Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look good and I think there was a similar one posted recently with similar strange Asian looking type markings. You should post the other side.

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
welcome!!!! i am sure someone will figure out what you have. GOOD LUCK!
and HH. JYD...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad got a match from a site:

'Spanish Cob for Tourists
A coin from the small collection of Connie
Date on coin: no date Mint mark: cannot find a mint mark Size: large
Description: a cross on one side with squiggley markings and Irregular markings; the other side designs and markings looking like waves in some areas and maybe one number looking like the number 8,(but my son says it looks more like part of a boat.) no other letters or number. It looks like the cob coin you have listed here, but mine is in better condition. It is the size of a silver dollar and just right at the same weight. I do not know if it is silver or gold. I do have 2 pictues of it on my computer if you want me to send it to you for viewing. I'm so glad I found your site today. very interesting. I do not know hardly much about coins, this one was my broters and I do not know how he aquired it. He passed Jan. 10 this year.
Composition: could be gold Wear: little or no wear Eye appeal: attractive
Damage: not specified Holder: no holder Toning: dark color but gold color showing well through
Numismatic type: maybe a cob coin Cleaning: not cleaned Errors: not specified
[coin 7055, Friday, 11-Mar-2011]
CoinQuest Response
Connie sent us these pictures of her mystery coin. It is a puzzle, because it has some features of old Spanish colonial coins, such as the Jerusalem cross and pillars, but the other squigglies and beads are foreign to genuine coins.

Fortunately for CoinQuest, there are real experts on such material, and the ones over at ForumAncientCoins.com shed light on Connie's puzzle. Rick2 at ForumAncients said

It's a copy (very badly made) of a Spanish piece of 8 reales struck in South America. It was probably struck for tourists. '

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 376
OP
OP
ksb1310

ksb1310

May 6, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Wow not only did you find the coin but it appears you found my coin..... thank you
CRUSADER said:

Description: a cross on one side with squiggley markings and Irregular markings; the other side designs and markings looking like waves in some areas and maybe one number looking like the number 8,(but my son says it looks more like part of a boat.) no other letters or number. It looks like the cob coin you have listed here, but mine is in better condition. It is the size of a silver dollar and just right at the same weight. I do not know if it is silver or gold. I do have 2 pictues of it on my computer if you want me to send it to you for viewing. I'm so glad I found your site today. very interesting. I do not know hardly much about coins, this one was my broters and I do not know how he aquired it. He passed Jan. 10 this year.
Damage: not specified Holder: no holder Toning: dark color but gold color showing well through
CoinQuest Response
Connie sent us these pictures of her mystery coin. It is a puzzle, because it has some features of old Spanish colonial coins, such as the Jerusalem cross and pillars, but the other squigglies and beads are foreign to genuine coins.

Fortunately for CoinQuest, there are real experts on such material, and the ones over at ForumAncientCoins.com shed light on Connie's puzzle. Rick2 at ForumAncients said

It's a copy (very badly made) of a Spanish piece of 8 reales struck in South America. It was probably struck for tourists. '

Attachments

• IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 338

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ksb1310 said:
Wow not only did you find the coin but it appears you found my coin..... thank you
CRUSADER said:

CoinQuest Response

Sadly, its the easiest way to tell it's a copy, as normally no two of these would be the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread