My Two Cents Worth...A gorgeous 1865 Two Center!!!!!!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I spent 4 hours last night playing around with overlaying an 1871 map on to google earth and I'm finding that the number of 1800's homesites that are overgrown in the woods is just incredible.
I don't have my gps yet (ordering tomorrow) but tonight i went on an hour long recon mission to see if i could find a cellarhole that is on property i already have permission to detect on and is close to the road.
I studied the map pretty close and had a pretty good idea where it might be but I wasn't in the woods 5 minutes just a 100 yards from where i parked my truck and i found the cellarhole from my 1871 map!! whoo hooo!! :laughing7:
Next was the shocker.I cranked up my DFX,my heart still racing from finding the cellarhole and I hadn't swung for more than 10 feet when i got a strong signal. A steady repeatable 69 VDI ?? I'm thinking a wheatie and out of the hole comes a two cent piece,my first!. I cleaned it enough to see the "2" and waited til i got home to find a date.
It seems like every cellarhole I've detected this year I've come up with a harmonica reed base. No radio,no TV...just the sounds of the woods and the bluezy,haunting sound of a harmonica echoing through the woods..
This civil war era two center is in excellent shape.The cleaning process was gently rolling q-tips soaked in ammonia over the coin. It took some time and a pile of q-tips but was worth every minute of the researching and cleaning!!
Happy hunting,Jerry

Attachments

• 2 center overview.JPG
    2 center overview.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 2 center obverse dirty.JPG
    2 center obverse dirty.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 2 center reverse dirty.JPG
    2 center reverse dirty.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 2 center reverse 2cd clean.JPG
    2 center reverse 2cd clean.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 2 center obverse 1st clean.JPG
    2 center obverse 1st clean.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 2 center reverse clean.JPG
    2 center reverse clean.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,498
  • 2 center obverse clean.JPG
    2 center obverse clean.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,477
Upvote 0

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Gorgeous is the only word to use for that coin. WTG I'm going to try ammonia on some of the indian heads I have. HH
JDD

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that coin needs to be slabbed! That is absolutely gorgeous!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I am so jealous of that coin!!!! I have NEVER found a coin in close to that good a condition and of course never one that cool!!!!

Way to go.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

This is ONLY the beginning, my friend! That map, some work, and some intuition will net you Many, Many more great finds this fall. Just wait till the GPS comes--you'll be cookin with Gas. :thumbsup:

That is one heck of a coin--as Plehbah said it is much better than silver. Tell me a little about the ammonia method. Did you come up with it yourself? Does it only work on coins that have a green patina, or has it worked on anything? I think a lot of what was on that coin in the first place was just dirt--but if any of it was stubborn "crust" then bravo to ya on the cleaning.

Congratulations!

-Buckles

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
There has got to be a coppa waiting for you at that site.

Over the past two years, my group has excavated 7 two-cent pieces at our Colonial sites.

Kyle

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks so much for all the kind words on my two center. :D
The ammonia cleaning method came from fellow t-net member Mirage and it works great on Indian Heads and large cents too but i must CAUTION everyone that if you get too aggressive with the q-tip it will take that nice green patina right off!!
I learned on some Indian heads that if you want to leave the patina you have to go gently with the q-tips,just rolling them over the surface til they're dirty then get a new one.
This two center's surface is so smooth and near flawless that the dirt encrusted on it came off relatively easy and may even have came clean with just plain water and q-tips.
Again,thanks for the awesome feedback!!!
Jerry

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks like it was dropped a couple days after it was minted! Awesome.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Sweet two center!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congratulations.

Steve

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be gold or really old but this is a BANNER find based just on condition. Get that sucker slabbed!

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Hmmm...my 1874 nickel looks like its in similar condition to your 2 center before cleaning...maybe I oughta give the amonia a try and see what happens.... did you use straight amonia, or diluted?

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
CowboyKolo said:
Hmmm...my 1874 nickel looks like its in similar condition to your 2 center before cleaning...maybe I oughta give the amonia a try and see what happens.... did you use straight amonia, or diluted?
I used straight ammonia,let me know how it turns out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread