image-1072638838.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 176

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that the cylinder is still loaded with some rounds. You don't give the caliber size but believe it's a .22 blank starting gun. These were sometimes used to train hunting dogs.
they are just blank rounds and don't fire a projectile. Nice find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbheigle0605

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
I see that the cylinder is still loaded with some rounds. You don't give the caliber size but believe it's a .22 blank starting gun. These were sometimes used to train hunting dogs.
they are just blank rounds and don't fire a projectile. Nice find.

Interesting! I assume its a 22 cal. Thank you!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a cylinder from a revolver, or at least not a real one. A real cylinder is a solid peice with the chambers bored through like the on I've pictured. Possibly part of a toy gun, but I'm not sure.

empty-gun-thumb13647333.jpg

Upvote 0

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pretty sure you can mark as SOLVED, lol....some pics for you

Attachments

• blank_pistol.jpg
    blank_pistol.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 319
  • starter pistol 2.jpg
    starter pistol 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 193
  • starter 3.jpg
    starter 3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 126
  • starter pistol cy.jpg
    starter pistol cy.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 929
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I frequently say y'all in my posts. So often that I'm surprised you haven't noticed. I even did it twice in one of my posts earlier today. Also, check my Avatar, and location.

My personal favorite from the forum, though, is North Carolina gal Breezie's signature, "Southern smiles." Makes this old-style Southern Gentleman's heart hum Dixie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbheigle0605

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
I frequently say y'all in my posts. So often that I'm surprised you haven't noticed. I even did it twice in one of my posts earlier today. Also, check my Avatar, and location.

My personal favorite from the forum, though, is North Carolina gal Breezie's signature, "Southern smiles." Makes this old-style Southern Gentleman's heart hum Dixie.

Haha! Love it!!!! Southern pride! You're awesome CannonballGuy! Thanks for taking the time explaining in detail the answers to our questions. Really appreciate it :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbheigle0605

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
I moved from Pittsburgh to Florida. Went from yinz to youz to y'all LOL. Yinz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Y'all used to sound so funny but now it sounds normal. So does over yonder

Never heard of Yinz! learn something new everyday. I say "Fixin' to" obsessively. Oh and of course "over yonder"!!! Funny, I'm constantly on my kids about using proper English so I'm trying to tame my southern accent. So darn hard at times!

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The item I believe, is something other than a gun cylinder. At first glance the general shape may fool the eye into this thought, yet many key features are inconsistent with what we should be seeing for a revolver cylinder. First; I have never seen a brass gun cylinder ever, as brass is much too soft of a metal to contain the pressure of gunpowder charge. Second; all the gun cylinders I have ever seen examples of (including the starter guns/blanks guns shown), have cylinders that are fully flush on both ends, and not with any type of recessed channel (what purpose would a channel have in a gun cylinder, further reducing the strength and function of the piece). Third; a gun cylinder requires a means of advancement each time the hammer is cocked and the trigger is pulled (this would be a radius set of raised slots or teeth on one end of the cylinder, where the advance mechanism would catch and turn the cylinder). Fourth, there appears to be rusty iron or steel in at least two of the holes or chambers on this piece, suggesting that at one time these were pins or bolts (note as well, evidence of hacksaw cuts going across the face, where these iron or steel pins were cut off).

The questionable features warrants this being reevaluated, and marked "Unsloved" in the meantime. :icon_scratch:

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread