Need advice on retrieving/digging numerous targets in my' yard.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well TNET friends, I am little embarrassed to ask for advice on retrieving targets in my' yard since I have metal detected off and on for going on 50 years but you will understand why when you read this! First off, I have suffered mostly severe back problems since March of 1973 while on bivouac in AIT in the U.S. Army and it has gotten progressively worse and worse over the last 20 years or so. My' back is so bad now that all of the lower lumbar discs (L1 through L5) are deteriorated and sitting on top of each other grinding away and popping out of place. To make matters worse, due to injuries and nerve neuropathy due to the pinched nerves in my' back, I have a lot of trouble squatting to dig and get back to my' feet. Now, through research, I found that the Civil War Battle of Mossy Creek was partially fought through my' property and it was an intense battle at times. First, the Confederates came through the area and engaged the Union Forces in Mossy Creek (now Jefferson City, TN) and pushed them all the way to New Market, TN before both forces broke off the fighting. After receiving reinforcements from Dandridge, the Union troops pushed the Confederate troops back through this same area and the Confederates made their last stand at the Fairvue (Fairview) mansion about 300+/- yards down the road from my' home before retreating to Talbott Station then to Russellville. My' property is somewhat on an uphill slope and I have long suspected that a slightly higher 2 to 3 foot wide hump or ridge in my' yard is what is left over of an entrenchment that the Union troops built while advancing on the Confederate troops. I have ventured into my' yard several times with metal detector in hand but have always found the many targets overwhelming to say the least. My latest venture was kind of at the end of my' "L" shaped driveway where it turns toward the garage. There is a large Cedar tree just to the right and this spot is the highest spot on my' property and is right where the high hump kind of melds into the landscape. I swung the metal detector (a newly acquired Garrett AT Pro) for a few minutes but hit 30 or more targets just within a 4 foot square. This area at the end of my' driveway has been used to turn around our' vehicles and has been filled with gravel many times over many years and is like rock to dig through. Technically, there is no way for me to dig the targets without either sitting down or laying down. I don't have heavy equipment to dig with but if I did, I would dig up everything and sift it through my' heavy duty 4 tier sifter. I can't afford to hire anyone to do the digging nor would I considering the potential for rare Civil War relics and other valuable items and I really have a hard time getting my' daughters and any of my' grandkids to help me. Any advice on how to move forward to retrieve any and possibly all targets in my' yard would be very much appreciated!

P.S. I believe that the original owner of the property and builder of my' home, descended from the original landowners/settlers from the late 1700's or early 1800's and believe he was fairly wealthy. I have a feeling that he may have buried some caches of money or there are some Civil War weapons buried in my' yard because I have came across several fairly large targets in the yard while metal detecting.

Thanks!

Frank

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear of your pain.

You property certainly has some great potential, thank you for sharing. :occasion14:

I wonder if you could engage a few local Tnetters to help you search your property and dig? :dontknow:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Professor got it right - you should give a shout out to some of your T-net homies , they can do the grunt work while you tell them where to dig - of course they get to walk with some CW goodies at the end of the day - and everybody's happy !

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you can contact someone that detects? If i lived in your area i would do it for free just for the thrill! Nothing more fun than digging history!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A fine predicament to be in...

I vote you start a couple feet away from the cedar. If roots get to be a battle of their own ,move out farther.

A small pick/mattock comes to mind. I have an olive drab one but not using it detecting. Yet...

You could use markers for a few hits that temp you. Or remove all signals one at a time. That's up to you.

Got a few targets marked? O.K.. Done swinging for a while.
If you want to water the site awhile and hit it the next day I won't object.

Bring a pad to sit on. And a cool beverage. Put the pad near a marked target. Transfer from your chair ,walker or feet to sitting on the ground.
Check mark with pinpointer. If a signal , gently remove layers ,or cut a plug.
If no signal start removing more.

Don't lean forward and pull. And don't do what you shouldn't. And take breaks to sit straight ,or slouch ,or stretch ,or twist ...Whatever you usually do when you are doing something you shouldn't.

You have the rest of your life to make recoveries. One at a time.
If it is one today. That counts.

If moving compacted gravel , be patient. And go a little bigger than you might if you were cutting a plug.
Such holes end up tapered fast.
The curved end of a crowbar ,or longer piece can wear down gravel by dragging. If it don't wear you out too much to do it.
Slow down. Try pinpointing again. No sense digging ,moving gravel if you don't have to.
When you've had enough. Turn your back on it till next time. Enjoy your cool beverage. Note the weather. Birds. Noise around. Breath in and out.
Toast the site. Enjoy some more of it all. You're in the game...

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I myself would not be in hurry if it was my property and could hunt it at will while taking my time and doing a little at a time. Local help would be your best bet as others mentioned. If it were me with some physical limitations, I'd certainly solicit others who would be interested in detecting the property. Places like that are getting harder and harder to find and serious relic hunters would jump at the chance to swing a detector with you. I've been given access to a location with a history somewhat similar to yours and I can't be grateful enough to the landowners for the privilege. Best of luck with it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll have to get someone in there with you.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give your grandkids some books about the civil war....maybe bury some "finds" to get them hooked?

Get yourself one of those micro tractors with the backhoe attachment.
Build a special narrow bucket.

Go around and cherry pick signals and mark with paint. Then go around and dig each one while on tractor.
Then go around on foot and investigate your battle field. Smooth holes out using front bucket. Avoid getting off and on tractor unless absolutely possible. Might damage some artifacts, but better than nothing...buried rifles is going to require a big hole anyway.

Otherwise join a treasure club and share the wealth so to speak.

A warning...call USA Underground Locate so you don't dig up an energized power cable or gas line...fiber optic cable, ect.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe tell some people you "found a cache of civil war weapons", just need help digging them up. Ha ha.

Thank you by the way for your continual sacrifice.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fine predicament to be in...

I vote you start a couple feet away from the cedar. If roots get to be a battle of their own ,move out farther.

A small pick/mattock comes to mind. I have an olive drab one but not using it detecting. Yet...

You could use markers for a few hits that temp you. Or remove all signals one at a time. That's up to you.

Got a few targets marked? O.K.. Done swinging for a while.
If you want to water the site awhile and hit it the next day I won't object.

Bring a pad to sit on. And a cool beverage. Put the pad near a marked target. Transfer from your chair ,walker or feet to sitting on the ground.
Check mark with pinpointer. If a signal , gently remove layers ,or cut a plug.
If no signal start removing more.

Don't lean forward and pull. And don't do what you shouldn't. And take breaks to sit straight ,or slouch ,or stretch ,or twist ...Whatever you usually do when you are doing something you shouldn't.

You have the rest of your life to make recoveries. One at a time.
If it is one today. That counts.

If moving compacted gravel , be patient. And go a little bigger than you might if you were cutting a plug.
Such holes end up tapered fast.
The curved end of a crowbar ,or longer piece can wear down gravel by dragging. If it don't wear you out too much to do it.
Slow down. Try pinpointing again. No sense digging ,moving gravel if you don't have to.
When you've had enough. Turn your back on it till next time. Enjoy your cool beverage. Note the weather. Birds. Noise around. Breath in and out.
Toast the site. Enjoy some more of it all. You're in the game...

Excellent advice.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe tell some people you "found a cache of civil war weapons", just need help digging them up. Ha ha.

Thank you by the way for your continual sacrifice.

Ha...Ha!! Did that back around 1983 in Key West. State of Florida Officials (probably Archies) came in and found 3 cases of Brown Bess Rifles, bullets, black powder and more, took them all out during the middle of the night and with the exception of one Brown Bess Rifle, everything disappeared.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for the advice and offers of help! I am not sure what I will do at this point as I have too many fires to put out per se. What I really need to do, is get in better shape even though my back problems limit what exercises I can do due to the pain and nerve neuropathy. Surgery is an option but the previous surgery did not help and the pain has been worse ever since and has gotten progressively worse over the years. Again thanks!

Frank

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I certainly hope your back gets better, Frank. Sometimes a follow-up surgery is beneficial, sometimes not. That's your call. You need to keep in mind that, as we age, surgeons are less optimistic about the outcome (I'm older than you so I can say things like that).

All good advice from the TN'rs. I'll bet there is someone in your area who would love to hunt your property with you. I wish I was closer (even though I'm only good for a couple hours at a time).

Best of luck with the back.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread