My very first box of halves!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's never easy, easy. Just keep plugging away. My first box was a big bad skunk too. I got one w/88 silvers a couple months ago, though. It's still out there!!!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's never easy, easy. Just keep plugging away. My first box was a big bad skunk too. I got one w/88 silvers a couple months ago, though. It's still out there!!!

Thanks, hey I was wondering how does one know if they have a brinks box,Garda or some other supplier? Just curious as I have heard other members mentionit before.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Tough luck Easy but, easy CRH isn't, at least not until you just happen upon some easy pickings or a good box. The way that I look at it is that the boxes by all rights are not supposed to have any silver in them, it was all picked out long ago, so any time that you do find some is when you are lucky and the rest of the time is what you should normally find, nothing. Keep trying and it will find its way to you. I usually try to get a box of dimes and nickels when I get a box of halves so that I will at least find some silver but even that doesn't always work. Good luck next time.

By the boxes, Brinks are the two level square ones and Garda has the long flat yellow boxes.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is disappointing to get skunked but with the lows do come highs, keep your spirits up and go get the next one, my best skunk streak so far is 28 boxes in a row. That being said it might be that next bank that has been holding silver for you. Head up and HH

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pep talk everyone. I'm heading back out today! Probably just looking for a free coin machine though....with that box of halves I have about 1000 dollars in coins just laying around that I need to exchange. There will be NO more CRH until a dump bank is located. I'm a little fearful that I will not be able to locate one. I live Ina big metro area but I have never ever seena FREE coin machine. In fact the ONLY machine I have EVER seen in these parts is a stealstar(coins tar)machine. I'm gonna go look at a a few credit unions and see what they have. I know my wells Fargo said I can turn them in to be counted but they have to be sent out and you have to wait. 2 things I don't like. Waiting for my money and then be at the mercy of what ever count they come up with. Besides that I forgot to ask about fees cause I was a little nervous. I'm sure they have a charge for the service. I enjoy CRH but if I end up having to pay to exchange them that will kill the hobby for me. Any suggestions? I'm jonsing to get more boxs!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find another WF, ask to talk the the merchant teller. Tell him/her you want to exchange bagged coin for cash. Tell them the bag is referenced to your account number so if its off you will be credited/debited accordingly. If you have a business account at WF, dont bother. They WILL eventually charge fees. If its a private account you should have no problem.

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always re-roll them & get your $ right away until u find a better dumping system. You can buy paper rolls on eBay in bulk that aren't too expensive. The most important factor in your success in this hobby will be finding an efficient dumping strategy. Ordering is easy. Good luck !

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also find paper rolls at your local bank, for free. I pick up around 10 of each at each stop I make.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quite honestly, free is always a good thing, but if you're already getting coin from that specific bank, I wouldn't push it too far by trying to get coin rolls from them too.. of course I'm sure it's no problem, but it will get old after a while. I would personally rather spend $4.15 for 1,000 paper rolls, that's less then $0.21 per box to wrap... but then again, this is without the price of shipping included.
my 2 cents,
hh
buff
You can also find paper rolls at your local bank, for free. I pick up around 10 of each at each stop I make.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just don't think it's worth the hassle for less then $0.10 in wrappers.

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
^^No one else at the bank gets coin wraps.So about once a month my favorite teller gets me 1 box(500 wrappers) of cent,nickel,dime,and quarter.They are supposed to order 5 boxes of each a week but they have no problem ordering 6. ;)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice set-up, that changes everything for you! wow, 5 boxes of wrappers a week, what kind of volume goes through this branch??
^^No one else at the bank gets coin wraps.So about once a month my favorite teller gets me 1 box(500 wrappers) of cent,nickel,dime,and quarter.They are supposed to order 5 boxes of each a week but they have no problem ordering 6. ;)

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
Its the only Great Southern in Springfield,MO.I dont know why they need that much but what I do know is all the time I dump cwr of nickels and cents,and mark the wrapper with a sharpie dot.The next day,the coins are usually all distributed out.To leave me with a fresh batch.All the stores and restaraunts get their change from here.And deliver their change here.If I had the $ I could do probably 3-4,000 a week in cents and nickels before the bank got low on change.No one coin roll hunts in Springfield so before i started to slowly take all the halves(3-4,000 worth.)The tellers told me that the vault was full of cwr.So I am still working on getting em all.Because the bank doesnt give out cwr unless you ask for them.Sorry about the long explanation but thats the whole story.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, went to a few credit unions to see about free coin machines. That was a total bust. All of them wanted coins rolled with account numbers and a 5% fee. Feeling a bit panicked I went back to my bank and asked about fees. They said no fee you just have to wait 1-2 weeks because they will send it out. Ok, I guess that will have to do. I hate the thought of turning in 2k in coins and them telling me a week later that it's only 1500 or so............could this actually happen? Has it happened to anyone?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything could happen, but probably won't. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep looking for that free coin machine. jmo. HH

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
The machines they have make their living off of counting right, if they don't do a good job they put them out back next to the dumpster. I've never had a problem that I knew about when I sent stuff out but mostly I just roll them and bring them back to other banks. I also get boxes of wrappers from my best bank and handfuls from any bank I ask for them. They are always happy to give me wrappers when I dump or pickup. Try sending out half and dumping half rolled so you can still get another box. Try dumping 200-300 rolled at a couple of banks if they don't mind bring in more.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Our banks give us wrappers. Some order them for us specifically. We almost always re-roll our coins with maybe the exception of nickels, sometimes we dump those in free machine. Halves we can't dump in the machine bcuz the bag would have to be changed too often. But np bcuz we can do a box of halves re-rolling & all in about 30 minutes (I take longer than my husband so maybe 45 minutes for me)

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it would be easier to returning coins to have them pre rolled....i was wrong they just ripped them open and dumped them into the machine and the count was spot on too ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread