My Memorial Day finds

vickilynn

May 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites prizm 950 V
Since I am still learning with my detector I just have not had much luck on the few places that I had tried. So I decided to take it to my old stand by spot( old dumpsite) to see if It would bring me any luck there. I found it hard to use as the place is very junky and I just dug it all! I figure Id bring it all home just to post now it that I found somewhere to share it as my family always just looks at me funny when I come home covered in dirt from head to toe and look at my treasures as if I am cookoo. I hope you don't mind all the pics. I really did not find much of value but I had lots of fun. I spilled my skin so soft in the bag so it all smells really good LOL.
I have not quite learned coin lingo but I will try
buncha wheaties
a buffalo
one cent with Indian on it
commerorative coin
religious medals
couple of tokens
sterling pencil
glass bracelet? just a guess
clay marble
medicine vile?
thimbles
glass tank usa
broken plane usa army (I thought these 2 were cool considering the day)
belt buckle (looks sterling)
& odds ends
Also found a large bone that according to the deer experts is not deer or moose ... hmmmmm
I thought about posting a pic in what is it any bone experts out there?

Attachments

• P5270632.JPG
    P5270632.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 861
  • P5270591.JPG
    P5270591.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 853
  • P5270594.JPG
    P5270594.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 853
  • P5270596.JPG
    P5270596.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 856
  • P5270598.JPG
    P5270598.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 850
  • P5270601.JPG
    P5270601.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 849
  • P5270603.JPG
    P5270603.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 850
  • P5270611.JPG
    P5270611.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 846
  • P5270620.JPG
    P5270620.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 844
  • P5270629.JPG
    P5270629.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 840
  • P5270630.JPG
    P5270630.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 828
Upvote 0

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw c'mon now you are a pro at this ! Awsome finds! Better than awsome, EXCELLENT! (wringing my hands as I say it). Monty

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Half Fast the screw top container is for holding wooden matches to keep them dry. I had a couple of these when I was a Boy Scout about 100 years ago. lol. Other finds are very neat. I would go back to that spot over and over as you learn your machine you will find even more good things.

HHHH

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Very cool finds ! And what's wrong with coming home covered in dirt ? ;D

I second the idea that the tube with the screw on cap is probably a waterproof match container

Keep it up !

Diggem'

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Half Fast said:
Fantastic hunt! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The metal tube with the screw top looks to me like a waterproof container for wooden matches. Way cool finds!

I think Half Fast hit the nail on the head for the ID of your metal tube/container.. it is indeed a match case. They were designed to carry matches and to keep them dry. They were not waterproof, er, rather "water tight" however, they could leak water if submerged for any length of time, but they were able to keep them from getting wet from say spills or rain or splashes. SOme were tighter than others of course. The side of the tube is "rough" at one end, this was for "striking" the match to light it. Some people went one step further of course, when they loaded wooden matches into these things, they would futher waterproof their firesticks by dipping them in melted candle wax to seal out any moisture.
I think you had some fantastic finds there m'lady! I don't know where you were/are hunting but you hit the jackpot! Cool Digs! and keep searching.

Happy Hunting !

Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
The little glass "vials" are actually called "ampules" before the advent and widespread use of plastics, it was the easiest and most reliable way of storing and shipping small quantities of injectible medicines. I don't know what might be in those ampules you found, but I seriously doubt they are still "viable" or of any use to anyone other than a collector or a museum. You might take one or two to your local sheriff's or police department for testing to see what's actually in them. They might be interested in looking for any more of them that might be still at the site where you found them. Keep them in some sort of sturdy container, wrap the ampules loosely in some gauze or cotton wadding then put them in an old candy or cookie tin.. and well out of reach of any small curious Georges (children). If you do get them tested, let us know what was in them. It's quite possible that they may very well be filled with something innocuous as, as River Rat mused, Hair treatment chemicals. <shrug> Great finds none the less.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
vickilynn said:
unfortunately the tank is glass painted green .... would rather have metal I don't dare clean it as prob all the paint will come off. And as far as the lil tuby thing it's pretty deteriated and wont open cheaper metal Im guessing.
THANKS for letting me share and your wonderful input!!!!
Vickilynn
The little tube thing is a match holder. Keep 'em dry and all that jazz. Dang you had one heck of a day I can say that much. Looks like WEEKS of digs to me.
Wonderful job!!!! I can't wait to see more.

~Nash~

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Very cool finds!! I found two vials like that a couple of weeks back on one of my bottle digs...mine were empty though...
HH
Baggins

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
That glass thingy is called an ampule if memory serves me correctly.
Ive snapped many of the necks off them and drew up cardiac drugs and morophine in the streets for the medics.
Looks like you had a great weekend hunting w/all your finds.
Congrats.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
That is a nice pile of stuff you dug up. Your Tnet family won't laugh at your finds...we think they are GREAT! :thumbsup:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Vicki, a great smorgasbord of finds! Love the thimbles, tank, airplane, bottles, old coins too. Looks like you have a great spot.

Maybe your bones are from a cow? We found a large jawbone in our dump and figure it's from a cow or horse.

Keep digging!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
What a sweet assortment of finds!

I'm very curious as to whether or not there is a pattern on that green shaker? Or any writing on the blue jar lid?

Both of those things could have some value that you might not have expected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread