Mystery Mauling.....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,

Sorry I haven't chimed in before now! If you need help with the problem, you know I am willing to help and all you have to do is ask. My situation is a little iffy right now due to Christmas coming up and my oldest daughter and my 5 grandkids moving in with me and my middle daughter. So, as you probably know, my' funds are a little low. Hopefully after the 1st of the year, I will be a little better off financially and can make the trip if you need help! I have a fairly sized arsenal of weapons/hunting rifles that will lay waste to any Feral dog, Coyote or even Fox that ventures into the crosshairs of one of the rifle's scopes. In fact, if shot with some of my' rifles, recovery of the remains of any of the above, would have to be done with a Wet/Dry Vacuum! LOL!!

I am not sure that is legal to do so anymore but back in the old days, my dad used to take care of the Fox problems we had by staking out a Pullet in the woods, then hiding in a small blind erected with limbs and branches and waiting for a Fox to come in. Pullets make a God awful squawk when tied by one leg to a stake and they can probably be heard by Fox, Coyotes and Feral Dogs up to a half mile or more away. I would recommend getting and using a ladder stand and put camoflauge material around the sitting platform, stake out a Pullet, then get in the stand and wait. If this doesn't work after 3 times, then it is time to try another plan. I also believe that if you had a live trap made of wire similar to but larger than what I use to catch pesky Racoons and O'Possums (see pic below), enclose the back end from the main trap, have a door on that end to place a Pullet inside, set the trap door and pour chicken blood and maybe some entrails inside the main trap and outside of the trap door a few feet, you might just be able to trap a Feral Dog or Coyote. The problem would be if the Pullet does not squawk right away from being caged up. However, you could tie one of it's legs to the wire of the trap and this should cause it to stress out. In any case, the Pullet would definitely become stressed if a Feral dog, Coyote or Fox approaches the trap.

Take care my friend and good luck!

Frank

Not one this small
RacoonLiveTrap.jpg

One like this or bigger
CoyoteTrap.jpg

Like this
CoyoteTrap2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it is Dogs? We have killed um several dogs already this year. I did not want to say anything 8 pages ago…….

Yea... I believe so. After I returned from MI. and heard about the other killings feral dogs is the best explanation. Coyotes just don't mass kill and then leave. I'm sure there are others also which I haven't heard about. As Kuger and Rev have stated feral dogs are difficult to trap, hunt, call unlike coyotes. I got some ideas.... just going to take some patience and getting smarter than the dogs.. (for me that may be difficult).

FYI... I came to the conclusion 8 pages ago that some dogs have gone down or would. It's just not something we set out to do or advertise. And rightfully so.... But I totally understand why this has to happen. I wish you lived next door.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been following the thread and you seem to have a huge problem, there has been some good suggestions, I was wondering if a in season female dog would tempt these feral dogs in :dontknow:

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same bait as in largest pictured trap caught me ,twice.(ouch.)

I would say you have to be stupid.... BUT I did same thing... except I married the 2nd ex again which makes you smarter than me and would make me MORE stupid than you.... looks like the feral dogs are "safe" from me!!!!!!

Releventchair FYI... Wanna find out who your best friend is????? Put your favorite dog and your wife into your car trunk. Say.... you come back in 5-8 hrs. Open truck and see who's GLAD to see you. I rest my case or you've never owned a dog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been following the thread and you seem to have a huge problem, there has been some good suggestions, I was wondering if a in season female dog would tempt these feral dogs in :dontknow:

SS

Well now I have MANY huge problems.... good idea maybe but my 4 female dogs are fixed. And before you ask... yes my wife is fixed also!!!!!! And if she wasn't AND I got her into the cage I could never let her out... she'd be worse than any pack of feral dogs... trust me. Let's move on... quickly!!!!!!..... Brad

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just warn the neighbors that all loose dogs will be disposed of. Many years ago a kid ran out of gas on his dirt bike and pushed it home across a field. The dogs packed up and killed him in the field. They tore ever shred of clothing off. Neighbors were warned and every dog seen was put down.The law and wild life officials were involved. Some were just good ole porch dogs but when they pack up different animal. I lease over 4000 acres and many neighbors loose their dogs that run wild on it. We warn them but they think their dogs have the right to run loose in the mountains. I never blame the dog I blame the owners and the people that take them to the country and let them go. Best thing to keep a dog safe is a orange collar or a tracking device. They get a pass. I had a pit bull and a little terrier running deer yesterday. I pray to not see them again.
This is a sad subject. Like I said I blame the owners not the animal. Good luck I think you know the answer to your problems.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just warn the neighbors that all loose dogs will be disposed of. Many years ago a kid ran out of gas on his dirt bike and pushed it home across a field. The dogs packed up and killed him in the field. They tore ever shred of clothing off. Neighbors were warned and every dog seen was put down.The law and wild life officials were involved. Some were just good ole porch dogs but when they pack up different animal. I lease over 4000 acres and many neighbors loose their dogs that run wild on it. We warn them but they think their dogs have the right to run loose in the mountains. I never blame the dog I blame the owners and the people that take them to the country and let them go. Best thing to keep a dog safe is a orange collar or a tracking device. They get a pass. I had a pit bull and a little terrier running deer yesterday. I pray to not see them again.
This is a sad subject. Like I said I blame the owners not the animal. Good luck I think you know the answer to your problems.

Yes sir...

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew feral dog packs were tough, but they are even tougher than I imagined. Mike is one lucky dog. You certainly have your hands full with this problem.

So any current pics of Mike and his buddy Ike?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew feral dog packs were tough, but they are even tougher than I imagined. Mike is one lucky dog. You certainly have your hands full with this problem.

So any current pics of Mike and his buddy Ike?

Mr. Mzjavert.... Here's some of Ol' Mike and his bro Ike. They wouldn't hold still together (Ike). He's leery of everything... even a camera, but not Mike. Mike is the darker colored one and Ike the lighter one. When Mike was attacked it was Ike who ran down the deck past the slider door and into the woods 1st and then the others. And yes I do really have a problem with this pack of feral dogs running wild around here. And since Mr. Releventchair above didn't marry his 2nd ex again (as I did) and is smarter than me.... maybe he can help me with this wild pack..... Hello... hello... Releventchair are you there?

It's hard to believe that these 2 were running wild for months before calming down.

Attachments

• S6300129.JPG
    S6300129.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 89
  • S6300130.JPG
    S6300130.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 96
  • S6300132.JPG
    S6300132.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 78
  • S6300133.JPG
    S6300133.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello.
Ain,t that Ms. Mz. Javert? To sweet for a male.
Anyway, Kuger our go to on canines gone feral.
I would stick with trying to catch them in a routine, while also keeping a lure out there in a geographic/passing through area( hit it,sniff and pee) site with a trail camera on it in an effort to figure timing of visits and frequency in your area. Size of pack and individuals would be a bonus.
Are they returning to any kill sites or kills, though I doubt kills are being left by landowners or dogs are returning to them.
Wonder what appeal was at your place? Food/dogpoop, canine scent accumulation piled up creating a long range lure?
Or live stock with scent or sound,or just topography funneling wandering pack along a game or human trail.
A map with kills and sightings and other folks input combined with yours should have a territory established.
If trapping allowed in area a brief consultation with a or multiple trappers might shed some lite on pack and location too.
Or did you mean by help, leave this below zero wind chill to "chill" on your porch with a rifle?
L.O.L. the pack problem would probably be better company after a while!Your dogs would have fun though.
If your out with even one of yours ,keep an eye on their nervous areas and see if you can if its been hit by the ferals scent marking. They should mark where your dogs do too if claiming spot.
My dogs do it constantly with each others marked spots .If pack is just passing through they,ll check a pee post if convenient to route,get it happening regular and its a trap site for other canines,maybe for them too.Lure,bait,traps. An obvious trap to toy with or ignore, with proper sets guarding it.
Sitting on(near) a kill at night if they are returning to kills,assuming their nocturnal.
While mapping, a major vantage point or two could be noted for trying predator calling,away from sites you are trying to draw them to or monitor, and on or near edge of suspected territory borders but a way to do something while other plans brew.
Learning their tracks can help as there may be more than a couple groups. Native and feral to sort with them visiting same areas.
Must be some size to the ferals,guessing feet near or bigger than Ike and Mikes.
Witness accounts to killings would help i.d. suspects,are they true wild or in houses with people during off time?
Should be more conflict and a favored rest site if outdoors full time.Kills should be treated differently than if just for "play".

Kuger?

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's great to see Mike so healthy after the shape he was in when you started this thread. Seeing Ike after hearing about him for so long is also a treat. Mike and Ike for President!

Hello.
Ain,t that Ms. Mz. Javert? To sweet for a male.

Kuger?

You would be correct. My username comes from when I was on a Les Miserables (Les Miz) online forum years ago.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Mzjavert..... Yea I really hope I don't have to add to this thread with another mauling taking place anytime soon. Yea Mikes doing great and is now much more domesticated since the mauling. Ike still hangs onto his "roots" some. For some reason Ike always (90%) turns his head and "eyes" you from the side. Never seen anything like it at all. But thanks for the interest and sharing your thoughts... Brad

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to hear Mike is doing well! My suggestion for tree cams seems like a good one still!
My twin brother and I were up in the local SoCal mountains and we could hear a feral pack of dogs off in the distance.
I asked what the hell was that and he told me that they are wild dogs he has seen come through the camp where the 6th graders from the local school district go for a week each year!
After that I never hiked without my 9mm!
Best of luck and be careful!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear Mike is doing well! My suggestion for tree cams seems like a good one still!
My twin brother and I were up in the local SoCal mountains and we could hear a feral pack of dogs off in the distance.
I asked what the hell was that and he told me that they are wild dogs he has seen come through the camp where the 6th graders from the local school district go for a week each year!
After that I never hiked without my 9mm!
Best of luck and be careful!

RustyGold.... yea I totally agree with you about the cams. And others have suggested it also. Here's the slight problem... There's NO DOUBT I'd get some great wildlife photos. When I say I live in the woods I mean IN THE WOODS. Surrounded by 1000's of acres of wooded ridges and gully's. These feral dogs are not following a routine route I believe. So where to put any camera's to capture pictures of feral dogs is just a chance thing. If I had a 100 of them it wouldn't begin to scratch the surface. But I totally understand your thinking and logic and I agree... don't know where to start. And getting a picture wouldn't be the same as looking through a scope. Brad

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand and see the bigger picture now! I hope you get a chance to scope one soon!
Best of luck to you and yours!

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oohhh coyotes are so pretty they would never do a thing like that. Why would the General public ban leg hold traps if coyotes were dangerous? They look so pretty and sound so nice at night howling. They are so little they would never hurt anything. Just like the mountain lions there so pretty too. We should never hurt one of gods little creatures.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. Oohhh coyotes are so pretty they would never do a thing like that. 2. Why would the General public ban leg hold traps if coyotes were dangerous? 3. They look so pretty and sound so nice at night howling. 4. They are so little they would never hurt anything. 5. Just like the mountain lions there so pretty too. 6. We should never hurt one of gods little creatures.

1. I don't believe a coyote(s) did. And yes they would to protect themselves and/or eat.... as I would.
2. Leg held traps don't know the difference between a skunk or you.
3. I believe all animals "look nice" and I've never heard a coyote howl (yet).... just yip and scream ALOT.
4. They may be "small" (I've seen large ones)... but one on one my nickel's on the coyote and yes they wouldn't hurt nothing... they'll kill first.
5. Mountain lions are "pretty too"... That's very true.
6. "We should never hurt one of gods little creatures." Agreed.... but I'll kill one to protect family, home, pets, myself and EAT..... In a HEARTBEAT!!!!!

I'm late for my Saturday afternoon beer run myself now.... just saying... later, Brad

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all animals look nice? must not have seen a possum!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread