NEED HELP, found $5500 diamond ring!!!!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Sphinx said:
I wrote an email to the GIA website (www.gia.edu/), explaining the situation that I found a ring with their numbers on it. They said that the numbers only correspond to the diamond its self, its weight, size, clarity etc, and it has no information on the owner. Only the Jeweler that sold the ring and a insurance company (if it was ever insured) would have the numbers corresponding with the owners info. They sell it to the jewelers with the matching GIA cert card and thats all. After they are sold to the jewelers they don't know who buys them or where they go after that. It is up to the owner to insure them and correspond the number to there policy. Which would allow it to be traced. So, trying to find the jewelers/insurance company that sold the piece will be practically imposable, for all I know that ring could have been sold in Japan and a tourist lost it. So, I dunno what to do next.

I also went here and did a search..http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/
Only the diamond's specs came up, no owner information.

>>>cough, cough BS<<<
STRAIGHT FROM GIA WEBSITE (AND PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE)
At your request, a diamond may be microscopically inscribed on its girdle with its unique GIA Report Number (referred to as the GIA Inscription Registry), a personal message, or other text, symbols or logos. The GIA Inscription Registry is included in the Diamond Dossier® service. An inscription allows for easy identification of a diamond, a way to personalize the diamond, or serves as a form of branding for the diamond manufacturer or retailer

They keep records of all diamonds that are inscribed. The number, part being the info on the diamond and the other being ID, is easily traced. No sense in making stuff up, who cares what these people think. If your going to sell it then sell it and stop trying to get approval from a bunch of strangers.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
zlathim said:
Hey Dave- Maybe you should go back and read your own post.

I know what I said, but there is no sense talking reason to him. He is going to sell it no matter what amount of reason we give him, so my question is why is he so concerned with what we think?

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
cryptodave said:
zlathim said:
Hey Dave- Maybe you should go back and read your own post.

I know what I said, but there is no sense talking reason to him. He is going to sell it no matter what amount of reason we give him, so my question is why is he so concerned with what we think?

Providing the info on the markings......Dave this one is not as fun as the arguments with the explorer and dfx users but.....you just threw a piece of wood in the fire did'nt you!!! Wow... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sphinx, if you did what you said, then I would not be concerned, I have no reason to doubt your word, nor call you names...............

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Treasure_Hunter said:
I would say you have tried then.

My wifes jewelry is insured on our home owners, but only by the name and the value of the piece. (Example-Diamond wedding ring $3000, Earings $1500).

Good Hunting.

Then you should fix that. Seriously if you have a "floater" or inland marine policy it should clarify what gold karats are, the cut and clarity of the diamond is, and list any identifiable markings such as GIA numbers. This is what I do for a living, why the heck would I make it up? Oh... Thats right, I'm the one everyone hates because I speak the truth so no one listens to me. Right.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

My homeowners is through StateFarm. Jewelry is insured, and in fact collected on one diamond ring lost 7 or 8 years ago. They are listed by item and value, I have the diamond certificates, but per my agent, it is not required as they take your word.

I don't hate anyone..............wait, forgot about my ex......known as the wicked witch of the west.

holeintoe

Jan 4, 2006
Here's your answer, if you wanted to really find the rightful owner of the ring. In order to claim the ring as lost to the insurance company you first have to have a POLICE REPORT. If you were inclined to you could contact the PD for the location and determine if there is a lost report for the ring.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Treasure_Hunter said:
Dave,

My homeowners is through StateFarm. Jewelry is insured, and in fact collected on one diamond ring lost 7 or 8 years ago. They are listed by item and value, I have the diamond certificates, but per my agent, it is not required as they take your word.

I don't hate anyone..............wait, forgot about my ex......known as the wicked witch of the west.

I've never worked for State Farm, so I know not their underwriting guidelines, of course just because your agent doesn't do it doesn't mean its not a viable line item on the endorsement.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Since my earlier rant has been ignored I offer you this.

Personally If I found a ring that could be traced, I would try to find the owner, but to each his own.

How to Fence a traceable Ring to Someone:

Buy yourself a laser engraver. Where the offending numbers are simply write:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

or

Nothing to see here!

With the laser engraver over the GIA numbers.

I suppose you could also steal the laser engraver if you wish to save money.

Sell it to someone who does not care. If they ask what is that stuff on the edge of the diamond say"Wow that is strange, wounder what that means",to them.

Live happily ever after.

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

cryptodave said:
Sphinx said:
I wrote an email to the GIA website (www.gia.edu/), explaining the situation that I found a ring with their numbers on it. They said that the numbers only correspond to the diamond its self, its weight, size, clarity etc, and it has no information on the owner. Only the Jeweler that sold the ring and a insurance company (if it was ever insured) would have the numbers corresponding with the owners info. They sell it to the jewelers with the matching GIA cert card and thats all. After they are sold to the jewelers they don't know who buys them or where they go after that. It is up to the owner to insure them and correspond the number to there policy. Which would allow it to be traced. So, trying to find the jewelers/insurance company that sold the piece will be practically imposable, for all I know that ring could have been sold in Japan and a tourist lost it. So, I dunno what to do next.

I also went here and did a search..http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/
Only the diamond's specs came up, no owner information.

>>>cough, cough BS<<<
STRAIGHT FROM GIA WEBSITE (AND PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE)
At your request, a diamond may be microscopically inscribed on its girdle with its unique GIA Report Number (referred to as the GIA Inscription Registry), a personal message, or other text, symbols or logos. The GIA Inscription Registry is included in the Diamond Dossier® service. An inscription allows for easy identification of a diamond, a way to personalize the diamond, or serves as a form of branding for the diamond manufacturer or retailer

They keep records of all diamonds that are inscribed. The number, part being the info on the diamond and the other being ID, is easily traced. No sense in making stuff up, who cares what these people think. If your going to sell it then sell it and stop trying to get approval from a bunch of strangers.

Yes, the number does allow easy identification of a diamond, a way to personalize the diamond, or serves as a form of branding for the diamond manufacturer or retailer. BUT IT DOES NOT HOLD THE OWNER'S CONTACT INFORMATION!!!!!! IT WILL NOT SAY "JOE BUMBLEF**K" OWNS THIS DIAMOND, HERE IS HIS/HER CONTACT INFO. You, having personal knowledge would know that. As we all do.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Dave I just realized something!!! :o :o :o :o You my friend are arguing with another Explorer user!Sphinx This is funny! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

You guys can end this the fair way...both go buy a dfx and hunt together! ;D

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

Yea, Im getting a kick out of this. ;D

After having a Whites detector and a Explorer......I will never buy a Whites detector again. :o Pouring gas in fire

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Sphinx said:
Yea, Im getting a kick out of this. ;D

After having a Whites detector and a Explorer......I will never buy a Whites detector again. :o Pouring gas in fire

Ok here is what will have to be done....you guys will have to hunt together, you will have to dig dave's holes. Now you ask what is his punishment? >>>He will have to look at that diamond ring on your finger with the markings scratched out!!! :o :o :o :o :o

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

Lol ;D some white-out should do the job! Be good as new!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
They have the record of the information for the owner at the GIA. Of course they are not going to provide any personal information of a client to just anyone calling up. Of course the etching isn't going to have a name and number.

I'm not arguing with you..... Sell it! Thats what you planned on doing and no one is going to convince you otherwise. More power to you!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
DFX-Gregg said:
Dave I just realized something!!! :o :o :o :o You my friend are arguing with another Explorer user!Sphinx This is funny! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

You guys can end this the fair way...both go buy a dfx and hunt together! ;D

Don't confuse me with with this guy. Nor confuse any Explorer user with this guy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread