Mystery point!

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey all,
Hope everyone is doing well and finding nice artifacts. I went hunting on Friday before work again and found this beauty. No one seems to know what it is yet, but everyone agrees it's a rare find. I had no words to describe the excitement I felt when I reached down and found the finest point have ever found. It's 4 and 1/2 inches long and 7/8 wide. I know it's some kind of a lancelot, but I don't know what type. It has a small flute on one side and is serrated from the tip to the base. I have been very lucky to find some of the artifacts that I have already found this year. Any opnions on type or age are welcomed from all. The closest thing is resembles is a Littl Bear Creek, but those are from the southeastern states. Thanks in advance and Happy Hunting.
badandy

Attachments

• P2230367.JPG
    P2230367.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • P2230368.JPG
    P2230368.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • P2230369.JPG
    P2230369.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • P2230370.JPG
    P2230370.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,097
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Sure looks like it belongs in the Benton family (of which there are a myriad of variations). Nice find, regardless of what name you want to stick on it.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W, Andy!! Now, if I had found that, I think I would be typing from a hospital room, cause they would have to be treating me for heart failure. When does it start to get warm up there? Cause, I'm packing my bags. ;D

;) RR

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Well I found out that it's a little bear creek! I was told that where I found it was the farthest west anyone has ever found one. Another collector has found some down near Rend Lake and showed them to me and the flaking is the same. Mystery solved! Thanks for all the input and Happy Hunting!
badandy

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Very nice! I was at the artifact show today but I couldn't find you for the life of me. I showed up about 10 minutes before they started handing out the awards. For some reason I was under the impression that the show was going on until 2pm. I'm interested in maybe getting a table for the next close show. I just had some questions about it. Hit me back.

xstevenx

S

sassyrockhunter

omg that is such a nice find!! i think i would pee my pants lol if i ran across that!!...

You mentioned RendLake can one find stuff around that area? I figured when the lake was made since it was manmade that it would have messed all that up..

My Inlaws live up that way and I am always saying I wanna walk a creek on their land.. I would really like for them to just till up a couple of their fields lol but no luck there since most of its no till and they have retired so there sits the fields :'(

Denise

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont
Badandy, that's a nice find. I have found some good spear points but nothing with workmanship like that. I don't know what kind of point it is, but it looks early to mid archaic to me. Jim

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
badandy said:
Hey all,
Hope everyone is doing well and finding nice artifacts. I went hunting on Friday before work again and found this beauty. No one seems to know what it is yet, but everyone agrees it's a rare find. I had no words to describe the excitement I felt when I reached down and found the finest point have ever found. It's 4 and 1/2 inches long and 7/8 wide. I know it's some kind of a lancelot, but I don't know what type. It has a small flute on one side and is serrated from the tip to the base. I have been very lucky to find some of the artifacts that I have already found this year. Any opnions on type or age are welcomed from all. The closest thing is resembles is a Littl Bear Creek, but those are from the southeastern states. Thanks in advance and Happy Hunting.
badandy
Woodland, adena real nice find, found my first creek find this year last nite I,ll post pic when i get chance jeff ohioriver hunter

Wish I could chime in with a guess, but I'm unfamiliar with your area. Kramer, Adena narrow stem, those do seem to fit, but the flaking on it is more like the early archaic...Need to ask Matt Rowe.
Nice point though. Wish I had some nice gravely creeks close by here!!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Here is one that I found that has a very similar stem but it is only about 1/2 as long. I could never get an ID for this one either.

Attachments

• CIMG1421 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG1421 (Medium).JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 355
  • CIMG1421 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG1421 (Medium).JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 361

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No mystery at all. I know exactly what kind it is. I classify it as a killer point. That is exactly what it is!!!! VVEERRYY cool piece. That would be in my top 10 for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Steve

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
savant365 said:
Here is one that I found that has a very similar stem but it is only about 1/2 as long. I could never get an ID for this one either.

Table Rock or Rice side notched. Is the "stem" area ground? If so, most likely Table rock..if not, most likely Rice. Both are prevalent in your area. It looks more like a Rice side (shallow) notch point though from the pic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread