NEED SOME HELP...WHAT TO SAY WHEN ASKING PERMISSION TO HUNT A PROPERTY

dla777

Greenie
Mar 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at detecting only been at it for a few weeks...so far just been doing ballfields,parks and tot lots.
And I'm ready to move on to better area's...I know of a farmhouse that's is slated to be torn down so the property can be used for something else.
But the Historical Commission stepped in and said...HOLD ON THERE,THAT FARMHOUSE DATES BACK TO THE 1750'S AND WE DON'T WANT IT TORN DOWN...So the tear down has been put on hold....While they look for a new suitable location for it to be moved to.

I have never asked for permission to detect as yet...and i plan on asking the owner to hunt this 1750's property.
So what do you say when asking?????
I want to sound like i know what I'm talking about...and say the right things...to better the odds on getting permission.

So is there Any tips,hints,advice you could share?
Thanks for your time reading this post....Ands thanks for any and all replies.

Upvote 0

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new too, from what I have read, if the historical society is poking around, then it might be unlikely that you get the chance to do a search.
But if you can find the owner of the property, then you might try it anyways, especially once the building is removed and the before the new construction begins.

I know that getting a large company to grant permission seems to be a difficult task due to fear of it ending in a personal injury suit or something.

I wonder if a rough draft "release of liability" type form would help get permission granted in those situations....

OP
OP
dla777

dla777

Greenie
Mar 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted One said:
I'm new too, from what I have read, if the historical society is poking around, then it might be unlikely that you get the chance to do a search.
But if you can find the owner of the property, then you might try it anyways, especially once the building is removed and the before the new construction begins.

I know that getting a large company to grant permission seems to be a difficult task due to fear of it ending in a personal injury suit or something.

I wonder if a rough draft "release of liability" type form would help get permission granted in those situations....

That is my plan too ask the owner of the property and leave the historical society out of it all together.

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have gone to ask for permission to detect, I found who was the owner of the land, introduced myself and stated that I came by to ask for permission to metal detect. If they say yes, cool and see whatever appeasements they would request. If they say no, respect it, be polite and thank them for their time.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be sure you tell them how metal detecting works in case they are unfamiliar. let them know how you recover targets with a small trowel, as they may think you are going to use a big shovel to dig up their lawn. tell them there will be no sign of you coming, and that you will respect the property. just be up front and polite...the worst you are going to get is a no.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
just as others said, be polite, introduce yourself and don't walk up to the person with your full-on metal detecting outfit and detector in hand.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here in Miami, I usually get NO for an answer. But I believe in the country people are more friendly and less suspicious. Let us know how it turns out.

From what I read here, it appears that farmers readily give permission to hunt farmed land where the soil is already disturbed in between plantings.. Tell them you will remove any metal trash found.

Ill be following this thread because I could use some tips myself.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I use the honest approach. I tell them that I have COPD and that I also gained 30 lbs when I quit smoking & my doctor tells me I need a hobby that gets me out of the house gets me some exercise and in the fresh air. Also that my wife told me if I don't get out from under her feet and take up a hobby she is going to shoot me. It's all true and the property owners generally get a good laugh out of my story and tell me to go right ahead... I never bring up the subject of liability or turning over any of the finds I make but if the property owner asks then naturally I will do my best to accomodate their wishes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also join the historical society. Mine has contacted me to help locate a 1900 time capsule. Or, if they say no to dirtfishing, offer to donate some or all finds.

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just be polite and honest offer to share the finds if it subject comes ups. I have some cards made up that has my name and cell number on them that i give to the property owner whether they give me permission or not. After I give them the card I tell them if they ever lose any keys or jewelery to give me a call and I'll help locaate the missing property.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I use the pretext that this hobby keeps me out of the bars and off the streets---sort of. I also offer to remove all land mines at no charge. And when the question of splits comes up, since I am not used to finding anything worth more than a buck or two, so I offer 50/50 for anything over a million. But this technique may not work in Vermont and other places where there are grouchy old farmers. If you can't get permission, always leave them laughing. I'll be here all week, enjoy the buffet. I like the card idea. I had a guy stop me when I was working a yard and asked me to find a ring for him. Found it, left my jewelry business card, and he later purchased Christmas presents. A generic digging card may be better.

PS: It helps to develop the proper dialect if you aren't from the South but want to go there to dig. Bunch of awful nice people there, but they don't always warm up to strangers so fast. Not like westerners, where they shoot at you while you are driving down the long driveway to ask permission, but then feed you lunch and talk your ear off.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with NHbandit, " I never bring up the subject of liability or turning over any of the finds I make"... best not to bring up too many topics to "remind them that they are liable AND that the things you dig are really theirs to start with".
Start with an easy one...Frat Houses, then leap-frog through the neighborhood, asking anyone you see in their front yard. It's way easier to get one more when you got one already. Some see me and thought that I was simply running a trimmer and that I am harmless.
On a "cold-call" yard, I start with, " Hi, I am Jack Spratt, from Timbuctoo, I was in town doing some work and have a little time to fill. I am always looking for older yards to metal detect, yours looks great. Would you care if I try? I am very careful. You won't even see that I have been here". ( and you can't, rule #1, careful, clean recovery discipline)
Of course there is small talk, questions, etc, which keeps the momentum positive.
Don't approach with tools, cigs, dirty hands, but with a smile. Don't mention the words, "money, digging, sprinkler/water/electric lines, splits, coins, jewelry, gold, silver, landmines, holes to china, etc."
When asked what I am looking for, I answer " anything old and forgotton, If I find your old front door knob, I will lay it on the porch, OK?".
I have left lot's of keys, padlocks, dresser pulls, relics pertaining to the old house, even lucky tokens with the home owner's name punched in them, but never coins. I don't show coins of value....others may differ on this issue, but that is just me. Once it hits my "goodie-bottle" , it don't come out till home. Best not to wake the "sleeping dog".

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Welcome to the hobby. It never gets easier for me to ask permission. There are times no matter what you say they will say no and other times no matter what you say they will say yes. I am always blown away when someone will allow a total stranger on there private land to find lost artifacts. I stopped into one farm and after asking the owner said I don't give a poop what you do, have at it and started laughing. What a nice guy. I think most people don't realize what is in the ground. I had a different farm owner say sure and another flat out say no. I am 0 for 2 on construction sites due to liability. Friends, family and friends of friends are good to start with. The most important thing is to keep doing it and you will get better in time. Try not to let the rejection get to you. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
dla777

dla777

Greenie
Mar 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies to my post.

I will be talking to the owner of this 1750's property this morning and asking permission to detect.

will update later today as to what i got for an answer.

here's hoping I get the OK...being from the 1750's....I would think there must be a few good things to find.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four more points:

1. Wear clean clothes. No one is going to say yes to someone dressed like a bum. If your clothes are dirty your "I'll be careful" promise will fall on deaf ears.

2. Permission to hunt means permission for you to hunt. Not permission for you and your five best friends. Don't have other hunters in the car waiting for you to get the OK. Group hunt should be no more than two people so as not to intimidate the homeowner. One person does the talking and introduces both people. Both people thank the homeowner regardless of answer.

3. Eye contact. Personally, I don't trust people who don't make eye contact or look away while speaking to me. And, neither does anyone else. Look the homeowner in the eye and speak conversationally as you would to your best friend.

4. if you smoke or chew, don't. Don't do it on the owner's property before, during, or after the hunt.

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
First welcome to Tnet. Second be honest you will fumble all over your words at first but you will get it. Third from what I take on National Historical Society they dont have any say on what stays or goes unless they gave some sort of help or landowner got money from some grant. If they didn't take any help then the owner can let set the thing on fire if he wanted and the Society can just watch. Even if the house is on the registry. Not sure on the last part, but that my two cents.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simple - 50/50 split of finds

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just say -- I'd like to metal detect on your land if you will let me -- I understand you have a very old spot of land , who knows there might be something interesting there in the ground -- if so I'd like a chance to try and find "if theres any bits of history" there before it gets buried under some modern construction --that is of course only if you are ok with me doing so.

be honest polite and straight foreward -- remember this fact *** if you do not ask its always 100% no --so you can only do better % wize by asking and you can't do any worse --and once you know for sure --either you got a new spot to hunt --or--you know to focus your energy's elsewhere.

spots that might be built upon soon need to be hit as soon and as often as possible -- the phase between tear down of old buildings and pre start of new building can be highly productive if one can hunt then.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for asking!!!That is uncommon :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions