My Two Cents Worth...A gorgeous 1865 Two Center!!!!!!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I spent 4 hours last night playing around with overlaying an 1871 map on to google earth and I'm finding that the number of 1800's homesites that are overgrown in the woods is just incredible.
I don't have my gps yet (ordering tomorrow) but tonight i went on an hour long recon mission to see if i could find a cellarhole that is on property i already have permission to detect on and is close to the road.
I studied the map pretty close and had a pretty good idea where it might be but I wasn't in the woods 5 minutes just a 100 yards from where i parked my truck and i found the cellarhole from my 1871 map!! whoo hooo!! :laughing7:
Next was the shocker.I cranked up my DFX,my heart still racing from finding the cellarhole and I hadn't swung for more than 10 feet when i got a strong signal. A steady repeatable 69 VDI ?? I'm thinking a wheatie and out of the hole comes a two cent piece,my first!. I cleaned it enough to see the "2" and waited til i got home to find a date.
It seems like every cellarhole I've detected this year I've come up with a harmonica reed base. No radio,no TV...just the sounds of the woods and the bluezy,haunting sound of a harmonica echoing through the woods..
This civil war era two center is in excellent shape.The cleaning process was gently rolling q-tips soaked in ammonia over the coin. It took some time and a pile of q-tips but was worth every minute of the researching and cleaning!!
Happy hunting,Jerry

Attachments

• 2 center overview.JPG
    2 center overview.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,519
  • 2 center obverse dirty.JPG
    2 center obverse dirty.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • 2 center reverse dirty.JPG
    2 center reverse dirty.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 2 center reverse 2cd clean.JPG
    2 center reverse 2cd clean.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,513
  • 2 center obverse 1st clean.JPG
    2 center obverse 1st clean.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,494
  • 2 center reverse clean.JPG
    2 center reverse clean.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 2 center obverse clean.JPG
    2 center obverse clean.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,476
Upvote 0

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
You should rename that post "2 cent strip tease". Nice find! I wish I had old stuff like that here in UT.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Holy crap! Can I start sending my coins to you for restoration? That is freaking awesome!!!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a beauty! That is one of the finer coins I have seen in quite a while. Way to do your research, it sure paid off and hopefully you will nail some more coin there as well!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say the way that coin looked and the way you restored it OMG..That is amazing. Tell me what do you do when you find a coin that is worth $18 to $475 dollars depending on what grade it is?????? I never thought you could get a coin to look so beautiful again. You did that with Q tips and Ammonia. When I find an old coin that is worthy of restoring I am gonna come and find you and get some pointers for sure. AWESOME job my friend. Outstanding! :thumbsup:

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I think the most impressive finds are those that result from creative research, as yours did.
That's a beautiful coin

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet looking two centerJerry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats on that great find. :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Jerry, that's gotta be the sweetest looking 2-Center I have ever seen. What a patina!! ::) :o
Great restoration on that coin!!! I give you an A++!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great going on the research too!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the great coin, fantastic job on the cleanup excellent WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Absolutely amazing how that coin cleaned up!
Thank you for sharing the step by step results also.
Great job on both research "and" recovery!

GRB

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That coin really cleaned up nice Jerry. That is an awesome specimen. I am slowly working on what you are doing with the map overlaying and the GPS. Happy hunting and hope the ticks don't eat you alive ;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I love that coin. I think I like the dark green patina better than the bronze color of a freshly minted copper coin.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That 2 cent looks lovely! Good shape I'd say. :wink:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry, that is the nicest 2-center I've seen!! The patina on that is incredible! I'm still looking for my first.

Take care,
watercolor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread