Need A Question answered

E

Elusive

Hi me and my friend have been metal detecting for about a week and a half, and I Was just wondering when u dig up a plug and put it back is the grass going to die? I was wanting to know because I have a few places to detect other than playgrounds but dont want to leave brown dead spots in these peoples yards. Any help would be much appreciated thanks and have a good day or night.

Upvote 0

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely yes. Especially with the warmer weather.
The grass plug usually will come back in time.
Always try on your own lawn to see the results.
Try digging a plug and don't water and did a plug and water to see the results.
Hope that helps.
The results will speak for themselves.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Most likely it will discolor. Never cut a complete circle unless it's in an area that doesn't matter. Learn several digging techniques and use them accordingly.
There's the complete circle, a half circle, cutting a single slit and working the item out that way or try levering it out with your probe. (not an electronic one.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
I dug plugs all over my yard and most were fairly deep so I thought I'd save the roots. They all turned brown and my yard looked diseased. It's been maybe two months now and they're blending back in (we haven't had any rain) and I only water maybe once a week.
hh

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
its seems if dig a 3/4 circle & hinge it back you have pretty good luck,my yard is all sod & this works most of the time.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Most likely it will discolor. Never cut a complete circle unless it's in an area that doesn't matter. Learn several digging techniques and use them accordingly.
There's the complete circle, a half circle, cutting a single slit and working the item out that way or try levering it out with your probe. (not an electronic one.

Great advice there....The drier the ground is the longer it will take for the grass to recover. I try to hunt places that don't matter in the summer or if it hasn't rained very recently. It's hard to get the object out of the ground if it's deep if you cut a single slit but it's the easiest on the grass.

Good luck and now go find the biggun!...Oh, and welcome to the forum

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Do it and be nice.......some people have g....s and for sure you don't want to collect that

:)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm starting to be more cautious about lawn searches already and it's only early May. We've had heat and little rain recently, so the grass will brown if you're not careful. I've thought of using some water on dug holes, just to prevent it.

kcommandos

Oct 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
whites classic idx
it really depends on where you are digging plugs at i did a few in my yard last year
all the grass came back.shaded areas are OK.seems like it will grow back
but sunny areas can dry out.so you may want to use a probe.or only
cut plug half way unless you like watering alot

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
The plug should always be deeper than the roots and feel cool and moist. Don't tear the plug apart looking for a shallow coin in it if you want it to survive.

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
This a great video of how to dig a plug, in case you haven't seen it already since this forum is where I saw it. Not sure if this is helpful but I thought I would share it in case it is.

HH
Cheryl

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Tnetters carry a small water squirt bottle and remoisten the plug when it is put back. Supposidly that will prevent browning, but I have never tried it. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it all depends on how moist the soil is. if its dry the plugs will surely turn brown. as soon as it rains a little they will turn green again. if its fairly moist with rain in the immediate forcast they wont turn brown at all. just make sure you dig your plugs deep enough not to slice all of the roots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread