Need Advice...And Soon

M

miser

Ok, I have an opportunity to purchase a Minelab Sovereign Elite (generation just prior to the GT apparently) with a long handled sand scoop (I'll be doing mostly beach hunting) together for $500.00.

I'm a relatively inexperienced metal detectorist and I know there's a bit of a learning curve for the Sovereign's and Excal's.

So the question is, provided this machine is in excellent condition, should I grab it or pass?

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
i have never used one my self but i here good stuff about them. I would say get it and put a w.o.t coil on it and kill some beaches . :icon_thumright:
I here they are deep detectors and are rugged. I dont think you will regret it...

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are going to hunt the dry sand and water up to about two feet deep the Sovereign will be an excelent detector.
Use waders and place the detector box in the waders by your chest and you can go deeper.
I use the older XS-2a and they work fine at the beach.
If you dont like the Multi-Tones there is a switch to make it a Mono-Tone.
I recomend you use the multi-tone mode.
They are very deep and sensitive to the small gold items.

That is a good price for the detector and the scoop ... go for it ... you wont be sorry.

Willee

miser said:
Ok, I have an opportunity to purchase a Minelab Sovereign Elite (generation just prior to the GT apparently) with a long handled sand scoop (I'll be doing mostly beach hunting) together for $500.00.

I'm a relatively inexperienced metal detectorist and I know there's a bit of a learning curve for the Sovereign's and Excal's.

So the question is, provided this machine is in excellent condition, should I grab it or pass?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as others above, I have 2 Sov GT's, one has been custom waterproofed......The Sov is the best non waterproof beach detector there is....Add a WOT or SEF Butterfly coil (12x15 or 15x18) and you will own the beach........................

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I own and use a sovereign elite. I love it! I must qualify that statement with the fact that I've never used anything else though. It does go really deep, so be prepared to dig! I don't use it very much at the beach but when I have I've never had any problems with it. I can say that whenever I get a tone, you can bet something is there! I understand that it is a slightly heavy machine compared to others. Depending on the condition of the detector you want to buy, and with the long handled scoop, I'd say $500 is a good deal. Good luck!

vicki

OP
OP
M

miser

Thanks for your input everyone. You were all very helpful. Now I need to see if I'm willing to buy a used machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miser said:
Thanks for your input everyone. You were all very helpful. Now I need to see if I'm willing to buy a used machine.

I have had very good luck with used detectors, having bought 7 used detectors, and all arrived in good working condition, saved a ton of money on them as well.

Good luck sir...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions