Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped my brother move from NC to Northern Indiana last weekend. I had hoped to detect an old late 1800's school site out in the country once I got there. Here is a picture of the original school, and the weeded / wooded lot where it once sat. Unfortunately, it was posted no trespassing, is owned by a peat moss company, and the office was closed. I didn't want to detect without permission, so I just walked a little section by the road. I did see a lot of old red brick pieces and a mason jar lid, so maybe next time I can get permission to MD it. A "thanks" to Kyle for confirming my research of the exact location using old maps & Google.
As a backup I had a 120 year old farm house location just down the road to hit quickly before we unloaded my brothers moving van. It was just recently burnt to the ground by the fire dept. using it as a training exercise.
The wind was wicked as all get out on Friday. Note my towel blowing sideways in the picture. The chunky good looking guy is me. ;D The bicycle bell was my very first find. I found a 1934 wheat, and other crappe'. The soil was very easy to dig, dark black soil. I noticed the wheats look a lot better out of the ground in Indiana -vs- NC. :icon_scratch:
Not much of a hunt as I then had my brother screaming for us to get going. The rest of my two days up there were nothing but rain, SNOW, and heavy winds. It totally sucked!!! :'(
Once back to NC and this beautiful weather, I hit the plantation house yesterday at lunch. Still gridding the pasture area I found a cleaner bullet, a chewed bullet, and a button.
The owners finally mowed the lawn so I was able to MD in it again. I want to thank Bob & Bob for leaving me another silver dime to find. :thumbsup: Not a Barber or Merc, but with the silver drought I've been having I'll take it. ;D
Sorry for the long-winded post. ;D

In closing, I just want to say I will be on TN a bit less than normal for awhile. I have a honey-do list to complete before it gets too hot here in NC, and my annual kids fishing derby to get ready for.

Thanks everyone,
MM

Attachments

• lakeview_school_1890[1].jpg
    lakeview_school_1890[1].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 650
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 645
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 657
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 651
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 651
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 657
  • Miner LaPorte County.jpg
    Miner LaPorte County.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 658
  • Lakeview school site.jpg
    Lakeview school site.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 654
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwsnc said:
ModernMiner said:
.....snip, snip...

The owners finally mowed the lawn so I was able to MD in it again. I want to thank Bob & Bob for leaving me another silver dime to find. :thumbsup: Not a Barber or Merc, but with the silver drought I've been having I'll take it. ;D

I have a honey-do list to complete before it gets too hot here in NC, and my annual kids fishing derby to get ready for.
MM
OK.... where'd you find the dime? Don't tell me it was in the front yard. ::)

Where's the kid's fishing derby and who's sponsoring it?

Bob,
The dime was not in the front yard, but close. Facing the house, it was in the small gully in front of the hedge row on the right side of the house. I had to work for it though, as it was under a few inches of leaves too. I may try the large left side yard again while the grass is low. Where the heck are the rest of the old coins? :icon_scratch: ???

As far as the fishing derby, it's in our subdivision, and this will be the third one I've run. They give me a whopping $150 budget and that has to cover 6 trophies, bait, ice, drinks, and some gift certificates for our drawings. There are usually 15-20 kids that participate and they have a blast. We have a good sized pond in our subdivision that has Bass, Crappie, Panfish, Catfish, and huge Grass Carp.

Here's one my son caught in November 07'. (Not in the contest)

-Doug-

Attachments

• Grass Carp.jpg
    Grass Carp.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Grass Carp.jpg
    Grass Carp.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 317

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... that just HAS to be the last coin on the property. There can't possibly be anything left. :-\

The fishing derby sounds like fun. It's great for the kids.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwsnc said:
Well... that just HAS to be the last coin on the property. There can't possibly be anything left. :-\

The fishing derby sounds like fun. It's great for the kids.

I know there's buttons still. I found three more in the pasture at lunch today. One early 1800's button was right up next to the horse barn. The donkey came rushing out of there and scared the cr-p out of me. :o ;D
I'm towards the top of that pasture now closer to the house. Lots of junk and horse doo to wade through I'm afraid. :'(
I should have it done by next week, or this Saturday if I can make it over there.
-Doug-

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug, Did you ever find out any more about that .69 or .71 or .75 cal bullet that you found a couple weeks ago?

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwsnc said:
Doug, Did you ever find out any more about that .69 or .71 or .75 cal bullet that you found a couple weeks ago?

Nothing more than BuckleBoy ID'd it as.
-Doug

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey Doug, when I first saw the pics before reading the story I was thinking you find bullets everywhere you go! :D

Too bad on the weather but real men detect in the snow. :wink: ;D

That schoolhouse site looks very promising.

I know what you mean on the "to do" list. Now that spring is really here the yardwork has started. Not to mention those teenagers. I haven't even finished with getting Nate settled in college and now we gotta go start looking at colleges with Rachel.

Bob

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Hey Doug, when I first saw the pics before reading the story I was thinking you find bullets everywhere you go! :D

Too bad on the weather but real men detect in the snow. :wink: ;D

That schoolhouse site looks very promising.

I know what you mean on the "to do" list. Now that spring is really here the yardwork has started. Not to mention those teenagers. I haven't even finished with getting Nate settled in college and now we gotta go start looking at colleges with Rachel.

Bob

Bob,
That's why I wasn't MDing in the snow. Did you see my dress? :o :wink:
I found two more bullets today in the SAME HOLE!!! One three ringer & one cleaner. Both drops.
Sarah has prom soon. Thank God, because I'm going broke. :tongue3:
When you get done with YOUR yardwork come on down & help me. I'll treat you to a REALE good time for helping.
Hope you and the family are doing well.
-Doug-

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More excellent finds MM :thumbsup:
Great pics and post.