Need help ID materials

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
As you can probably tell, my dad and I just started artifact hunting. Could anyone please help ID the different types of materials in the photos below? We have been calling the shards and pieces flint, but Molly has stated that a lot of it is Rhyolite. Neither is native to the area we hunt. The closest source is about 100 miles away. Also, does anyone know away of cleaning these materials without damaging them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Brep

Attachments

• material.JPG
    material.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 396
  • material2.JPG
    material2.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PALEOMAN said:
as far as the cleaning goes, a person can wash off traces of the binding adhesive like pine tar. i have points that i found that show this residue clearly. i feel it adds character and tells an interesting story.

I agree there, I wish I could find points with binding adhesive on them. What I clean off is just red soil..

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthernGirl said:
I didn't know that I shouldn't scrub my finds clean :o I have been using a magic eraser sponge and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

SG I've been using Palmolive for 2 years, its fine. But I would change the magic eraser for a tooth brush.
LOL, well we women like things clean..

Molly.

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Molly and everyone,

Thanks for all your input. Heading back to the farm tomorrow (no hunting on Sunday). I will bring a camera and take some photos of the area and any finds. Also, has anyone used Oxiclean to try to clean porous artifacts? Thanks as always...Brep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread