My plugs fall apart, is it me or is this common?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I'd say Either Ground condition, or your digging too shallow of Plugs.

In all honesty, after over 40 years,
I still have those days.

Sometimes it's just the ground or grass
won't hold together no matter what you try.

Sometimes it's so dry it just crumbles

Last edited:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing you can try is to poor a little water on the spot you want to dig the plug. It might help hold it together. Yes it’s a lot more work and trouble, but it’s better then getting ran off the property.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to skim off the sod and lay it aside and then dig and place dirt on a towel, when done fill the hole and replace the sod and stomp it down. I usually cut the sod in a rectangle and fold it back.

No matter what you do sometimes the plug or sod will break up. Sometimes the grass has lots of surface roots and it's hard to cut and it breaks away from the soil

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of your skimming the sod it will die as the roots are not deep enough. But if your skimming the roots may grow and new grass come up. When you cut your plug cut it deeper than the object is unless it is deeper. If you need to go deeper hen remove more dirt and a towel will help for that in areas you need to be extra careful in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread