enfield. :thumbsup:
"My CW Relics to date for 2012=40"
You have about 39 more CW relics than me this year. :BangHead: I think my well has gone dry so I'll be heading to Tenn soon to hang out with the Tenn Trio. :laughing9:

Way to go guys. :hello2:
-Dug-

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
tennessee digger said:
Looks like you are still doing pretty good. I like the gun tool as they are getting hard to come by these days. Nice saves and for those that don't know, these relics are coming out of places that have really been hit hard. Quindy hunts with patience and can still find stuff by being very deligent and knowing his machine. He should have started back in the early 70's. He would have a museum by now!!!!!!!! Tennessee digger
I think Quindy belongs in a museum. If he had started hunting when he was a kid he could have asked Gen. Lee for his autograph. LOL

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was hunting civil war relics some one would have to tell me what I found. Congrats on your neat finds.

Burdie

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
tennessee digger said:
I think Quindy belongs in a museum. If he had started hunting when he was a kid he could have asked Gen. Lee for his autograph. LOL

LOL, thats funny DMAN. Quindy is a dedicated hunter who is very persistent.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger said:
Very cool Quindy!!
Thanks Cody. I thought about you and Creskol (Rob) when I dug that one. I had to go to Crouch's book to see which one it was. HH, Q.
tennessee digger said:
Thanks Donnie but it's that F75 and LUCK. That gun tool was on my wish list. HH, Quindy.
Wldbil said:
Congrats on some nice CW saves... :icon_thumright:
Thanks Bill. CS camps are fun even if there are not many relics left to find. Thanks for looking.
ModernMiner said:
Well done Q. Congrats on the gun tool and .57 base Enfield. :thumbsup:
"My CW Relics to date for 2012=40"
You have about 39 more CW relics than me this year. :BangHead: I think my well has gone dry so I'll be heading to Tenn soon to hang out with the Tenn Trio. :laughing9:

Way to go guys. :hello2:
-Dug-
It's always darker just before the dawn MM. Every time you whine about not finding anything good, you go out a dig a Banner relic like that Indian Wars U.S. Belt Buckle-LOL. HH, Q.
Dman said:
tennessee digger said:
First of all, I would have FOUGHT for Gen. Lee if i had been there. Second , if I was there in 1861 you would have been there in 1864-LOL. Don't get hurt before our next hunt, Q.
Burdie said:
If I was hunting civil war relics some one would have to tell me what I found. Congrats on your neat finds.

Burdie
I can't tell you how many relics that I have almost tossed Burdie. The KY button currently being restored that I dug on 12-23 looked just like a crimped bottle cap as Dman saw. The fact that it read "34" on the display instead of the normal "68-72" on the F75 caused me to take a second look. I strongly recommend that anyone hunting CW relics should purchase both Crouch's and Charlie Harris books. Dman almost tossed a clipped corner pre CW shoulder belt plate a few years ago. HH, Q.
RTDE3 said:
More relics for your collection. Good job by John & You IDing those items!
Funny, I found a scissor handle like yourd 2 weeks ago!
I was told they were used to cut soldier's hair along with many other uses Rob. HH Bud, Quindy.
Old Stonewall said:
Nice saves!
Thanks Richard. I'm expecting to see some Shennandoah Valley Relics from you soon. Thanks again for the package you sent me. I will cherish the contents forever. HH, Q.
Steve in PA said:
Dman said:
tennessee digger said:

LOL, thats funny DMAN. Quindy is a dedicated hunter who is very persistent.
Thanks Steve. The moderate weather this Jan. beats the heck out of all the snow in Tennessee last year. This has allowed us to get out more. Remember these 2 facts: You can't find CW relics laying on the couch and Dman is only 3 years younger than me-LOL. HH Bud, quindy.

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
nice finds Quindy.glad you got to hunt some.will be looking forward to your post again.hope all three get to hunt.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet stuff and I actually DO have one of those small little buckles. I found it fairly recently and had no idea what it went to. I'll have to look at my displays again to remember where I found it. But if it is indeed CS, that's awesome.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Q ! General Lee's autograph , :D ya don't get to see a sabre bayonet throat and the Colt revolver tool to often :thumbsup: hope your closing in on that CSA plate :icon_scratch: must be a tougher find than I thought 8) dawg

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go T-Trio! Now remember, when you dig up that CSA buckle, let me know, and I'll send my snail mail address, so you can return it to me. I'm sure my g-granddaddy would appreciate it. :laughing7: Breezie

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice tool Find!
Congrats on the scabbard ring ID,
I got something I gotta pull out and check :icon_scratch:
HH to Ya :thumbsup:

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recoveries. I found a gun tool also last thursday at the old Yankee camp. It was heavily encrusted and I could have easily discarded it thinking it was junk. Cleaned it up and what do you know?

Attachments

• IMAG0849.jpg
    IMAG0849.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 521
  • IMAG0852.jpg
    IMAG0852.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 601
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MKnTenn said:
Nice finds, those gun tools are hard to find around here. HH
That they are MK. I have found only 5 or 6. HH, Quindy.
rebelrouser said:
nice finds Quindy.glad you got to hunt some.will be looking forward to your post again.hope all three get to hunt.
Thanks Don. As you know, this has been a whole lot better weather to hunt than we had last January. HH, Quindy.
bearbqd said:
Sweet stuff and I actually DO have one of those small little buckles. I found it fairly recently and had no idea what it went to. I'll have to look at my displays again to remember where I found it. But if it is indeed CS, that's awesome.
Thanks B and they are on page 125 in Cruoch's book but they just look too light for spur use. They are VERY brittle and break easily. HH, Quindy.
CMDiamonddawg said:
Nice digs Q ! General Lee's autograph , :D ya don't get to see a sabre bayonet throat and the Colt revolver tool to often :thumbsup: hope your closing in on that CSA plate :icon_scratch: must be a tougher find than I thought 8) dawg
Plates are long gone in these hammered camps Dawg!! Still looking though my friend, Quindy.
Breezie said:
Way to go T-Trio! Now remember, when you dig up that CSA buckle, let me know, and I'll send my snail mail address, so you can return it to me. I'm sure my g-granddaddy would appreciate it. :laughing7: Breezie
I will Breezie but MM's NC tongue buckle is probably what your G, Granddaddy wore in the war. Dman has a fake one he can send you-LOL. Q.
steelheadwill said:
Nice tool Find!
Congrats on the scabbard ring ID,
I got something I gotta pull out and check :icon_scratch:
HH to Ya :thumbsup:
With the variety of relics you consistently dig up there Herbie, you likely have one in your many "junk" boxes. John Freeman made a good i.d. HH, Quindy.
Thunderchild said:
Very nice recoveries. I found a gun tool also last thursday at the old Yankee camp. It was heavily encrusted and I could have easily discarded it thinking it was junk. Cleaned it up and what do you know?
MM sent me a pic of that Springfield combination tool you dug Glenn. Great find. The first one I dug was a Springfield tool also. HH, Quindy.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got that book on my Valentine's list Quindy. ;D No telling what all we've tossed that we shouldn't have. Thanks for posting all the CW stuff so that we can learn what not to throw out! :o :icon_thumright:

Nana :hello:

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds as always!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread