My Small Louisiana Collection

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend most of my time in the bottle and metal detector forums but i do come to this forum now and then to see all the terrific finds. I have not done any native american hunting in roughly 15 years. I have held on to my collection and it has endured moving 6 times and be handled by many people. I thought what the heck, i'll download some photos and share them with everyone else. All these were found in northeastern Louisiana by me. Nothing fantastic here to show but they were all found by me and i can't begin to tell you how many hours i spent putting this small collection together. Not shown is a 5 gallon bucket of pottery shards and 2 grinding stones that i somehow lost moving from place to place. The dime is for size comparison

image-215296809.jpg

image-2980291319.jpg

image-316883938.jpg

image-1795407196.jpg

image-2302061065.jpg

image-1929119304.jpg

image-2832343640.jpg

image-270450412.jpg

image-1666756378.jpg

My favorite, the Poverty Point piece

image-1199328741.jpg

image-845850191.jpg

image-3651990284.jpg

image-1412993892.jpg
Black Beauty

Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice honest collection.
Sometimes the sum is worth more than the parts.
That one is beautiful but sure looks out of place.
A thought just crossed my mind when looking at that tiny point....
"How small and thin was the shaft?"
"How short would it have had to have been in order not to whip around like willow a twig?"
"How small was the bow?"
.... Then I thought... I wonder if they used blow darts....Hmmmm.
...around here they used them as adornment.....I have some that will blow your mind....no way they used them for hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish like heck I could find the image an archeologist sent me of a dress with hundreds of them on it.....he showed me a frame of over 100 he found in a 5' square area and not one over an inch...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some real nice bird points and I really like that Poverty point one. Just for others info in Ms., La.,Tx., and any where along the coastal areas they also used scales from alligator gar fish for arrow points. They where very sharp and already made in the shape of a point.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Bass I like the poverty point material. That one looks perfect. I like the small ones. The hamilton points here used on bows are very tiny also. They are a prize to find in my opinion. They would zip right into an animal. Nice collection for sure. Hopefully they wont be moved for a while. I know I lost many in moves.
HH

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,that Povert piece is outstanding!!!!

I hope ya dont mind me interjecting a quip about "Bird Points",and I dont intend to step on any toes,as I know terminology is something collectors and especially archies cling tightly too......Bird points.....I am an avid archer and always have been,I have taken numerous species of bird from doves-turkeys,when taking birds one doesnt depend on blood letting like one would with larger game,but you depend on shock,a sharp object doesnt creat shock....a blunt object does(I have some blunts I will post when I get a chance)also I have read many accounts of the netting of waterfowl and Jack Rabbits(out here)In several cave excavations these nets have been found.When one calls a small pointed piece a Bird point,its an oxymoron,in my simple mind of physics and result.......several years ago I had an opportunity to take a rogue Bison Bull.....long story.....Now....I have taken Elk,sheep,bear Mt. lion,antelope,countless deer,and HUNDREDS of wild pig with a bow,so I would not take this bull with anything other than a bow.I have a close friend that has taken several Cape Buffalo with a bow as well as a Bison(that was smaller than the bull I was after)he conveyed to me that even him shooting 80 lbs(draw weight)a heavy grained arrow and a big 150 grain Zwickey Broad head he had obtained minimal penetration,which is not desirable for various reasons.I scoffed,at this advice because I had taken the majority of my big animals with 125 grain Zwickeys and Thunderheads(Brand names)well about that time I received a call from a broadhead company rep.that had heard about my future hunt and knew my "availability ",of wild hogs(which for those who dont know,hogs have a thick plate of grisle behind their shoulder that protects the vitals and will stop a magnum bullet.This rep asked me if He sent me a dozen of these new broadheads I would shoot a boar hog in the plate....I abruptly said,"NO!!!!",why would I wound a pig?Well they had done extensive field testing already including many of the toughest skinned animals in the world,he just wanted to prove it to me....I gave him the credit of the doubt and obliged.For time reasons I wont detail that hunt other than that the heads showed up...they were 100 grains and TINY,but were still over 3/4" wide,and the hog I shot was huge mature Boar with 2.5" of plate on bothe sides at 30 yards I blew completly through not only both plates but both shoulder blades(I still have one....gave the other to that company)So I was sold on these,and they are what I used on my Buffalo......my first and second shots blew completly through the bull(didnt hit bone or they would not have)After the bull was dead,we shot the 150 grain Zwickey's and several other big,long wide points into the bull as a test.....none of them got he same penetration even though they wer heavier which carries more kinetic energy......the small heads had less drag!Since then these smaller heads are all I use and the results are astounding....I strongly beleive the Indians figured this out as well and many of the "Bird Points",may very well have been for larger game......just my personal observation,and another observation I made in that whole ordeal,is that the Indians ran more Bison off cliffs then they shot with a bow and not many shot them with bows off a horse like we see in the movies!!!!They are one of the most unbeleibly tough,risiliant,FAST,and just flat awesome animals there is

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most agree "blunts" were hafted scrapers and the term is misleading.
Doesn't seem like they would fly true either.
Wouldn't a bare shaft with some sinew and pitch on the end work just as well for a bird?

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some real nice bird points and I really like that Poverty point one. Just for others info in Ms., La.,Tx., and any where along the coastal areas they also used scales from alligator gar fish for arrow points. They where very sharp and already made in the shape of a point.

They sure did.
Some of them where used as hafted blades also.
Look at the size of this one

ForumRunner_20130909_231514.png

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,that Povert piece is outstanding!!!!

I hope ya dont mind me interjecting a quip about "Bird Points",and I dont intend to step on any toes,as I know terminology is something collectors and especially archies cling tightly too......Bird points.....I am an avid archer and always have been,I have taken numerous species of bird from doves-turkeys,when taking birds one doesnt depend on blood letting like one would with larger game,but you depend on shock,a sharp object doesnt creat shock....a blunt object does(I have some blunts I will post when I get a chance)also I have read many accounts of the netting of waterfowl and Jack Rabbits(out here)In several cave excavations these nets have been found.When one calls a small pointed piece a Bird point,its an oxymoron,in my simple mind of physics and result.......several years ago I had an opportunity to take a rogue Bison Bull.....long story.....Now....I have taken Elk,sheep,bear Mt. lion,antelope,countless deer,and HUNDREDS of wild pig with a bow,so I would not take this bull with anything other than a bow.I have a close friend that has taken several Cape Buffalo with a bow as well as a Bison(that was smaller than the bull I was after)he conveyed to me that even him shooting 80 lbs(draw weight)a heavy grained arrow and a big 150 grain Zwickey Broad head he had obtained minimal penetration,which is not desirable for various reasons.I scoffed,at this advice because I had taken the majority of my big animals with 125 grain Zwickeys and Thunderheads(Brand names)well about that time I received a call from a broadhead company rep.that had heard about my future hunt and knew my "availability ",of wild hogs(which for those who dont know,hogs have a thick plate of grisle behind their shoulder that protects the vitals and will stop a magnum bullet.This rep asked me if He sent me a dozen of these new broadheads I would shoot a boar hog in the plate....I abruptly said,"NO!!!!",why would I wound a pig?Well they had done extensive field testing already including many of the toughest skinned animals in the world,he just wanted to prove it to me....I gave him the credit of the doubt and obliged.For time reasons I wont detail that hunt other than that the heads showed up...they were 100 grains and TINY,but were still over 3/4" wide,and the hog I shot was huge mature Boar with 2.5" of plate on bothe sides at 30 yards I blew completly through not only both plates but both shoulder blades(I still have one....gave the other to that company)So I was sold on these,and they are what I used on my Buffalo......my first and second shots blew completly through the bull(didnt hit bone or they would not have)After the bull was dead,we shot the 150 grain Zwickey's and several other big,long wide points into the bull as a test.....none of them got he same penetration even though they wer heavier which carries more kinetic energy......the small heads had less drag!Since then these smaller heads are all I use and the results are astounding....I strongly beleive the Indians figured this out as well and many of the "Bird Points",may very well have been for larger game......just my personal observation,and another observation I made in that whole ordeal,is that the Indians ran more Bison off cliffs then they shot with a bow and not many shot them with bows off a horse like we see in the movies!!!!They are one of the most unbeleibly tough,risiliant,FAST,and just flat awesome animals there is

I know what your saying as I've shoot a bow for most my life.But I gotta say when it would have came to big game hunting back then I think I would had felt like Clint Eastwood with a big boy on the end of a pole rather then a little old arrow with a birdie.You know go ahead punk make my day.:laughing7: Why dribble blood,when you could gush it.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one Timekiller.. but its archaic and the Atlatl was the means most often used for propulsion during that time and most pieces like that show use wear to support the belief that most were hafted blades.
Not spear points since they very rarely have any evidence of frontal impacts.

Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one Timekiller.. but its archaic and the Atlatl was the means most often used for propulsion during that time and most pieces like that show use wear to support the belief that most were hafted blades.
Not spear points since they very rarely have any evidence of frontal impacts.
I'd be more inclined to believe it was a knife myself.This was found in the middle of the Pamlico sound where now & days there is 20ft of water over top of this place.So it was most likely used for cutting up large sea mammals seal what have ya or even large fish.As seals still show up here in the sound every so often.That be my take on it myself.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most agree "blunts" were hafted scrapers and the term is misleading.
Doesn't seem like they would fly true either.
Wouldn't a bare shaft with some sinew and pitch on the end work just as well for a bird?

...when I get a chance I will post one in particular that is too small to be a scraper.As far as just a stick,it wouldnt have the needed weight to cause "Shock".Look at modern broadheads made for Turkeys......they are about shock.The blunts fly alot better than you would think.There is nothing more fun than to put rubber blunts on my arrows and shoot rabbits,birds and as kids we would practice sneaking on and shooting our cows with blunts.....they fly VERY well

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: good points of view....as said when I get the chance I will post a few I have that are serrated...why serrate a scraper...and they are small.The Indians where these came from ate a lot of large lizards so that may be a plausible function as well :dontknow:Thanks GB

The Stockton Curves as far as I know have never been truly proven as to their use either,although the vast majority have come from marshy or what was marshy lake/waterways,which would lead one to beleive they were maybe used as a "shocking",type piece?
channel_islands2.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread