NEED SOME HELP...WHAT TO SAY WHEN ASKING PERMISSION TO HUNT A PROPERTY

dla777

Greenie
Mar 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at detecting only been at it for a few weeks...so far just been doing ballfields,parks and tot lots.
And I'm ready to move on to better area's...I know of a farmhouse that's is slated to be torn down so the property can be used for something else.
But the Historical Commission stepped in and said...HOLD ON THERE,THAT FARMHOUSE DATES BACK TO THE 1750'S AND WE DON'T WANT IT TORN DOWN...So the tear down has been put on hold....While they look for a new suitable location for it to be moved to.

I have never asked for permission to detect as yet...and i plan on asking the owner to hunt this 1750's property.
So what do you say when asking?????
I want to sound like i know what I'm talking about...and say the right things...to better the odds on getting permission.

So is there Any tips,hints,advice you could share?
Thanks for your time reading this post....Ands thanks for any and all replies.

Upvote 0

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I agree with not asking the historical society. They will likely say "hands off" before you even finish asking the question, not realizing that you may uncover historic artifacts that could benefit their own research efforts.

There is an interesting conundrum with local historical societies and detectorists. A historical society will often prevent metal detectorists from working a site out of paranoia, then do nothing when developers move in to destroy it. When I lived in the DC area, I recall that there was a site in the Frederick, MD area that was a well-known Civil War skirmish site, which was off limits to detectorists for years. It was deemed A-OK for a big-money developer to build townhouses on top of it in 2002-3, though. Hard to believe, but I watched it unfold with my own eyes. It's amazing what a little political power and a whole lotta money can do for a developer.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
testing123 said:
just as others said, be polite, introduce yourself and don't walk up to the person with your full-on metal detecting outfit and detector in hand.

This is the best way to do it
and tell the owner they wil
never be able to tell that you
was there, cause your holes
will be refilled and all trash
taken with you.

Floyd

Jan 17, 2011
Right behind you
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by saying "Hi my name is Floyd" but only if you're name is Floyd, otherwise insert your name. Be honest and say what you want to do. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they will say yes, or they will look at you like you're from outer space and say no. In my experience, about a 1/3 say yes and are really cool about it. Maybe if they have a dog offer to clean up some poop or bring them a pie or whatever, but don't bring them a poop pie, that's not cool. Make sure you wear clean clothes and don't look like an ax murder, that helps too. As for as that farm house, ask whoever owns it now, all they can say is yes or no and you'll either detect it or move on.

The places you mentioned are great to detect too . Try to be good stewart of the hobby and clean up your trash and don't leave messy holes. People will come up to you in public places and ask you what you are doing. I would say that almost all of these folks are really interested in what you are doing. They can be leads too if you play your cards right. The parks, ball fields and tot lots, woods, can really pay off and are great fun to detect. Some of those areas might of had old houses or taverns and such on them that are long gone yet the goodies remain. Get some old plat maps of your area and try to line them up with google earth, you will be amazed at what you will find and you won't have to clean up poop. Looks like you're on Mass from your avatar so if that's correct, here's a link to get you started looking for maps. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

http://historical.mytopo.com/townlist.cfm?stateabr=MA

Floyd

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
First Welcome to T-net.. :hello:

I've been at it for about three years and I was very shy to ask anyone if I could hunt thier property. I did alot of research in the places I've hunted and I have to say they've all allowed me to swing my detector. In Minnesota the Historical Society really hates it when you ask private owner's. I don't know why but they do. I asked four residence in a famious location if I could hunt their property and they all said go ahead. I explained how I would dig and how I clean up the area by showing them an example of digging a plug. I also adviced them I would give them all the relic's I find for the exception of the coins and only one out of four said great with no problem. They all knew i was hunting for coins and history so that made it pretty easy.. At one site I found the home owner's house tag back in the 1850's-1900's.

He actually gave it to the Historical Society and I have been invited back to hunt another location close. But it's only because I gave it back. I love this hobby and to me it's a hobby. If I find Gold or Silver it's a bonus for me. But it's the thrill of bringing back the history to the surface.

Don't be shy. Just be polite. I would say I'm batting about 800% and that is worth the time. Another trick is to approach them when they are outside doing their own work. You stand a better chance of actually showing them how it works..
Good Luck and I hope this helped.

Twin D

Attachments

• house_44.jpg
    house_44.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 538
  • house_44.jpg
    house_44.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 537

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
My approach to this topic has been a bit different than most here. 'Relic hunting' has become a bad phrase in my area due to nighthawkers and bad practices. So I avoid that phrase in favor of 'metal detection'. Dress neatly, don't show up in field camos even if it's what tyou wear while detecting. Some find it intimidating. I find khaki pants and a sport shirt work well. Be polite and well-spoken.

One thing I mention is that I am writing a book concerning the Civil War's 150th anniversary. Which is true, but seems to help. People love to relate what they know about their land. I find it very helpful, but try not to be led astray by what they 'think' occured there. I also bring some decaying relics to show them and relate how these relics are wasting away beneath the ground. Soon they'll be destroyed by the elements and that history will be lost. This seems to make an impact and lend some immediacy to your hunt. Then I show them how I remove a plug and replace it, disturbing their yard as little as possible. Finally, I point out that my research will be shared with them concerning their property. I have even considered developing a report detailing my speculations based on the artifacts found. This gives them a value to your presence. I always downplay any monetary value of artifacts. When you reduce it to money, people often deny access. They doon't want you getting rich off their land. I can't blame them, either.

This has made good friends of several landowners. As a salesman, you have to get used to hearing, 'no'. Don't be discouraged. Few people actually want you to take things from their land.

captain Kidd

Greenie
Dec 15, 2010
Center, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
I have been hunting the parkway strips along older streets. I just knock on the door, introduce myself, and tell them my hobby is metal detecting. They are usually less protective of the parkway than their front yard. Sometimes they are interested in watching and when they see how careful I am they let me do the yard. Of course this is a small town and the people are really friendly. I don't know how it would be in other areas. Good luck.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I completely agree with what everybody here has already said! :icon_thumright: I made my "first ever" request this past Monday to hunt the yard of an 1810 homestead. Now the house had been torn down 3 years ago to build a golf course on the property, but the area the house stood on was still unused.

I felt nervous and worried about what the land owner might think when I told him what I wanted to do. :-\ All I said to him was, "my hobby is metal detecting and I'm hoping you might allow me to detect your property down by the road." I explained to him that "I'm very careful with what I do and how I do it. I remove all scrap metals and iron from the soil and dispose of it properly." He looked at me and said, "sure go right ahead!" I couldn't believe it, was it really that easy? Yes it is! :wink:

Good luck,
Dave

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Squigmeister

Mar 29, 2011
Somewhere in Minnesota
Detector(s) used
ace 350, whites coinmaster 5000/D
My grandmothers area has houses that have been torn down and built back up quite a few times and almost all the residents are older folks who dont mow their fields/ yards. So i ask if i can hunt their yard and tell them that if they let me i will mow their entire field for free because it would make digging easier. They all have said yes but the down side is it takes 2 hours a yard with a rider, so i try to do all the yards at one and then hit the lots. but i wont ask anyone who is young or lives to close to the city because they get all freaky, i mean its not like i would destroy their ghopher infested or dried up yard.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

Sometimes I offer a service to them. I trade in tyres (all types) farmers use tyres, get punctures, so sometimes I go in search for land with my work van, it can be a ice breaker sometimes :icon_thumleft:

SS

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
step aside sir, ill have to check you yard for radiation!! no time to chit chat! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread