Namster Silvery September (hunting log)

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the wife needed some stuff from the corner store..which happens to be right next to a Wells. Went in and asked for boxes of dimes. The tellers eyes lit up and she said "we have tons of dimes!" Turns out the courier delivered too many boxes or something like that, they actually did not have room for them in the vault so the manager made each teller buy a box to keep in their cabinet. I bought 4 boxes of dimes and $50 in CRW halves. Dimes did not fare well, but not a total skunk so I am happy.

Dimes:

1) Skunk
2) 64
3) Skunk
4) Skunk

Halves:

$50 CWRs: 65, 69

Earlier in the day we helped my inlaws clean out their garage. My wife found her childhood piggy bank. Funny thing is she thought the bicentennials were cool so she had a crap load of them. Buried deep down was a 61 quarter. She wanted to add it to our silver stash so in it goes.

September is off to a good start! HH everyone!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go namster, gotta love it when the bank over orders! i've had that happen a few times and walked out with 3-4 boxes too! they never seem to over-order my half dollars though, if anything, the order is short a box.
hh
buff

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
4 Silvers the first day of the month, nice! Good luck this month! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny because I know this branch has 2K in halves almost always. Probelm is the boxes from this courier have been skunks for the last 40-50 or so. They are all the same, loose rolls on one end. I went through a crap load of those and just stopped because the other two couriers in town have produced fine, decided to focus all my effort on them.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
]
Way to start out the month.

I know a bank about 1 1/2 hours away fro here, in a small community that has a wall of dime boxes full of CWR's. Working 6 days a week makes it impossible for me to get out there. What I plan on doing is taking a vacation day one of these days, head in that direction and buy all I can. I am not joking when I say I saw about 20-30 boxes of dimes lining their wall. Wish I could ask simply for the ones on the bottom :D

MY bank had no dimes or nickels for me this week so I wont start my month until Wednesday with 2 halves. Maybe things have got back to normal for a bit for me.

As for my hours, they have been cut. Down to 40 hours a week, not sure what I will do with the free time.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they're probrably empty, i could be wrong, but it does not seem logical for a bank to have 20-30 boxes of dimes($5,000-$7,500) just sitting out where everybody could see, especially if they have a vault... go for it though! ask for them all..
hh
buff
]
Way to start out the month.

I know a bank about 1 1/2 hours away fro here, in a small community that has a wall of dime boxes full of CWR's. Working 6 days a week makes it impossible for me to get out there. What I plan on doing is taking a vacation day one of these days, head in that direction and buy all I can. I am not joking when I say I saw about 20-30 boxes of dimes lining their wall. Wish I could ask simply for the ones on the bottom :D

MY bank had no dimes or nickels for me this week so I wont start my month until Wednesday with 2 halves. Maybe things have got back to normal for a bit for me.

As for my hours, they have been cut. Down to 40 hours a week, not sure what I will do with the free time.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, any silver is good! Those old childhood hoards are cool to find, I pulled some silver from coins I stashed away as a kid. One was a walking liberty half in my box of magic tricks that I forgot I had put there. I'd say it counts as a cull!

Start of September for me: 4 boxes of halves, 1 box of dimes, 1 box of quarters: Skunk City

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
they're probrably empty, i could be wrong, but it does not seem logical for a bank to have 20-30 boxes of dimes($5,000-$7,500) just sitting out where everybody could see, especially if they have a vault... go for it though! ask for them all..
hh
buff

They are not empty, I picked up dimes from them when I went out on a road trip. I had picked up $1000 in dimes at the time and came out pretty good with approx 2 per box.They were in a vault room that was open at the time, the lady was handing me boxes out the door and I could see into the vault. She had tons of quarters as well, no halves though, not a single one in their vault.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I stopped by a bank I drive by all the time, had some free time before a meeting. They had 4 loose halves (clad), no dimes, and a coin counting machine. Since I am a member I asked if I could by the halves bag off the machine, the teller said I could as soon as it fills up. I explained that I have a bunch of halves in the car and could probably fill it. She said that would be fine. I bring the $500 bag in and they dump all $500 into the machine and bring the full $1000 bag for me to buy. My heart sank as I realized the other $500 was probably also a dump. Got home and went through them during lunch, with the help of my wife. Amazingly, the bag did actually produce silver:

63, 65, 66x2, 67, 68x2, 69x4

Best part is the bag was about $5 over filled, so this silver was almost free. :hello2: I also left my card for them to call when the bag fills again.

HH everyone!

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
I did that twice today! Already snagged a 45 Walker and a few odd foreign coins off the top.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Monday bank had my boxes today, pleasant surprise. Figured they would not come due to the holiday.

1) 67
2) Skunk

Not a bad day today. 11x40% and 1x90% for 1.99 OZT.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
My Monday bank had my boxes today, pleasant surprise. Figured they would not come due to the holiday.

1) 67
2) Skunk

Not a bad day today. 11x40% and 1x90% for 1.99 OZT.

Thats a good day there Namster! Nice on the bag finds too, expecting the skunk and finding silver is allways great. I had a good day myself, 4 boxes today, 15 40%'s and 2 Bens, and got to go into one of my banks vault today to get my boxes, thought that was pretty cool and found out the other guy at the branch that ordered halves a week ago had never showed up toget them, so she thinks he gave up on ordering anymore, yay! Now it's just me again. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good day there Namster! Nice on the bag finds too, expecting the skunk and finding silver is allways great. I had a good day myself, 4 boxes today, 15 40%'s and 2 Bens, and got to go into one of my banks vault today to get my boxes, thought that was pretty cool and found out the other guy at the branch that ordered halves a week ago had never showed up toget them, so she thinks he gave up on ordering anymore, yay! Now it's just me again. HH, Maverick.

Hey, thats cool! You should buy the other guys boxes if he is no longer picking them up. I snagged a bunch of silver when I found out another CRHer stopped picking up his boxes.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, thats cool! You should buy the other guys boxes if he is no longer picking them up. I snagged a bunch of silver when I found out another CRHer stopped picking up his boxes.

I did and didn't even know it, apparently after they had sat there she only ordered me 2 boxes for last week and gave his 2 to me to make my 4 boxes for the order, those were the boxes I got the Comemoratives out of last week, so that was really cool, he missed out. Maverick.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 6 boxes left over from last week. 3.8 oz I love finding silver in odd places.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I stopped by a bank I drive by all the time, had some free time before a meeting. They had 4 loose halves (clad), no dimes, and a coin counting machine. Since I am a member I asked if I could by the halves bag off the machine, the teller said I could as soon as it fills up. I explained that I have a bunch of halves in the car and could probably fill it. She said that would be fine. I bring the $500 bag in and they dump all $500 into the machine and bring the full $1000 bag for me to buy. My heart sank as I realized the other $500 was probably also a dump. Got home and went through them during lunch, with the help of my wife. Amazingly, the bag did actually produce silver:

63, 65, 66x2, 67, 68x2, 69x4

Best part is the bag was about $5 over filled, so this silver was almost free. :hello2: I also left my card for them to call when the bag fills again.

HH everyone!

How was that bag someone's dump with all that silver? You killed it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread