Do you ever say anything to those that scare at you while metal detecting ?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scare or stare?

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am pretty sure he means stare. My favorite one liner is "we are looking for the remains of that Uranium leak from years ago. Wanna help?". lol, then I tell them what I am really doing: saving history, one relic at a time.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i have had my cousin's dog come up behind me and stick his wet nose on my leg. scared the crap out of me

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time ago, some guy wanders to where I'm detecting. A farm near a new development. He had no idea what a metal detector was. Asked what we were doing (we had permission), and was rather snotty about it. I told him (incorrectly I might add), we were looking for a lost uranium canister from the local military base they lost a few years back. He ran away.

Yeah, this really happened. Yeah, I truly did it! :notworthy:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally just wave and ask how they are doing, they normally break contact and move off though a few do ask what I am looking for...I tell them Jimmy Hoffa

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im usually pleasant for the first question after i answer i put my headphones back on and start detecting if they ask a second question Ill rip my headphones of and say HUH with a pissed tone and they usually say never mind and walk away, of course this is only for nosy adults...

Iv always wanted to say " minding my own business how about you!! " but havent lol

Staring doesnt bother me I have a prosthetic left arm made out of carbon fiber soooo......lol

Last edited:

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had a people over the years stare out of curiosity and have generally been inquisitive and polite. I just usually nod or give a quick wave to let them know that I know they are there and go on about my business.

I did have one nosy neighboring landowner approach after watching me for some time on the other side of the fence. This person clearly had seen me unlock the property gate with a key given to me by the landowner but I guess that wasn't good enough in her mind to accept that I had permission to be there. Lady wandered closer to within earshot and and said " I don't believe I know you" with what I considered a rude inflection in her voice. I could see where this was headed so I replied with "no ma'am you don't but the land owners do. Something I can help you with?". She turned around and stomped off and I later learned she's the local busy body and they meant to mention I may encounter her. No harm no foul.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a people over the years stare out of curiosity and have generally been inquisitive and polite. I just usually nod or give a quick wave to let them know that I know they are there and go on about my business.

I did have one nosy neighboring landowner approach after watching me for some time on the other side of the fence. This person clearly had seen me unlock the property gate with a key given to me by the landowner but I guess that wasn't good enough in her mind to accept that I had permission to be there. Lady wandered closer to within earshot and and said " I don't believe I know you" with what I considered a rude inflection in her voice. I could see where this was headed so I replied with "no ma'am you don't but the land owners do. Something I can help you with?". She turned around and stomped off and I later learned she's the local busy body and they meant to mention I may encounter her. No harm no foul.

I wonder if "metal detecting while black" will be a new thing...

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A hunting trip back in the 80's my buddy and I were relic hunting in a part of West Atlanta where, how can I say this, was pretty much non-caucasion. We were having a pretty good day and wanted to break for lunch so we jumped in our truck and drove just down the street to the nearest chicken house establishment. Here we were, the only two white guys within miles, wearing cammo, and dirty, standing in line. We must have stood out like Boy George at a George Jones concert. Anyway, with my back turned I hear a voice from behind stating "What are yall' doing here? " I turned around to look into the chest of what I could only describe as a pair of linebackers from the Green Bay Packers. Quickly, I had to come up with something. I held my hand out and introduced myself as Sgt. O'brady and my partner of the G.B.I. I told the gentleman that we were investigating a double homicide which occurred a short distance away. I then asked this same gentleman if he had heard anything concerning this matter. The gentleman replied: "Man, I don't know nothin about no murders". The pair backed up, nothing more was said. When my buddy and I reached out table, he leaned forward and said "I can't believe you told them that". I told my buddy that I had to come up with something. Thank the Good Lord it worked. They were a lot bigger than we were...plus we felt a bit like George Armstrong Custer. Lol

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have gained a few permissions from people walking up to me while I was swinging the coil. I try to stay alert to my surroundings and am very seldom rude unless they try to bend my ear for too long. Sometimes being polite does not work so you need to be a little coarse.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It don't bother me one bit. As a matter of fact, i try to engage people when they do that. Its a great opportunity to get another permission!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was approached by a whole family at a local park, Two small children watched as I dug another pull tab then the father asked if I had found any gold. I laughingly replied no while digging another signal. It was a gold plated charm! I cleaned it off and handed it to the little girl. She ran to her mother screaming "that man just gave me this. Can I keep it?" I assured them she could and off they went. I took about 5 steps and dug a seated dime. I always take time to talk to anyone who approaches me. It gives the hobby a good reputation and has got me a few good permissions.
I might note that I carry a sidearm when I am in a questionable area but have never had a reason to even consider going for it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt even phase me people dont seem to bother me
If they ask I have pics on my phone of my jewelry boxes full of rings and stuff and lots of old silver they seem shocked lol

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I was metal detecting on Sands Beach in Key West back in 1983, when a drop dead beautiful but quite drunk lady in her 30's walked up and asked "Do you ever find anything with that thing?" Now understand that back then, I was pretty buff, had a nice tan and was wearing cut-off jeans and a t-shirt with no sleeves. To her question, I stated "Well, yes! It found you didn't it!!??" and she nearly jumped my bones right there on the beach. After getting up close and personal with drink in her' hand, she thought a minute and said excuse me, I am drunk and need to go back to my hotel room. Needless to say, I had to leave shortly after that to go home and take a cold shower.

Last edited:

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I was metal detecting on Sands Beach in Key West back in 1983, when a drop dead beautiful but quite drunk lady in her 30's walked up and asked "Do you ever find anything with that thing?" Now understand that back then, I was pretty buff, had a nice tan and was wearing cut-off jeans and a t-shirt with no arms. To her question, I stated "Well, yes It found you didn't it!!??" and she nearly jumped my bones right there on the beach. After getting up close and personal with drink in her' hand, she thought a minute and said excuse me, I am drunk and need to go back to my hotel room. Needless to say, I had to leave shortly after that to go home and take a cold shower.

Great story!

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Except for children, people in general don't come close enough to me to bother me. In parks if their parents let them I usually left them use the use the pin pointer and digger to dig out the finds. They're a bit rough but there isn't anything but a bit of clad so they won't hurt anything. They get bored pretty quickly and head back to playing. The only time I really had crowd was when I was using my detector to find a water shut off in a low income area of Orlando. Had people watching from the balconies lol.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Except for children, people in general don't come close enough to me to bother me. In parks if their parents let them I usually left them use the use the pin pointer and digger to dig out the finds. They're a bit rough but there isn't anything but a bit of clad so they won't hurt anything. They get bored pretty quickly and head back to playing. The only time I really had crowd was when I was using my detector to find a water shut off in a low income area of Orlando. Had people watching from the balconies lol.

One has to wonder if they were gawking to see if you dug up any crime related weapons!!??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread