My second Indian, a Buffalo & and early wheat

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
My second Indian, a Buffalo & and early wheat

Hi everyone! Watercolor and I hit the woods again today - got to take advantage of our waning :( hunting season up in the Chicago area while we can.

The first coin I found was a 1911 Wheat, not in too bad shape. :) That would have made the hunt worthwhile. Then, we switched over to the general area where I had found the V-nickel on an earlier hunt, and hunted for quite a while before I got a deep but solid signal. At 7 1/2 inches, I pulled out a penny. I had found pennies that deep in this area and they were wheats. I field cleaned it to get the date, and to my delight, it was a 1907 Indian! ;D I had only found one before, and it was so rotten & corroded that the Indian was gone. This was a nice treat! ;D

Since we were in a trash-reduced area, I was investigating the nickel signals, especially the deep ones. About 20 feet away, I got a nickel signal, but it wasn't real deep. I've dug older pulltabs here at the depth this was indicating. At only two inches, out popped a 1916 S Buffalo nickel. That was a surprise! Other finds were part of an old knife, an old bottle stopper, a hardware ring, a clad quarter, and a cheap belt buckle. I also stumbled on a group of does. If you like deer, there's a pic in the "My Daily Snapshot" forum. Thanks for checking out my finds!
Neil

Attachments

• Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 422
  • heads small.jpg
    heads small.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 424
  • Tails Small.jpg
    Tails Small.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 424
  • Finds.jpg
    Finds.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: My second Indian, a Buffalo & and early wheat

congrats! sounds like a great time! i love finding those IH's, (then, the only old coins i've found with a detector are a 1903 IH and a1907 IH, eyeballed a buffalo). hunting in the soods is so fun (if you find something good)! best wishes for lots more in that spot and good weather to make it possible!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Re: My second Indian, a Buffalo & and early wheat

Way to go Neil!

Great hunt!

Love the Buff. Sweet condition.

HH
Mark