Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently, I've had some time to dig through some of the foreign coins that have accumulated over the decades. Some are rather intriguing.......
Not being very familiar with these coins, I have had to rely on the internet for research, identification and value. This one has me a bit confused.

1939 Irish Farthing Obv.jpg 1939 Irish Farthing Rev.jpg

Different sites are giving me conflicting information. I've seen this listed as a common coin and listed as a key date. It is a first year issue by the Free Irish Republic and some 800,00+ were minted (many more that subsequent years). Some sites list no additional premium value, while others show it to be quite valuable.

I'm relying on you experts here to help with this dilemma. If it has any upside, I'd like to sell it at an upcoming coin show.
Thanks to all.............

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I just typed “1939 Irish Farthing” into eBay and I found one for $10 that’s better condition than that. It’s probably worth $5ish. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just typed “1939 Irish Farthing” into eBay and I found one for $10 that’s better condition than that. It’s probably worth $5ish. Hope that helps!

The 2x2 doesn't help with the actual condition being presented here.......my apologies. And, I found one for online sale in similar condition, slabbed for over $800.
Thanks for the input, BuffaloHunter.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be a proof for over $800. The NGC price guide has the circulation strike valued at $1.00 in XF and only $5.00 in MS60. They have proof valued at $815.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be a proof for over $800. The NGC price guide has the circulation strike valued at $1.00 in XF and only $5.00 in MS60. They have proof valued at $815.

Now that makes sense, l.cutter. Thank you for the clarification............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions