Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to beat the rain. I wanted to get one day digging out this weekend. I went to a POUNDED Civil War site some distance from here. My Tesoro Cibola wanted to come, so I said ok, it and the Deus were "arguing" in the back seat about who would do better.

Got to the site and basically switched machines a few times. Here are the results. Both machines did very well.

Took the Cibola first around a log we had been digging last week. First thing out was a piece of a civil war cartridge box tin, nothing dramatic, but you don't find many anymore. I found some glass and nails in the hole, and just decided to move a little of the horrid red dirt back and I'm basically flipping some dirt over and I see this little "A" on top of the pile. The Cibola had heard it as non ferrous, remember that machine is a turn and go type. It is a Union kepi hat letter "A". This is the first hat letter I have ever found. View attachment IMG_0742.jpg I found a hat #"1" last summer, but this is my first hat letter and I was jazzed. Went around the tree some more and pulled out some small pieces of camp lead. I moved over a few feet and found two bullets "hiding" about 4" down under a large tree limb, which I had to move out of the way. View attachment IMG_0740.jpg Then I moved to the other side of the tree, and alternately used the Tesoro and the Deus, depending on which whimpered the most. I wound up with 2 eagle buttons, 1 underwear button and my first ever coat Virginia Button! All in all a good day.

View attachment IMG_0743.jpg

I then got tired of this little are, and moved off around 50' looking for any concentration of metals. I found some broken glass, the one piece is from a green flask, nails, more camp lead, and two 1930's shotgun shell bases. These are now hard finds from this site as it has been dug since the 1960's. The largest piece of camp lead the Deus nailed down near a gulley. It was fun. The site doesn't seem to produce coins. They may have been cherry picked out of it a long time ago. View attachment IMG_0744.jpg View attachment IMG_0745.jpg View attachment IMG_0746.JPG View attachment IMG_0747.JPG View attachment IMG_0748.jpg

Upvote 37
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Do you think the "A" is a company letter? That's what I've been believing all this time. The site I'm in is a mixed infantry and cavalry site. Have not found anything like an "eagle a" to think it was artillery. Just curious.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokey, you are correct. The A is a company letter. I had just made a post concerning the find of an artillery button, and I had a brain freeze. This was worn signifying the soldiers company he was assigned to. Great find and in great shape too.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know NY and Mass buttons have been found within 100 yards of this site. I could probably figure out which regiment was there, but that Civil War atlas has print so tiny I can't read it.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!! Those buttons are very nice!!! Great saves!!:occasion14:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I love those buttons , I have a Virginia or a South Carolina button on my bucket list, nice job Smokey

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all of your finds, and another excellent Civil War find.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'll be going back but signals are getting fewer and fewer. What I do is if I get in an area with scrap iron, I just dig around and shave off a few inches of dirt to see what is underneath. Then detect the "New" top of the ground, and it works very well.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice set of finds.

That "A" is really something else. Wow.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping there are some more of these in the spot. By switching to the higher 74khz setting on the Deus HF coil, more things are showing up than in the last couple years. I found out the 28khz didn't do the job. The 74 does it however. It will pick up some of the half dollar size ration can pieces, but I can live with that.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting. I dug w that looks exactly like that A same exact Style. Civil War General service button was found nearby. But I always figured the W was from a piece of Machinery or something. I just went looking for it and now I can't find it. Congrats on the nice group of finds and thanks for the education on the letter.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about a "W". I did get back to the spot and stumbled on a bottle dump. Most broken but not all of them! Now for the cleanup. Also got my first coin or ID tag or token from the site. Probably a coin but it's not getting cleaned today. I had a boo boo.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you killed it again !

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My shovel killed it again. This is a tough spot. Looks like the mad gophers had a party. I did fill in all holes, smooth the dirt and redecorate with sticks and leaves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread