My very first box of halves!

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
They are too small!! & I don't have big hands but when I roll them out into one hand to rim search them my hand cramps up & then they're all falling out when I'm trying to put them back in a roll. I loathe them!!

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have absolutely NO desire to reroll. I get frustrated opening rolls. LOL. The thrill for me is in the search not mindlessly rolling coin. If your dealing with a small bankroll I could see it. But it would have to be pretty small.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mind at all...our bankroll is not huge at all but we do pretty well with what we've got. Like I said, re-rolling halves is super easy & once you get a system down that works for you it goes very quickly. It takes us a lot less time to re-roll the halves than it would to stand at a machine letting it count the halves & wait for a teller to change the bag multiple times just for us to dump one box since the bag only holds $100 in halves

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mind at all...our bankroll is not huge at all but we do pretty well with what we've got. Like I said, re-rolling halves is super easy & once you get a system down that works for you it goes very quickly. It takes us a lot less time to re-roll the halves than it would to stand at a machine letting it count the halves & wait for a teller to change the bag multiple times just for us to dump one box since the bag only holds $100 in halves

I reroll mine too, a box does go fast after you get the hang of it. I exchange for cash too, some banks are nice when I come in, some are just blank faced and I have 1 I've only dumped at twice in 2 months and the same guy each time at the counter, I walk in and he instantly gets mad that I'm bringing in my coins. I went in earlyer this week to dump for the second time and he saw me coming in the door and imediatly was tapping the lead teller on the arm and pointing at me in line and saying " Here's that guy again with the half dollars" I get to the counter and say " how are you today" he looks at me and says nothing back( First time he said nothing either) then proceeds to interagate me about why I have them and what I do with them. That is the dump bank I hate most. Maverick.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I love all the sweet people we meet when we dump *sarcasm* although I will say that as a woman I found it easier to dump LOL The other day everyone was so nice to me & running to open the doors & carry the boxes for me. Even the women tellers I encountered were super friendly

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey if you like rolling coins more power to ya, but if you read my whole thread youd woulda seen that I've been told that even with rolled coin I would be charged a fee at the credit unions. Now that I know my major bank will due it free of charges( I just have to wait) its all good. If some teller consistently gave me crap even after being really nice to him I would tell him to his face the only reason I dump here is because of his attitude.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey if you like rolling coins more power to ya, but if you read my whole thread youd woulda seen that I've been told that even with rolled coin I would be charged a fee at the credit unions. Now that I know my major bank will due it free of charges( I just have to wait) its all good. If some teller consistently gave me crap even after being really nice to him I would tell him to his face the only reason I dump here is because of his attitude.

No, you shouldn't have to wait. Did you try explaining to them as I wrote, have you tried other branches? You should be able to exchange bags for cash on the spot.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you shouldn't have to wait. Did you try explaining to them as I wrote, have you tried other branches? You should be able to exchange bags for cash on the spot.

Oh, I misunderstood. So you can get cash on the spot huh? I'll have to ask when i go in. I think having to wait in exchange for no fees is pretty fair though. I don't wanna push my luck.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I misunderstood. So you can get cash on the spot huh? I'll have to ask when i go in. I think having to wait in exchange for no fees is pretty fair though. I don't wanna push my luck.

Try this. Go in with $500 bagged halves with your name and account number written on the bag. Go to the merchant window. Tell them you want to exchange the bag for cash, tell them your name and account number are on the bag so if its off they credit/debit accordingly. No need to wait for a count. The merchant teller should know the drill.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this. Go in with $500 bagged halves with your name and account number written on the bag. Go to the merchant window. Tell them you want to exchange the bag for cash, tell them your name and account number are on the bag so if its off they credit/debit accordingly. No need to wait for a count. The merchant teller should know the drill.

Merchant teller/window is clearly marked? Can't say I have ever noticed this before.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

No need to be snippy, I did read your entire thread, I was comenting on Mrs.CRHer's post ( repley with quote), and I'm still able to dump on that bank with out any problem yet. I will tell you this, if you think you can walk in to a bank and speak to some there like that ( "I would tell him to his face the only reason I dump here is because of his attitude") your CWHing hobby will end real fast. Allways be polite no matter the situation, I'm sure others here will agree with me. Good luck and HH, Maverick.

talon146

Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started CRH the other day. I took 750$ loose dimes and quarters after searching through them into my local bank and noticed the 3% surcharge for whomever uses the coin counter. I asked the teller if she knew of any local banks that did not have a fee to use the counter and she pointed me next door to the TD bank. I went over and noticed they had a 6% fee unless you have an account. Seeing as I would be using this coin counter frequently, I opened a no minimum savings account to dump money in for my son. They had no problems with me dumping that much change into the machine and it didn't cost me a dime. Then I went back to the first bank and got 2 500$ boxes of halves and found 6 40% coins. Not too shabby.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to be snippy, I did read your entire thread, I was comenting on Mrs.CRHer's post ( repley with quote), and I'm still able to dump on that bank with out any problem yet. I will tell you this, if you think you can walk in to a bank and speak to some there like that ( "I would tell him to his face the only reason I dump here is because of his attitude") your CWHing hobby will end real fast. Allways be polite no matter the situation, I'm sure others here will agree with me. Good luck and HH, Maverick.
Sorry you took it that way, I wasn't being "snippy". Just pointing out that you didn't read the whole thread. I agree it is waaaaay better to be super nice in the bank, it will get you what you want more than having an attitude I get it. What I was trying to say is, if a teller CONSISTANTLY gave me crap I would tell them off. I live in a metro area. I do not need anyone one particular branch. There must be 500 in a 20 mile radius. Hobby or no hobby if someone thinks there gonna give me a hard time when I not hurting anybody just harmlessly exchanging coin they are sadly mistaken i aint the one....The reason some of those tellers have that attitude is because they are PATHETICALLY lazy. You can just tell the only reason they don't want to deal with the coin is because it weighs more than paper. I could bring in 1000 dollars in $1 bills and exchange them for $5's to the same teller and they wouldn't even blink. I know the coins are heavy but GIVE ME A BREAK....they ain't THAT heavy and it is NOTHING compared to the physical activity I do 60 hrs a week so I'm not about to shed any tears over some bank teller that works in an air conditioned building wearing a suit and basically never breaks a sweat all day. I work under houses for a living so........cry me a river....

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree...kill them with kindness! Some of my best professional relationships have started out with me absolutely hating the client/customer I was dealing with but when I started being super nice to them I developed great relationships where in they knew they could always count that I would have their best interest at heart & take good care of them. But I also agree that the tellers that are refusing coin or coming up with all sorts of "charges" that their "regional bosses" are "forcing" them to charge their customers is probably a lie 99.9% of the time. They are lazy & do not want to do their job. They are a bank & therefore should accept & exchange any legal tender, ESPECIALLY if you actually have an acct with them. Honestly, if someone gives you a hard time & you feel you are correct & within reason of what you are asking the bank to do & they are refusing or giving you a hard time or attitude I would take it to corporate level. One thing I've learned working for a big corporation is that the corporate office will do almost anything to ensure their customer is happy (even if they are wrong but sitll within reason). But ALWAYS behave professionally & again, kill them all with kindness. It is really difficult for them to continue being mean to someone who is being so nice to them, unless they are heartless LOL Sorry for being so long winded....I'm done now :P

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you took it that way, I wasn't being "snippy". Just pointing out that you didn't read the whole thread. I agree it is waaaaay better to be super nice in the bank, it will get you what you want more than having an attitude I get it. What I was trying to say is, if a teller CONSISTANTLY gave me crap I would tell them off. I live in a metro area. I do not need anyone one particular branch. There must be 500 in a 20 mile radius. Hobby or no hobby if someone thinks there gonna give me a hard time when I not hurting anybody just harmlessly exchanging coin they are sadly mistaken i aint the one....The reason some of those tellers have that attitude is because they are PATHETICALLY lazy. You can just tell the only reason they don't want to deal with the coin is because it weighs more than paper. I could bring in 1000 dollars in $1 bills and exchange them for $5's to the same teller and they wouldn't even blink. I know the coins are heavy but GIVE ME A BREAK....they ain't THAT heavy and it is NOTHING compared to the physical activity I do 60 hrs a week so I'm not about to shed any tears over some bank teller that works in an air conditioned building wearing a suit and basically never breaks a sweat all day. I work under houses for a living so........cry me a river....

No harm, no foul, I was simply conversing with Mrs.CRH, the coment was intended for her quote, and telling her one of my encounters. We're cool. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread