Mystery in the Sand??

chicepo

Jun 5, 2008
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cold to go out this morning so I waited until it warmed up to 34 degrees this afternoon. The beach was empty
and kids had not come in yet for spring break. As I detected in the dry sand near a sand dune I spotted the tip
of a small sandwich bag sticking out of the sand. I swept over it and got a good signal so I picked it up. Now it gets good!!
It was one bag inside of another. The outter bag had the number 5 in a circle and a note inside the inner bag.
Along with the note was a 10$ bill and a quarter.
The note said "Please call if found" and there was a phone number. The date on the note was 8/10/08 so it had been
in the sand or ocean for some time. I'm not sure if it is part of a game or just lost. I will call the number and let you know.

Attachments

• Mystery 001.jpg
    Mystery 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Mystery 002.jpg
    Mystery 002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,514
  • Mystery 003.jpg
    Mystery 003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,508
Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT, is kinda wierd! but interesting! If I were you I would call that number! Maybe its some rich tycoons way of seeing your honest and rewarding you further for your honesty!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey, you never know? Keep us posted on that!

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Hopefully that person remembers they put the bag there in the first place. :tard:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Saw this on an episode of the Twilight Zone, try calling back in two years. The wormhole has not reopended.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad the number was disconnected. Was hoping something good came out of it for you...Matt

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Call the phone company that would/might be in that area code and they may help you. Or get ahold of the local police and they can do a search for you on that number. Believe me, if it were something that "needed" to be found, they would find out who the number once belonged to. Just a thought. Goodluck......jgas

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Fiddle around with the last two digits. If it ends in say, 11, call 12, 13,14 etc. and ask what street they are on if you get an answer.It will narrow the location of the now disconnected number to within a few streets of where it used to be.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I was hoping for a more dramatic ending to this fascinating story. You tried!

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I'm like the other guy...i think someone just planted (or even threw into the ocean) several bags with cash and a quarter for the phone call just to see where they ended up or how long it takes for every baggie to "check in".....my guess is they just wanted to know where it was found and how you happened to find it..... kinda like the helium balloons with address or phone number on a note tied to it...release several and see if anyone calls back with a location where it was found

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just call for goodness sakes.! Don't keep us hanging!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
You might go to the newspaper in Atlanta and have them put an article with your find in it. I would think they have at least a buck left to buy a paper. Since when do payphones charge a quarter to make a call, minimum 50 cents here, and heaven forbid you have to use a long distance calling card. That will cost ya 1.85 just to connect! Maybe the $10.00 was for the call. ;D. I think it was some schools class project. Or it could have been someone's last bit of money (knowing something financially was going to happen to them in the near future) and was expecting a treasure hunter to find the bag, and return it to them in the near future ???. Is it possible that, that bag could have come from one of the beach shoot-outs that happen in Fla. and the last Nor'easter moved it up the coast? :P. I have been known to take a 35mm plastic film canister, and put several wheats in it and bury it in the parks I hunt. I put just the date reburied in it on a piece of paper. Just my way of thanking the treasure gods. ;D. I bury them where I KNOW for a fact, that it does not flood..........NGE (T)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
allen said:
sounds like someone is seeing if there
are any honest people in that part
of your area...

Seems like an awfully expensive honesty test. Quite frankly, this is much ado about nothing, The phone number was disconnected. You tried. Go buy yourself an Extra Value Meal at Mcdonad's

END OF THREAD

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
claire said:
Just call for goodness sakes.! Don't keep us hanging!

You need to read all the posts in a thread before responding...he did call...number was disconnected.

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
If its a cell phone they might have forgotten to pay the bill and been disconnected. Never know.. Just call back in a couple days.

LT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread