39F2947C-BC2A-49DD-82B6-D5875C654E79.jpeg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures are not the best so very hard to see the edges, looks likw quartz which is hard to work, I wouldn't say point, it looks like either maybe a thumb scraper or a piece of debitage but with out better pictures it is hard to say, especially since it is quartz, it could just be natural rock. Just an FYI, if you want opinions on a possible artifact always post best pictures possible of all sides, top bottom and the edges so members can see and are able to give better opinions based on what close up pictures reveal.

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some other pics
Hard to take pics
B1153607-FCD5-45D2-99B3-83D0050E06FC.jpeg
570FA2E4-EA97-4FFD-98FC-99E2466ADDBF.jpeg
47799061-2CD4-4D55-930B-4F99E3F3235D.jpeg

Pictures are not the best so very hard to see the edges, looks likw quartz which is hard to work, I wouldn't say point, it looks like either maybe a thumb scraper or a piece of debitage but with out better pictures it is hard to say, especially since it is quartz, it could just be natural rock. Just an FYI, if you want opinions on a possible artifact always post best pictures possible of all sides, top bottom and the edges so members can see and are able to give better opinions based on what close up pictures reveal.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
It does look like the correct quartz lithic that is found in that area. Sometimes with that material when they broke, they literally came apart.
Keep it, find more lay them out on a shelf and soon you will have your own reference.
I think more local knowledge will give there thoughts too.

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree on the quarts ID, but I’m leaning towards the natural piece option

It does look like the correct quartz lithic that is found in that area. Sometimes with that material when they broke, they literally came apart.
Keep it, find more lay them out on a shelf and soon you will have your own reference.
I think more local knowledge will give there thoughts too.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the key to IDing quartz artifacts is learning how to recognize the flaking scars. They have a distinct look even on low quality, sugary, mineralized quartzite but quite the opposite on a good tool grade of quartz. I cannot determine whether you have an artifact from your pics. If I were you, I'd start pitching pieces like that in a common location whether on the ground somewhere or in a container. When you've been in the hobby for a while, you'll probably want to look them over again. Keep the enthusiasm and keep looking DOWN! :laughing7:

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the key to IDing quartz artifacts is learning how to recognize the flaking scars. They have a distinct look even on low quality, sugary, mineralized quartzite but quite the opposite on a good tool grade of quartz. I cannot determine whether you have an artifact from your pics. If I were you, I'd start pitching pieces like that in a common location whether on the ground somewhere or in a container. When you've been in the hobby for a while, you'll probably want to look them over again. Keep the enthusiasm and keep looking DOWN! :laughing7:

Will definitely hold on to it for future reference

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get a lot of quartz artifacts in MA, and that definitely looks like the type of thing that I’d pick up. Flaking can be hard to spot on quartz, but the wavy/crenellated edge is a good sign of working. It’s likely a debitage flake or scraper.

OP
OP
8Reales

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get a lot of quartz artifacts in MA, and that definitely looks like the type of thing that I’d pick up. Flaking can be hard to spot on quartz, but the wavy/crenellated edge is a good sign of working. It’s likely a debitage flake or scraper.

Thank you for your input

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread