My Two Cents Worth...A gorgeous 1865 Two Center!!!!!!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I spent 4 hours last night playing around with overlaying an 1871 map on to google earth and I'm finding that the number of 1800's homesites that are overgrown in the woods is just incredible.
I don't have my gps yet (ordering tomorrow) but tonight i went on an hour long recon mission to see if i could find a cellarhole that is on property i already have permission to detect on and is close to the road.
I studied the map pretty close and had a pretty good idea where it might be but I wasn't in the woods 5 minutes just a 100 yards from where i parked my truck and i found the cellarhole from my 1871 map!! whoo hooo!! :laughing7:
Next was the shocker.I cranked up my DFX,my heart still racing from finding the cellarhole and I hadn't swung for more than 10 feet when i got a strong signal. A steady repeatable 69 VDI ?? I'm thinking a wheatie and out of the hole comes a two cent piece,my first!. I cleaned it enough to see the "2" and waited til i got home to find a date.
It seems like every cellarhole I've detected this year I've come up with a harmonica reed base. No radio,no TV...just the sounds of the woods and the bluezy,haunting sound of a harmonica echoing through the woods..
This civil war era two center is in excellent shape.The cleaning process was gently rolling q-tips soaked in ammonia over the coin. It took some time and a pile of q-tips but was worth every minute of the researching and cleaning!!
Happy hunting,Jerry

Attachments

• 2 center overview.JPG
    2 center overview.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 2 center obverse dirty.JPG
    2 center obverse dirty.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 2 center reverse dirty.JPG
    2 center reverse dirty.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 2 center reverse 2cd clean.JPG
    2 center reverse 2cd clean.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 2 center obverse 1st clean.JPG
    2 center obverse 1st clean.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 2 center reverse clean.JPG
    2 center reverse clean.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,498
  • 2 center obverse clean.JPG
    2 center obverse clean.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,477
Upvote 0

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
awesome 2 cent coin! beautiful patina :thumbsup:

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
That 2 center is absolutely amazing. Great find!
Boy do I have a question for you Jerry.
I found an 1864 2 center last night.
I'm gonna post it now.
Congrats on the awesome finds!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome Coin Jerry and super post. :icon_sunny: It's so exciting when you start with the q-tips on a coin and then you start seeing the nice details of the coin. I like how you show the picture of the partially cleaned coin. Bet you will be hitting that place again! ;D

Bob

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Man o man AWESOME COIN ! ! ! I hope you find a whole bunch of different old coins at your incredible digging site Jerry!! I live in Ashland K.Y. how far away from the river are you? Or should I say what part of Ohio E>W>S>N ? Great spot and Good Luck on finding lots more!!! HH Tom

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
toolman61 said:
Man o man AWESOME COIN ! ! ! I hope you find a whole bunch of different old coins at your incredible digging site Jerry!! I live in Ashland K.Y. how far away from the river are you? Or should I say what part of Ohio E>W>S>N ? Great spot and Good Luck on finding lots more!!! HH Tom
Thanks Tom,I'm about 10 miles from the Ohio River on the eastern border

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread