My thoughts- Maybe I am wrong...

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
The more I read posts about people being cut off at their dump bank the more I am worried that these people will end up getting others on this forum cut off too. I know there is overlap with other members and managers in regions do talk. So many people on here have a bit of arrogance in the idea(although it may be true) that its the 'tellers job to change the bag' its 'the banks job to exchange whatever money I bring in'.

There is always abuse to every policy! People on here that think they can dump large volume several days a week are looking to get bank employees pissed off! Get more dump banks. Dump less frequently. Put in the work and not just come into this hobby hot and heavy looking for a way to make some money. Dumping 12k across 3-4 branches is going to lead to upset employees! Soon we will all feel the wrath of these pissed off employees.

Do us all a favor, and learn to not abuse privileges.

You all can think I am a jerk, or I am wrong, but this is my opinion....
N8

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
I find it amusing that people bring up greed on a treasure hunting board.

Bravo... Bravo! Take all you can, leave none behind!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farchaus2k said:
GREED drives people to do things that hurt everyone in the long run. I never dump more than $1,200 at any location in one week. If I know I'm bringing in more than $900 I make sure to bring breakfast or lunch for the people working there.

Some may say "it's their job" to change the bags multiple times, but the courteous ones know it is just bad form and obscenely rude to make someone lift all that weight time after time after time after time.

In the end, you reap what you sow.
+1. Think about CDS and those sons of bitches!

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thank god! Somebody knows we are ruining our hobby with greed!!! Slow down! Do a few boxes a week and enjoy finding something instead of the skunk smell.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree witt you. I just order a max of two boxes per month and I still spread the dumps in about 3 banks.

DW

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
n8dagr8345 said:
The more I read posts about people being cut off at their dump bank the more I am worried that these people will end up getting others on this forum cut off too. I know there is overlap with other members and managers in regions do talk. So many people on here have a bit of arrogance in the idea(although it may be true) that its the 'tellers job to change the bag' its 'the banks job to exchange whatever money I bring in'.

There is always abuse to every policy! People on here that think they can dump large volume several days a week are looking to get bank employees pissed off! Get more dump banks. Dump less frequently. Put in the work and not just come into this hobby hot and heavy looking for a way to make some money. Dumping 12k across 3-4 branches is going to lead to upset employees! Soon we will all feel the wrath of these pissed off employees. I am new to this,but was rather shocked and dismayed when I read the other thread about dump banks. Thanks for the good words here. Some folks have lost the basic concept of respect. Thanks for putting this out there and also the good words of others in this thread that have made similar comments.

Do us all a favor, and learn to not abuse privileges.

You all can think I am a jerk, or I am wrong, but this is my opinion....
N8

F

Farchaus2k

It's just a matter of common courtesy. There's no reason to make waves with tellers and banks. Get in and get out. Add to your pile. Repeat.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
47thelement said:
Whenever I seek out a dump bank, I first talk to Mr. Drysdale. After establishing a good relationship with the Bank Manager and having established expectations on both sides, I have the the Bank Manager introduce me to the Vault Manager. We then discuss my intentions and ask her limitations and flexiblity. I will not exceed her/his limits. I have very good relationships with close to 12 banks I can dump with.

If you can control your dumping you can win

GREAT advice!

N8, Great post!

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8, like many others, I agree wholeheartedly. There are many posts from people who have just a had a rude experience at a bank (usually written while the anger is still hot, admittedly) and express some sentiment like, "I'm the customer, it's their job to do x" or "their customer service stinks", etc.

I've had a few rude encounters with bank employees in my life (mostly not when CRH) and could have written similar posts in the heat of anger.

Here's the thing, though.

We're not customers.

Or, at least many CRHers are not. Yes, you are customer if you are maintaining a relatively healthy balance ($10,000+) in accounts with the bank, or any amount above $500 that's growing rapidly because you're making more deposits than withdrawals, or you're paying significant fees for banking services ($50+ monthly), or you're paying interest on a sizable loan balance--or any combination of these.

Or you're engaging in any activity that actually puts money in the bank's pocket.

Banks are only businesses. Given this, many CRHers are not customers to them; they're patrons who happened to have opened a free or $5-a-month account that has never accumulated more than a few hundred dollars. They add no revenue to the business, and their actions offer no indication that they ever will. Yet they make much greater demands of the bank's staff, machinery, and vendor support than other customers who generate even piddling amounts profit, so they're costly patrons. A net loss all around.

In other business models, this CRHer is the person who buys a $6000 mink coat every week, after an hour of deliberation with the shop owner, and returns it every following week still wrapped in the gift box--only breaking the pattern about once a year to buy a $90 hat she'll keep. This CRHer is the person who sits on a stool at the bar for three hours every week, and asks for numerous glasses of water and pretzel bowls, but buys a beer exactly once a month.

After the pattern is established, these aren't customers. They're patrons who are causing the business to incur a growing loss every time they visit. Since a reasonable person would find no indication in their behavior that they'll eventually offer the business some return on the resources its expending to deal with them, the fuzzy good faith naturally wanes -- very slowly with individual people given doughnuts or kind small talk, but faster with institutions looking at operational practices and their cost vs. return.

Bottom line: If you had a brain and business to run, you'd soon want the CRHers in your world to stop darkening your door -- and your $9-an-hour employees (who may not care if your business loses more money every day, as long as their checks cash) would soon get the message you're transmitting (verbally or not): "These guys take a lot of our time and effort, and even though they might be swell dudes, they're not helping us keep the lights on. I probably won't mind too terribly if you regard them as a bother, and I even might start to swing by your area if I see you spending a lot of friendly time with them--especially when actual customers are waiting."

I try to remember these realities of human nature and dollars & cents when I'm at my dump banks, though it's hard.

I agree with the thought that banks may put a stop to obvious CRHing behavior if we get too flagrant with either ordering or dumping. They have many means to do so at their ready disposal (fees, account type requirements, balance requirements, requiring some indication of business need, etc. etc.) that wouldn't greatly affect the average banking customer. Nor anger the average person who thinks people who spend a lot of time going through massive amounts of bank change looking for something special aren't exactly a consumer group they need to link arms with.

As for me, I reroll my coins as I check them (like another poster, I also bought 1000 wrappers for halves for under $30) and try to keep my dumps to less than $400 per bank per week. I think that's too much for comfort, so I'm looking to reduce that. My volume is obviously a lot lower than many guys here -- about 5 boxes a week -- which I know makes my dumps far easier.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I can name 3 of these "jerks" right off the bat on this forum, and one is a new member. :-X

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the large amount some are running, you might as well get a brinks account.

I'm small-time enough that I deposit my unwrapped box of pennies at the credit union.

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Piledriver said:
You are right, N8,

But I am pessimistic about how long we can maintain our CRH'ing in the face of GREED.
The price of silver is $34.00 today. When it reaches 50, the silver crazies will crowd this forum like $2.00 Gasoline.

Be prepared for less of less.

But keep on Rollin' !

Agreed that higher prices do attract more interest. But even when silver was in the mid-$40's, I was still making decent finds.

HH,
cuttybce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread