My thoughts- Maybe I am wrong...

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
The more I read posts about people being cut off at their dump bank the more I am worried that these people will end up getting others on this forum cut off too. I know there is overlap with other members and managers in regions do talk. So many people on here have a bit of arrogance in the idea(although it may be true) that its the 'tellers job to change the bag' its 'the banks job to exchange whatever money I bring in'.

There is always abuse to every policy! People on here that think they can dump large volume several days a week are looking to get bank employees pissed off! Get more dump banks. Dump less frequently. Put in the work and not just come into this hobby hot and heavy looking for a way to make some money. Dumping 12k across 3-4 branches is going to lead to upset employees! Soon we will all feel the wrath of these pissed off employees.

Do us all a favor, and learn to not abuse privileges.

You all can think I am a jerk, or I am wrong, but this is my opinion....
N8

Upvote 0

blink

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to be a correct jerk then an ignorant nice guy!

:icon_scratch:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8, I completely agree ! There seems to be an attitude around this forum , that the banks
are obliged to schleppe and step to our every whim - just because we open a free checking
account with them - Let's dial it down a bit folks - I'm pretty sure were in the sunset period
of the half dollar , If you're doing 25 or 50 boxes a week - you've got way too much time on
your hands - in my opinion . Argentium.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
And I am not even saying you can not do large volume. Everyone would encourage you to, to increase success. I do around 12-20 boxes a week, however, I also have over 10 dump banks with coin counters. I haven't even been to my 'best' dump bank in over 3 weeks. Give em a break people!

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
As you know, they had to count every coin that I took to my dump bank earlier this week. Well, I just spoke with "someone of power" about the issue. I mentioned that the other branches that I spoke to said that they do not have to count every coin. The counting takes place at the "distributor". Any overage/underage is credited or deducted from my account. Now this particular bank is one of the largest in the area. They have a separate cash cage and they ship coins out three times a week. I was assured by the branch manager that they could handle large quantities of deposit bags.

The problem that I've run into is most banks have limited space in the vault. We think of a giant walk in vault that can house a pickup-basketball game. Sadly, there are no such vaults in this area. Most are small cabinet-like vaults.

I think it comes down to the relationship that you have with your dump bank. Moreover, a dump bank that can accommodate several thousand worth of dump is one worth investing a relationship in.

Hopefully these nagging problems will resolve themselves and we can live happily ever after!

H$H!!
TGB

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
n8dagr8345 said:
The more I read posts about people being cut off at their dump bank the more I am worried that these people will end up getting others on this forum cut off too. I know there is overlap with other members and managers in regions do talk. So many people on here have a bit of arrogance in the idea(although it may be true) that its the 'tellers job to change the bag' its 'the banks job to exchange whatever money I bring in'.

There is always abuse to every policy! People on here that think they can dump large volume several days a week are looking to get bank employees pissed off! Get more dump banks. Dump less frequently. Put in the work and not just come into this hobby hot and heavy looking for a way to make some money. Dumping 12k across 3-4 branches is going to lead to upset employees! Soon we will all feel the wrath of these pissed off employees.

Do us all a favor, and learn to not abuse privileges.

You all can think I am a jerk, or I am wrong, but this is my opinion....
N8

I agree wholeheartedly. I always cringe when the machine seizes up and that chime comes on meaning a bag is full. I dump $500-$1000/branch/week max. I only go to $1000 if my first bag of $500 already forced a bag change. Generally I try to mix up my arrival days so I have different tellers, and I try to go two weeks between branch visits. Small talk with the tellers helps a ton. I've converted the two tellers that were most suspicious. One just wanted to talk, the other likes to collect old bills, and knows about silver but seems willing to share. So a well placed delivery of bagels and an old silver certificate helped grease the wheels at both branches. I'm always on the hunt for more dump banks to spread it out even further so as to not ruin a good thing. Dumping is the worst part of the hobby, and doing it wrong is the fastest way to ensure that you and others will have to take up something that costs money, like golf.

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N8, well said. Remember folks this is a hobby! Hobbies are things that we enjoy spending our free time and money on because they make us happy. People that abuse their banks policies in this way are nothing but greedy. The banks whose policies let us CRH for free are this way because they don't have over use of coin machines or massive dumps. By all means, search 50 boxes in a week if you have the time. Just take some time to roll some coins now and then folks, you already show us you have the time by going through your 50 boxes a week. It's not that hard and it helps out the branches. A lot of banks will give paper rolls for free. If they don't, they are real cheap to buy online. I bought 5000 paper rolls shipped for $26. That ends up costing $.52 to roll two boxes of halves. If your that set against rolling coins, spread out your dumps! My main pick-up bank has told me that they would give me coin rolls and let me use a table in the branch to go through my coins, to then re-deposit them. I still take them home and dump them elsewhere. First, my kids like to help me search. Second though I don't want to give any bank customers any ideas, but third and most important I don't want the tellers and manager to think I'm abusing or taking advantage of our good relationship. Greedy people are usually the reason good things end up being taken away!

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
I concur as well. I have 12 different dump banks (only one with a coin counter) and try not to stop at any of them more than once every other week.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
You are right, N8,

But I am pessimistic about how long we can maintain our CRH'ing in the face of GREED.
The price of silver is $34.00 today. When it reaches 50, the silver crazies will crowd this forum like $2.00 Gasoline.

Be prepared for less of less.

But keep on Rollin' !

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About this being a hobby, for me it is and it isn't. I am stashing all the silver I find to supplement retirement, and I suspect others do as well. If I did not find at least $40-$50 value in silver/week on average I would not do it. That said, I agree that we can not assume a branch can process any amount of coin. I always ask the LT or VT or manager how much I can bring in. One branch said 10 full bags is perfectly fine. Another branch of the same bank, the VT is an older heavy woman who has told me she does not like processing the bags of halves. I dont dump there.

Its all about communication. The bank employees are not ATM machines. Some common sense, apathy, and courtesy will go a long way in this venture.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I envy you folks with $500 half dollar bags. The only counter around me are the tiny $100 ones. I roll most and dump ~$50 mixed most of the time. :BangHead:

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no rules about how much to dump at one branch. Know your bank and what they are ok with. I do 2-3K per branch and they are fine with it. TD is over worked because they are the most flexible with hours. Do yourself a favor and find other banks then TD. I believe TD will get tired of all the Halves. They have already stoped ordering halves in some regions based on posts I have read.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started CRHing I used to reroll the rolls and put them in the coin lock bag. Shortly after a few dumps I was advised that they Do Not want the coins rolled because the processing center has to unroll them anyways and that it is much more efficient to just bag them loose.

Even though I do 40-50 boxes a week I am a small potatoe at my largest dump banks compared to the:
1. Apartment complexes laundry machines
2. vending machines
3. Newspaper man

Some of these guys bring in 18-20 bags 2x a week. The tellers love me because I pre-fill out all my coin lock bags, they all go on one ticket (apartment complexes have each bag on a separate ticket....imagine that) and I just ask for cash, in & out real quick.

Just gotta spread out your dumps and know what the bank can handle, like TGB said some banks have a very small safe, literally like a medium sized cabinet, whereas main branches in the LA area have giant walk in cages.

Above all that you have to be polite and do everything you can to make the process of dumping as easy for the merchant teller as you can.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:
When I first started CRHing I used to reroll the rolls and put them in the coin lock bag. Shortly after a few dumps I was advised that they Do Not want the coins rolled because the processing center has to unroll them anyways and that it is much more efficient to just bag them loose.

Even though I do 40-50 boxes a week I am a small potatoe at my largest dump banks compared to the:
1. Apartment complexes laundry machines
2. vending machines
3. Newspaper man

Some of these guys bring in 18-20 bags 2x a week. The tellers love me because I pre-fill out all my coin lock bags, they all go on one ticket (apartment complexes have each bag on a separate ticket....imagine that) and I just ask for cash, in & out real quick.

Just gotta spread out your dumps and know what the bank can handle, like TGB said some banks have a very small safe, literally like a medium sized cabinet, whereas main branches in the LA area have giant walk in cages.

Above all that you have to be polite and do everything you can to make the process of dumping as easy for the merchant teller as you can.

I know that they have to get the coins out of the rolls. But around here, I've had tellers say that the coins have to be rolled to be dumped. Loose ones, they can't give me the cash right away. I suppose it depends on what the branch is letting you get away with. The sorting facility probably prefers them out of the rolls.

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
I agree with this 100%. Small dumps spread out over many banks. I assume there are banks out there that can take a heavy load, but in most areas they are few and far between. There have been people on this board who "power dump" and complain when they get cut off. Like Big says good communication is the best bet. Talk to the tellers when it comes to dumping. A managers may say they can handle xxxx, but its the little old ladies that have to handle the load. Just be considerate!
I know someone in my area dumps up to 8k at one time. The tellers and manger are none to happy and about ready to cut him off.

F

Farchaus2k

GREED drives people to do things that hurt everyone in the long run. I never dump more than $1,200 at any location in one week. If I know I'm bringing in more than $900 I make sure to bring breakfast or lunch for the people working there.

Some may say "it's their job" to change the bags multiple times, but the courteous ones know it is just bad form and obscenely rude to make someone lift all that weight time after time after time after time.

In the end, you reap what you sow.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I seek out a dump bank, I first talk to Mr. Drysdale. After establishing a good relationship with the Bank Manager and having established expectations on both sides, I have the the Bank Manager introduce me to the Vault Manager. We then discuss my intentions and ask her limitations and flexiblity. I will not exceed her/his limits. I have very good relationships with close to 12 banks I can dump with.

If you can control your dumping you can win

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
47thelement said:
Whenever I seek out a dump bank, I first talk to Mr. Drysdale. After establishing a good relationship with the Bank Manager and having established expectations on both sides, I have the the Bank Manager introduce me to the Vault Manager. We then discuss my intentions and ask her limitations and flexiblity. I will not exceed her/his limits. I have very good relationships with close to 12 banks I can dump with.

If you can control your dumping you can win

+1 Dumping, is the key, not pickups.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunters dumping large volume of coin is nothing new. Four years ago I knew of competion at almost every bank in my area. So much so, that even then my boxes never gave up the silver. Still, I keep on keepin on.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it amusing that people bring up greed on a treasure hunting board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread