Mystery point!

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey all,
Hope everyone is doing well and finding nice artifacts. I went hunting on Friday before work again and found this beauty. No one seems to know what it is yet, but everyone agrees it's a rare find. I had no words to describe the excitement I felt when I reached down and found the finest point have ever found. It's 4 and 1/2 inches long and 7/8 wide. I know it's some kind of a lancelot, but I don't know what type. It has a small flute on one side and is serrated from the tip to the base. I have been very lucky to find some of the artifacts that I have already found this year. Any opnions on type or age are welcomed from all. The closest thing is resembles is a Littl Bear Creek, but those are from the southeastern states. Thanks in advance and Happy Hunting.
badandy

Attachments

• P2230367.JPG
    P2230367.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • P2230368.JPG
    P2230368.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • P2230369.JPG
    P2230369.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • P2230370.JPG
    P2230370.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,097
Upvote 0

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am drowned with snow also, what size creek do you hunt. i have a couple small creeks by my house where the bank has eroded away in alot of places.
what is a good technique to look in creeks for points, also what should i look for to give me signs that it will be a productive creek. thanks.
p.s. that is a awesome arrowhead, all of them you find are.
I have found 12 this year in a field no where near water. way up on a hill.
but half are broken badly.

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Thanks! I have tried to take a close up of it, but I am not good at taking them. I will have some for you all in the weeks to come.
trevmma I will give you some answers in a personal message at a later date.
badandy

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Anthony, that's a beautiful point. The serrations are fabulous. I love the dark flint too. I found one today that was a dark color. I'll post it later. I think I may have a point similar to that style... I'll post it.

I'm thinking it's either a stemmed Hardin variant. Or... A exceptionally long, exceptionally serrated, exceptionally exceptional stemmed adena point.

Just my 2 cents!

Keep em coming bud!

xstevenx

Attachments

• Cannon\'s 1 232.jpg
    Cannon\'s 1 232.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,054

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Words fail me at this time, you must have eagle eyes.

Fossis............................

Devilflish

Jun 15, 2006
St. Le-wis Mo.
Hey BadAndy, its been a while since ive been on the forum.

Very nice find. I haven't been out looking for rock in a long time. Work has been keeping me to busy.
I want to get out this weekend though, after all the rain we just had. The creeks might cough something up if i am lucky.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I am speachless. What an awesome point! Absolutely perfect! You have some nice spots out there, I'm amazed. Keep finding them for us that are froze in here!

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Thanks everyone! Man Johnny that does look alot like the one I found.
Pickaway...You are the wind beneth my wings. LOL!
badandy

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful point.WOW! I would agree with Johnny X it looks like a narrow stemmed adena.I don't know much though, about your area or points,i'm just looking at pictures.You got much black flint in Illinois do ya,or do you think it could be of been imported from somewhere else? Very nice to say the least! :)

Attachments

• adena-narrow-stemmed.jpg
    adena-narrow-stemmed.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 997
OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
No not much black flint in IL. This point is not black though it looks like it is. There is only one small spot on the other side that has the real color showing. It looks tan or light brown, but who knows when I clean it I might see lots of cool colors. When I do I will for sure post some pics. for you all.
badandy

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Nice find mr.Badandy,Thats one of the benefits of creek hunting.That baby probably wouldnt have fared so well in the fields.My first ever find was in a creek in Illinois it was whole and I was hooked.I have found only one point made of black flint in illinois.But I have seen plenty of collections with few or no black points.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Andy---

Awesome find.....I am in Indiana and the weather has just not been conducive to going out and walking the creek banks...or the fields of snow. Going to KY for the weekend so I hope to get out and find some things! Really looking forward to seeing that cleaned up and a close up shot. How do you clean? (besides very carefully) Do you have to worry about certain kinds of cleaners/chemicals?

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Thanks everyone! I only clean'em with water and a toothbrush. I have cleaned up pics. around the 11th or 12th of March for you all. Until then here are some pics. I tried to take of the flaking. Thanks for looking and type is still open for suggestions.
badandy

Attachments

• P2260371.JPG
    P2260371.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 945
  • P2260372.JPG
    P2260372.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 930
  • P2260373.JPG
    P2260373.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 922

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautiful find and nice in situ pics. My 2 cents says a really well made stemmed Adena or a Little Bear Creek point. Pretty far north for the latter. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread