Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped my brother move from NC to Northern Indiana last weekend. I had hoped to detect an old late 1800's school site out in the country once I got there. Here is a picture of the original school, and the weeded / wooded lot where it once sat. Unfortunately, it was posted no trespassing, is owned by a peat moss company, and the office was closed. I didn't want to detect without permission, so I just walked a little section by the road. I did see a lot of old red brick pieces and a mason jar lid, so maybe next time I can get permission to MD it. A "thanks" to Kyle for confirming my research of the exact location using old maps & Google.
As a backup I had a 120 year old farm house location just down the road to hit quickly before we unloaded my brothers moving van. It was just recently burnt to the ground by the fire dept. using it as a training exercise.
The wind was wicked as all get out on Friday. Note my towel blowing sideways in the picture. The chunky good looking guy is me. ;D The bicycle bell was my very first find. I found a 1934 wheat, and other crappe'. The soil was very easy to dig, dark black soil. I noticed the wheats look a lot better out of the ground in Indiana -vs- NC. :icon_scratch:
Not much of a hunt as I then had my brother screaming for us to get going. The rest of my two days up there were nothing but rain, SNOW, and heavy winds. It totally sucked!!! :'(
Once back to NC and this beautiful weather, I hit the plantation house yesterday at lunch. Still gridding the pasture area I found a cleaner bullet, a chewed bullet, and a button.
The owners finally mowed the lawn so I was able to MD in it again. I want to thank Bob & Bob for leaving me another silver dime to find. :thumbsup: Not a Barber or Merc, but with the silver drought I've been having I'll take it. ;D
Sorry for the long-winded post. ;D

In closing, I just want to say I will be on TN a bit less than normal for awhile. I have a honey-do list to complete before it gets too hot here in NC, and my annual kids fishing derby to get ready for.

Thanks everyone,
MM

Attachments

• lakeview_school_1890[1].jpg
    lakeview_school_1890[1].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 649
  • Lakeview school site.jpg
    Lakeview school site.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 653
  • Miner LaPorte County.jpg
    Miner LaPorte County.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 657
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 656
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 650
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 650
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 656
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds, MM. 8) Hate that the weather didn't cooperate, but what can ya do?

Don't stay away too long, you know we'd miss ya! :)

Nana

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You look good bro...even when you're not in a dress!! :wink: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

There is no doubt in my mind that that little rich kid doing a head stand on the front lawn of that school dropped numerous large cents out of his pocket. Get back there and find them dude! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rob

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Doug,
Did you take your dress -just in case?lol
Bummer you didn't get to do-the-school. Maybe next time.
Meanwhile back in NC, get in as much as you can.
TN Joe

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! And great research! Burning down that old house is about the most shocking thing of your story, though! Thanks for sharing you finds and adventure!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
Super finds, MM. 8) Hate that the weather didn't cooperate, but what can ya do?

Don't stay away too long, you know we'd miss ya! :)

Nana

Thanks Nana.

Evolution said:
You look good bro...even when you're not in a dress!! :wink: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

There is no doubt in my mind that that little rich kid doing a head stand on the front lawn of that school dropped numerous large cents out of his pocket. Get back there and find them dude! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob

Thanks Ev. I'm glad I didnt wear my dress that day. It would of blown up like Marilyn Monroe's, and I know you wouldn't want to see that. :o ;D
-MM-

Tennessee-Joe said:
Doug,
Did you take your dress -just in case?lol
Bummer you didn't get to do-the-school. Maybe next time.
Meanwhile back in NC, get in as much as you can.
TN Joe

Thanks Joe.
Now that my brother is living back there I will have a place to stay FREE when I go visit. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Lookin said:
Great finds! And great research! Burning down that old house is about the most shocking thing of your story, though! Thanks for sharing you finds and adventure!

Thanks Lookin. I wish I could of seen the house before they torched it. :'( It will soon be plowed under and made back into farm land.
-MM-

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Lish...
Glad to see you made it back...
Nice to see another Righteous assortment...
Great Dime...ROCK ON...
Don't stay away too long... :'( :'( :'( - There are Golden Rats to be had... :thumbsup:
Nick

Thanks Buddy.
Hopefully one of us will collect on our bet this year. :wink: ;D
Great job on the Indian artifacts. :thumbsup:
-Lish-

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Fantastic old picture of the schoolhouse, Doug. Too bad you couldn't detect it this time.

Don't worry, Doug. You won't be forgotten.. :'( Don't stay away too long, buddy!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Doug. That old group shot with the school is awesome too.

Nat

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Put a little hitch in your get along"....Bro or no Bro,I think I might have said something different Doug :wink: That's why I went from a 8' bed to a 5' bed :thumbsup: 6 bro's and sis's alway's moving :icon_scratch: Glad you're back MM....Have your brother work on permission for the old school house,look's like a "gold mine".Good to see the best find's are from Carolina.Congrat's on the Silver.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hiya Doug!

Glad you had a safe trip and did the good relative thing. :icon_king:
Cool digs buddy, great to your smiling face!!

Get that 'doo list done quick!

I can relate, I am working 7 days a week right now... uggg,
oh well. Been writing a lot and got 4 poems accepted for publication lately.
Maybe I'll get out soo and doo a bit of swinging.

Take care my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Yo, Doug Dude, it is nice to see that you got back to good ole NC safely. It is always good when you can spend some time with family.

It sucks to hear about the office being closed. That site should produce some nice coins and other artifacts once you're granted permission. Don't worry, those coins aren't a going nowhere, buddy! :thumbsup:

That plantation site looks MASSIVE; it should produce many more nice items! :icon_sunny:

Keep the fever high, my friend!

Kyle

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Doug... Good to see you back in the saddle again. I was starting to get concerned. Haven't seen any posts from you for over a week.

By the way.... did you ever find out any more about that .69 or .71 or .75 cal bullet that you found a couple weeks ago?

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old school lot will give you good reason to visit your brother again...real soon.
Sorry the weather didn't cooperate but you did get some goodies. Congrats!

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I'm alittle concerned about the dress thing, oh well each to his own. My dress is a nice florel print :D Nice cleaner bullet and also the chewed bullet is special. Oh yea, good for you for not hunting on property that you don't have permission for. I'm really discovering here lately that a "few bad apples ruins the whole bunch" I'm refering to all of the places I've tried to get permission to hunt on ,that have been DENIED because of previous people that don't respect the land owners.........
-JC

KDMB

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
.....snip, snip...

The owners finally mowed the lawn so I was able to MD in it again. I want to thank Bob & Bob for leaving me another silver dime to find. :thumbsup: Not a Barber or Merc, but with the silver drought I've been having I'll take it. ;D

I have a honey-do list to complete before it gets too hot here in NC, and my annual kids fishing derby to get ready for.
MM
OK.... where'd you find the dime? Don't tell me it was in the front yard. ::)

Where's the kid's fishing derby and who's sponsoring it?

metal chick

Mar 25, 2008
Oh wow - awesome finds! I was living in IN last Summer - staying in Michigan City and working in LaPorte. Nice to know there are some cool spots there! :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the school but nice finds down on the farm! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions